The Defiants (Paul Laine/Bruno Ravel/Rob Marcello) - s/t

Stefan

My favourites so far are - the beautifully composed 'That's when I ll stop loving you', melodic bliss 'Underneath the stars' & 'Take me back', and 'Save me tonight' is just as good. Rest of the album is good with 'Runaway' and 'Last Kiss' being my least favourites. I think the album is definitely a grower.

Initially "That's..." was in my top 5. But it's probably 1:40-to 1:53 longer than what I'd wished for.

I get your point. Not just this song but the entire album songs except track 1 are lengthy. I really don't have an issue a song being quite long if the song structure is made in that way. But yes, not even a single song in this album is at 3 mins rang which to me is quite unusual.

doesn't seem to affect the quality though - sometimes long songs just repeat the chorus for 2 mins which is usually awful, but theres more going on here so I don't notice it as much.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't actually notice any single song on here dragging. That's when and why I hate long songs, but if I hadn't seen it mentioned here already, I actually wouldn't have even noticed these songs were long. I guess that's a good thing.

Ha, to each their own and together alone. I've listen to X Japan's Art of Life + Fates Warning's Ivory Gates of Dream + Shadow Gallery's First Light countless times and I never get bored.

I can't listen to that chorus once more anytime soon.

Usually long tracks on hard rock were suffered with repetitive chorus or stretched unnecessary guitar solo,

in this case, that song is still perfectly fine with 6 minutes in, just like Estranged or November Rain, a lengthy ballad but every second of it matters

Ha, to each their own and together alone. I've listen to X Japan's Art of Life + Fates Warning's Ivory Gates of Dream + Shadow Gallery's First Light countless times and I never get bored.

I can't listen to that chorus once more anytime soon.

Just adding to the list the mythical 22:34 minutes "At Day's End" from the latest dissertation from Redemption. As the title insinuates the end seems unapproachable, like a Zeno's Paradox, but gladly that's not the case, on contrary to the Defiants track which is never ending.

Usually long tracks on hard rock were suffered with repetitive chorus or stretched unnecessary guitar solo,

in this case, that song is still perfectly fine with 6 minutes in, just like Estranged or November Rain, a lengthy ballad but every second of it matters

No way this belongs to the category of Fighting Back the Tears, the best ballad ever composed.

Okay.... about to say something weird here......

Do some of these songs on the Defiants disc almost have a Blink 182 tinge to them or am I completely crazy. I 100% felt it in at least 2 songs. If I ever stop listening to Treat, I will point out which ones.

• My Little Pony

Do some of these songs on the Defiants disc almost have a Blink 182 tinge to them or am I completely crazy. I 100% felt it in at least 2 songs. If I ever stop listening to Treat, I will point out which ones.

That's weird. You're weird. Stop being so weird.

That's weird. You're weird. Stop being so weird.

Weird is my normal! :rofl2:

Absolutely! One of those you're referring to must be ''Underneath The Stars'' but only the verse. Like I mentioned earlier some songs do have a pop punk feel to them. But it's always just parts of songs and they manage to turn them around with great hooks and harmonies. That's why they're so addictive

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. This is a brilliant album and my favourite of 2016 so far. Still can't decide on my favourite tracks...more spins needed.

As for the comments above re the pop/punk influence - I can definitely hear that as well - on some tracks much more than others but it's a good thing. I was more thinking 40 Ft Ringo type of thing rather than Blink 182, but I get what you're saying.

I'll throw 88% at this one. Very nice!

I agree with that pop punk reference as well....I think I hear it in a few of the songs in the second half of the album.

Although, I get a lot of different vibes on this album....Some Bon Jovi...Some Lynch Mob...Some Danger Danger....Some pop punk. I even get a bit of a Gotthard vibe from "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" with the way the vocals are presented in that song.

I really like how this album meshes all that together and Paul Laine really can sing.

Great album and been pretty much spinning it nonstop since the 15th. I'll be getting Treat tonight though so I'll finally be able to see how that stacks up. I have high hopes after seeing the comments in the Treat thread.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. This is a brilliant album and my favourite of 2016 so far. Still can't decide on my favourite tracks...more spins needed.

As for the comments above re the pop/punk influence - I can definitely hear that as well - on some tracks much more than others but it's a good thing. I was more thinking 40 Ft Ringo type of thing rather than Blink 182, but I get what you're saying.

I'll throw 88% at this one. Very nice!

I just listened to the song When The Lights Go Down and for some reason i was having Ray Gillen visions. Jake E. Lee needs to hook up with Paul Laine

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Pulled this album out today as I'm pumped I should get to see these guys live at MRF5 in Chicago. Pretty awesome.

Have to say this album has really held up well. Still sounds fantastic to me and is really a well put together album IMO. I really like how most of the songs seem to really have some "substance" to them and aren't all just standard 3 minute songs or whatever.

Hoping that maybe we'll have heard much more about album #2 by the time next May rolls around.

• 6 months later...

It's been almost two years since the album came out...... does anyone know if any of the band members ever mentioned a possible follow up? I can't imagine them leaving it at only one album after the great response they got for the debut

I could sure use a new instant hit like ''Love And Bullets''