Rick Springfield - Rocket Science

Stefan

Rocket Science is neither lyrically or nasally influenced by country. It's just a RS pop/rock record with country instruments.

Thats what I was thinking. I remember the 70s and 80s Springfield being more "Rock" oriented. It was a different audience listening then. Rick still rocks. And he does have some songs that are great "rock" songs. But like a lot of bands/artists that have lasted for so long, their music seems to change some with the era's.

Like I said I think he still rocks, but has a easier listening sound. And like Andrew said Pop/Rock. I think Radio friendly can be used. Except sadly, you will never hear "New" Springfield (or other artist from the 70s/80s) music on stations today. But I am enjoying Ricks new one too. ;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocket Science is neither lyrically or nasally influenced by country. It's just a RS pop/rock record with country instruments.

There are a few songs with a slant but it's really not more than an influence and it works well.

Anybody who dosent listen to it because of fear of a country vibe is missing out on a truly wonderful album.

Getting into it now and I really thing it's an amazing piece. Perhaps not quite as good as the last but that one was one of my favourite albums in the last few year's

I said it early on after listening to the samples regarding the "modern country" element and to sum it up a second time this release is akin to the Because They Can release by Nelson or paired alongside something Keith Urban would do. NOT country by definition in the least but that new wave of pop rock country that is oh SO prevalent on the airwaves today.

And I quite like the samples as I did quite like the Nelson record so many years ago...

Thats what I was thinking. I remember the 70s and 80s Springfield being more "Rock" oriented. It was a different audience listening then. Rick still rocks. And he does have some songs that are great "rock" songs. But like a lot of bands/artists that have lasted for so long, their music seems to change some with the era's.

Like I said I think he still rocks, but has a easier listening sound. And like Andrew said Pop/Rock. I think Radio friendly can be used. Except sadly, you will never hear "New" Springfield (or other artist from the 70s/80s) music on stations today. But I am enjoying Ricks new one too. ;)

I remember hearing 'Will I' on the radio on holidays what is now many, many years ago... but I was very surprised at the time.

A perfect Pop rock/New country crossover, typically RS, but with a bit of a twist with the instrumentation used, which, at the end of the day,is pretty much the difference between a lot of the new country stuff and some of the more melodic/AOR records that are coming out. It seems that throwing in a few lap steels and violins in the mix seems to freak out some of our shall we say 'Precious' rock fans ;). Anyway, banjos or no banjos, this is a superb record and a fine addition to Mr. Springfield' legacy,

Well, my mom always thought I was precious anyway - except when I'd put a hockey puck through a window, or swipe the last of the cookies. There's good use of violin, such as Nash The Slash or Ben Mink with Canadian trio FM, or Nikolo Kotsev with Brazen Abbot, or Mark Wood on his wicked instrumental albums, or whomever plays on Baltimoore's Contradiction track on their Original Sin album, or even Billy Currie with Ultravox. Then there's some dipshit with a big, stupid-looking stetson, wanking away on a fiddle while some country-crooning yahoo waxes on about how "country" they are. You know - idiotic drivel about which condiments they prefer on their hot dogs and such. There's good use of lap steel or pedal steel like Ken Greer in Red Rider, or David Lindley's definitive version of Mercury Blues. Then there's some other dipshit with an equally-big, stupid-looking stetson crapping out screechy, twangy crappola while another country-crooning ass-backwards hillbilly warbles on about their pick-up truck, or Nascar, or some other lyrically-ridiculous topic from their extremely limited scope. Not saying Rick Springfield fits into my definition of country; just saying his music and country are not my cup of tea, so it would be a waste of my time listening to either - a complete waste of time with both elements combined.

• 3 weeks later...

Giving this album a complete listen finally. Nope. Sorry. Doesn't work for me AT ALL.

Then again, I absolutely LOATHE country music and anything with a twang, either vocally or instrumentally, so the strong country influences naturally would not be up my alley.

There are occasional passages that I really like harmonically, but then the country comes back in, which just ruins the music for me.

*shrug*

• My Little Pony

Had the chance to grab this one for $10 but chose Black Country Communion 2. Right move or no?

Haha. Well, I would say that BCC is always the right move.

• 2 weeks later...

I had low expectation when trying this but turns out this is such a great album wow works fine for me, love majority of the songs here and spinning the whole thing for the third time. Anybody love this too ? sounds like a step up from his last but I remember the song 'Let Me In' was from his 2012 album, is this a newly recorded version ? what was the purpose of slipping it in the new album ?

Ive not had enough time with it yet. Love the first 4 tracks but gets a bit twangy after that. But as i said really only listened once so far so cant judge.

I've listen enough to decide not to buy it. It swings in the 60-65 range of values.

2nd full listen

No way are these 6-6.5 songs.

Aside from a couple in the middle they are mostly 8+

Some very fine melodies and hooks in here.

Not gonna bother with the ratings system that seems to be in place here.

For me it's a great solid album, with much diversity and a fresh enough sound.

Not as 'country' as I was led to believe. One song is leaning towards that, but I didn't really notice any others in the couple of listens I've given it.

I've listen enough to decide not to buy it. It swings in the 60-65 range of values.

2nd full listen

Not in the mood of these percentages' wars :tumbsup: You know that you could also get 6 from a combination of a 4 and a 8 song.

2nd full listen

Not in the mood of these percentages' wars :tumbsup: You know that you could also get 6 from a combination of a 4 and a 8 song.

Yeah sod %'s - just saying simply this -

I really like 12 of the songs. 2 i could do without.

Strong album from Rick.

• 3 months later...