SOTO - Divak

Stefan

Yeah as bad as the feedback has been about this latest JSS project, I am a big fan of the guy and I am keen to check this out. I'm not expecting to like it based on what others have said but there is a glimmer of hope in the comments by Glen that I might enjoy a song or two, at least. Will let you know how that goes.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah as bad as the feedback has been about this latest JSS project, I am a big fan of the guy and I am keen to check this out. I'm not expecting to like it based on what others have said but there is a glimmer of hope in the comments by Glen that I might enjoy a song or two, at least. Will let you know how that goes.

I would definitely check out 'Paranoia' and 'Unblame' - those 2 are great. My 2 favs by a mile. I will download those 2 for sure and add to my Soto playlist.

I also really like 'Suckerpunch' (crank that up and tell me if that doesnt kick major arse....esp the solo) and 'Misfired' - i dunno I just like the chorus on that one - it's unusual. 'Time' is OK too although he missed a chance for a serious solo with just a rolling riff instead....pity.

Be warned tho there are some really weak songs on this - things like 'Cyber Masquerade', 'In My Darkest Hour' is just too long and dreary and the last song misfires pretty badly imo.

Not really worthy of a purchase but a few songs downloaded, yep.

Gave this a complete listen to yesterday on Spotify.... not good, not horrible, just bland and boring.

Yep, I think I may have used the same two words above, but that's what this is to me. Painfully pointless music.

Gave this a complete listen to yesterday on Spotify.... not good, not horrible, just bland and boring.

Yep, I think I may have used the same two words above, but that's what this is to me. Painfully pointless music.

I would agree in the main part, but I do like 'Paranoia' and 'Unblame'

That's about it for me though with this album.

Not to worry though as JSS wants you to hate it as you like melodic rock......it means he's doing his job right :whistle:

[ie alienating his fans]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big JSS fan, but I really have no desire to check this out after reading these posts. I have little free time as is, no use wasting it.

So you're letting others' opinions define your music choices?

Not sure if any of these negative posts were made AFTER listening to the whole album.

Weird to me, but if your free time is that scarce, then I guess you do what you've got to do.

I know, and trust, the opinions of most of the members of this board. I also have about 4000 go to albums in my collection. Why waste my time on this shit?

I'm a big JSS fan, but I really have no desire to check this out after reading these posts. I have little free time as is, no use wasting it.

Not sure if any of these negative posts were made AFTER listening to the whole album.

Weird to me, but if your free time is that scarce, then I guess you do what you've got to do.

I know, and trust, the opinions of most of the members of this board. I also have about 4000 go to albums in my collection. Why waste my time on this shit?

I know their opinions too but would ALWAYS make my own mind up.

As would 99% of the folk who have posted saying its shit.

I know their opinions too but would ALWAYS make my own mind up.

As would 99% of the folk who have posted saying its shit.

You're one of the voices I trust, Glen. I would NEVER let anyone dictate my musical taste. Next to my wife and kids, music is high on the list. Again, I have, at least, 4,000 or so go to albums. I can live the rest of my life happily without hearing anything new. I'd rather spend my time with something I know and trust. I just don't feel the need to try and force something on myself. Sorry if this sounds like I'm pissed, I'm not at all. That gets lost in typing, as opposed to speaking. It's all good here.

I thought the same thing as you Clutch and CureTheSane, but went away and checked this out anyway. To be honest I feel that the criticism toward Divak has been really harsh and unwarranted. It's not a bad album, just different from what we all expect from one of the heroes of our genre and not really heavy harmonies material - it's alternative metal (with a great vocalist and top musicians). I'd say if a new band came out with this album as their debut, they would find a good fan base and do well. I think JSS will struggle to find too many new fans with Divak because he's already an established artist and it is really only going to be his existing fans who give it a try (though maybe not it seems when reading this topic). Don't get me wrong this will not be in my top 10 or 20 of 2016 and probably won't get played often compared to the Defiants, Treat and all the other brilliant album of this year, but this really isn't a bad album, just different from what we expect. Give it a chance guys....there's some cool solos on here if nothing else. I'd be surprised if anyone one this forum couldn't find a track or two that they like on here.

The Elder - despised when it was released because it deviated from what was expected.

Belly To Belly - Probably still hated because it was so different. I love it because I didn't go in expecting Cherry Pie

Slang - People seem to like at least some of it these days, when it was released, not very well regarded.

Motley S/T - still has a tonne of people who hate it, even though Mick and Tommy think of it as the best album.

Van Hagar - I know heaps of people who just won't do 'no DLR VH'

I look at every release with fresh ears and as few expectations as possible.

I've been guilty of this in the past as well. Never gave Chinese Democracy a fair listen. Probably should, many say it's pretty good.

But then I listened to HCSS new album 4 or 5 times until I gave up. I really tried, but couldn't do it.

The Elder - despised when it was released because it deviated from what was expected.

Belly To Belly - Probably still hated because it was so different. I love it because I didn't go in expecting Cherry Pie

Slang - People seem to like at least some of it these days, when it was released, not very well regarded.

Motley S/T - still has a tonne of people who hate it, even though Mick and Tommy think of it as the best album.

Van Hagar - I know heaps of people who just won't do 'no DLR VH'

I look at every release with fresh ears and as few expectations as possible.

I've been guilty of this in the past as well. Never gave Chinese Democracy a fair listen. Probably should, many say it's pretty good.

But then I listened to HCSS new album 4 or 5 times until I gave up. I really tried, but couldn't do it.

Yeah I'm guilty of ignoring some albums in the past based on the opinions of others. A lot of us hate it when our favourite artists / bands try something different or change direction. Sometimes it works and quite often it doesn't. Divak obviously deviates from the JSS album that many of us have come to know and love. But it's not a bad album, it really isn't. IMO of course. Just think it's a shame to read all of this negativity toward his new work, particularly when people aren't giving it a fair go (or a go at all).

Yep, that's what pissed me off.

The mentality of "wow, people here don't like it, so I'm not going to bother"

Give it a fair listen, and if you hate it, come out and say so, based on what actually entered your ears.

If you like his music, then you should be prepared to give a new disc a few listens.

Give it a fair listen, and if you hate it, come out and say so, based on what actually entered your ears.

If you like his music, then you should be prepared to give a new disc a few listens.

Sorry this pisses you off, I just don't care to hear this. If you're ever in North Carolina, I'd LOVE to talk you about this, face to face.

Sorry this pisses you off, I just don't care to hear this. If you're ever in North Carolina, I'd LOVE to talk you about this, face to face.

You mean rather than over a keyboard?

Note to self: Don't ever go to North Carolina

lolz :9mm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

So I've given this a fair go.

I am not a huge JSS fan. I tend to find much of his stuff a bit bland and boring.

But I listened to this without bias and it's not a bad album.

Paranoia
Unblame
Forgotten
Time
... are all really good songs

Weight Of The World
My Darkest Hour
.... are pretty good songs

Awakened
... is a weird song. I wish is started at 3:30 and moved from there