SOTO - Divak

Stefan

I'll admit that I suspected that most of the early negative comments on this thread were from the more AOR oriented people.

and also from classic hard rock/heavy metal people, not modern one

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe.

We get to the point where minor differences between genres are made and nobody really wants that.

I consider myself traditional 80's hard rock. Some will say hair metal, glam metal, heavy metal, cock rock, etc etc

Nut I simply class myself as hard rock and I like variations from there.

I consider this a variation, and not too far from hard rock.

In fact I hear a lot of hooks etc that are pleasing after one listen.

I'm not a big AOR fan, although I do like some of it. Probably leaning more the Guiffria side of AOR than a lot of what I see here.
Most of it is syrupy with the synthesizers etc to me.

I will give this a complete listen on Spotify this week but none of the samples are that promising.

For me this a real step back from the debut but we'll see

I think i would have mixed it up. Personally id struggle just listening to modern rock for weeks on end.

Yep, thought about 50 times through this whole process that I should or should still go back and do all letter A bands at once etc (modern and not)... but for whatever reason, I didn't. I think it was because I thought I'd at least get some conclusions on at least the 1980's through to 2000 and I could put that to bed and concentrate on 2000 onward with the modern rock stuff. But I realised a little while back that there are still CDRs and MP3s I need to locate to really finalise the 80's stuff itself. It's all a shambles, but a hell of a lot better than when I had nothing rated / organised and filed. I'll get there... it'll just be a few years. And modern rock will not be weeks on end; but months. Probably another year.

Anyway, back on track with this thread... jeez I hate all this rubbish talk about genres and AOR fans not liking stuff and blah blah. Okay, I'm sure there are people out there who like AOR and nothing else. Or metal and nothing else. There probably are people out there.

But generally, and definitely 100% in my case, people just like good songs or not. This Soto stuff is not any heavier than most stuff I listen to. It's not out of my comfort zone; it's not a style I hate or anything complex. In my opinion, they're just really weak songs. There's nothing more to it. Dull, boring and drab music, completely devoid of hooks or interesting choruses and just really, really non-descript, boring songs. That's what it is to me.

Anyway, to each their own. This stuff charted? Where, and in what capacity did that happen??

Yeah i thought that - what chart??

Also its nice to set out with the sole intention of alienating all your life long fans ;)

I genuinely don't actually "get" his target audience. The majority of heavy modern rock these days (stuff like Bring Me The Horizon or Killswitch Engage, for instance) is overloaded with melody. Yeah, they're pretty heavy bands, but being heavy is no excuse for not writing good songs. I just don't "get" his plan here. Why can't he do the heavy modern thing, but still write good melodic songs? Why must it be one or the other?

I didn't like this stuff, good lord, I even prefer the stuff he did with Kryst The Conqueror over this, but his performance is in great shape and standards.

Thankfully, I stopped collecting Yngwie related stuff some years ago, and I don't have to get it. Thank you, mr. Leven,for this.

I listened to this on Spotify last night.

The first 4 tracks i didnt mind too much - the band were tight, JSS sounded good as usual, some interesting elements, a couple of cool solos.

Unfortunately after that there is very little of interest. It all sounds a bit samey, very NU metallish which is a shame.

I had hoped that JSS would take some of the aggression and promise shown on the debut and really hone this into something pretty awesome and melodic but this is just not the case.

Onto the next.....and thankfully the next is The Defiants and Treat :)

I'm a big JSS fan, but I really have no desire to check this out after reading these posts. I have little free time as is, no use wasting it.

So you're letting others' opinions define your music choices?

Not sure if any of these negative posts were made AFTER listening to the whole album.

Weird to me, but if your free time is that scarce, then I guess you do what you've got to do.

I'm a big JSS fan, but I really have no desire to check this out after reading these posts. I have little free time as is, no use wasting it.

Not sure if any of these negative posts were made AFTER listening to the whole album.

Weird to me, but if your free time is that scarce, then I guess you do what you've got to do.

If 20 dudes are calling the sky blue and no one at all is calling it lilac, I'm pretty sure you can take their word for it, that the sky is blue. ;)

If 20 dudes are calling the sky blue and no one at all is calling it lilac, I'm pretty sure you can take their word for it, that the sky is blue. ;)

I actually agree with Cure's sentiment - no matter what the album or comments if it was a favourite artist of mine I would check it out rather than just dismiss it.

I actually agree with Cure's sentiment - no matter what the album or comments if it was a favourite artist of mine I would check it out rather than just dismiss it.

I have stated many times similar sentiments, but in this case, I just think it's an open and closed case. Very rarely is it this black and white. This new stuff is just shit, and there's no way of getting around it.

I have stated many times similar sentiments, but in this case, I just think it's an open and closed case. Very rarely is it this black and white. This new stuff is just shit, and there's no way of getting around it.

I tend to agree with you on this album, but the samples do not reveal some pretty killer guitar solos etc....which are present so I would still urge Clutch to check it out.

I tend to agree with you on this album, but the samples do not reveal some pretty killer guitar solos etc....which are present so I would still urge Clutch to check it out.

I'd personally always urge someone to check something out to make up their own mind. I guess the difference in this case is that absolutely no one is positive about this music. So it's not like you could be thinking, 'Well 99% of people hate it, but Craig thinks it's okay. Maybe I'll try it, because Craig's pretty cool and I like the left side of his face, especially his cheek bones... and his hair. Mostly the fringe, but overall his hair's pretty sweet. I wish it was mine. I wonder if he'd mind if I cut it off and glued it on my face, like a moustache.'

I'd personally always urge someone to check something out to make up their own mind. I guess the difference in this case is that absolutely no one is positive about this music. So it's not like you could be thinking, 'Well 99% of people hate it, but Craig thinks it's okay. Maybe I'll try it, because Craig's pretty cool and I like the left side of his face, especially his cheek bones... and his hair. Mostly the fringe, but overall his hair's pretty sweet. I wish it was mine. I wonder if he'd mind if I cut it off and glued it on my face, like a moustache.'

I guess the simple question is this -

If Danger Danger released a new album in 2017 with Ted Poley on vocals and everyone on this board said it was poor would you listen to it ??

Yes or No ??

I don't need a politician like long winded response - just a simple 'yes' or 'no'

I just think it's an open and closed case. Very rarely is it this black and white. This new stuff is just shit, and there's no way of getting around it.

I'd personally always urge someone to check something out to make up their own mind. I guess the difference in this case is that absolutely no one is positive about this music.

...lolz....

Anyway, I'm not butthurt or anything like that.

My favorite band is Hot Action Cop - a band that would probably be slammed to shit here.

I have ABBA, Sarah Brightman and Yanni in my CD collection

I like that I like, and often the majority don't.
Like I just said in another thread, I'm not taken with The Defiants. I didn't post it on that thread as I may be seen as starting shit, particularly as I'm still kinda new here.

The music sounds OK, but probably too true to 20 or 30 years ago, and I guess my tastes have changed a bit.

I still like the old D2 stuff, but their new stuff that I didn't grow up with, I find hard to get in to.

So I seem to like this SOTO (not an amazing album by any means, but I dig it) and I seem to be the only one.
On the other hand I seem to be the only one not having wet dreams about The Defiants.

I could start to think I don't belong lol

Just a couple of differences in tastes though.

I think we'll find that I am not a huge fan of the more AOR music, and I'll pretty much just leave it alone rather than rip on it as there's no point in pointing out over and over that it's not my style.

The person who is going to suffer most through all this is JSS.

He'll be googling around looking for kind words about his latest piece of art and he'll come across this thread with 5 pages of replies.

Then he'll open it.... lol

If Danger Danger released a new album in 2017 with Ted Poley on vocals and everyone on this board said it was poor would you listen to it ??

Yes or No ??

I don't need a politician like long winded response - just a simple 'yes' or 'no'

Of course I would. But I'm me, and I always would. I am simply saying that in Clutch's time-restrained predicament, I think it'd be a very safe call to leave this alone.

Yes or No ??

so it a yes then - thanks...........off you go Clutch

Yes or No ??

I would, yes. Neither universal acclaim nor condemnation should preclude anyone from making their own assessment. In fact I'm surprised that anyone would suggest it, especially since (using SOTO as an example) such an assessment can be done at no cost (Spotify).

The great Solomon Asch comes to rescue... :tumbsup:

Yes or No ??

I would, yes. Neither universal acclaim nor condemnation should preclude anyone from making their own assessment. In fact I'm surprised that anyone would suggest it, especially since (using SOTO as an example) such an assessment can be done at no cost (Spotify).

which is exactly how I assessed it......and to be honest there are 2 or 3 tracks which I might download for my JSS play list :)

• My Little Pony

The great Solomon Asch comes to rescue... :tumbsup: