The Defiants (Paul Laine/Bruno Ravel/Rob Marcello) - s/t

Stefan

Agree 100%. I like how the songs all have some "meat" to them.

Take Me Back is my favorite tune...for me it's right with Falling by Nordic Union for song of the year.

Great album...and haven't heard Treat yet :)

On about spin 4 now.

This is scarily good. Kind of what i imagined a Jovi album between the bubblegum of Slippery and the seriousness of New Jersey would have sounded.

Production is top notch. Solos are outstanding.

I was worried about the song length but the songs just breeze by....its almost like your at your own personal gig.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Me Back is my favorite tune...for me it's right with Falling by Nordic Union for song of the year.

On about spin 4 now.

This is scarily good. Kind of what i imagined a Jovi album between the bubblegum of Slippery and the seriousness of New Jersey would have sounded.

I was worried about the song length but the songs just breeze by....its almost like your at your own personal gig.

Treat is bloody good.

Good to hear...I'm looking forwards to it. It came in the mail on Friday but my wife snatched it and is holding it for my birthday present on the 25th :)

i'm all right with that as it let's me wear out the Defiants and the Eclipse Armageddonize deluxe edition until then. Really digging this Defiants album....This is how a melodic rock album should be done. I'm not sure yet if it'll surpass Nordic Union for me but it's excellent. The songs are all pretty long but you don't even notice it because of how well they're put together.

This album is basically exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Good to hear I'll have more good stuff with Treat when I get to it. It'll be nice having another brand new album to listen to in 10 days :)

On about spin 4 now.

Treat is bloody good.

Yeah Defiants is shading it for me over Treat because it makes me feel like its 1989 and I'm 16 again :) just sounds like it came right from that era,really fun,top class,melodic rock...Treat is excellent too though :)

Its a great album. Couple of songs I didn't enjoy that much. As one of you pointed out, it does have a modern touch in some songs but scarcely. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think - Bruno Ravel project with Marcello Vestry or The Defiants? Which is better?

Have spun this multiple times now...just fantastic. There really isn't a song I dislike....I even quite like Lil' Miss Rock N Roll for a change of pace.

And I just can't seem to remove "Take Me Back" from my head!

I thought it would be a one horse race for me for album of the year with Nordic Union....But this one is right there. I think what makes it so good for me is just how easy these songs are to relate to in a fun, retro kind of way.

For me Runaway and Last Kiss or Save Me Tonight (can't recall exactly which one of the two) are the weaker tracks here...

Seeing this girl currently I know I have no future with and I'm gonna have to tell her eventually. Every time I listen to ''That's When I'll Stop Loving You'' which is such a beautiful song I feel like a complete ASS :D

For me Runaway and Last Kiss or Save Me Tonight (can't recall exactly which one of the two) are the weaker tracks here...

Wow, 3 of my favourite songs on the album. I heard it today and was suitably impressed. I'll give it a proper listen soon, but I loved the sound of it. The opening track is such a monster.

Based upon everyone spooging over this album, I apparently need to give it more listens. It's just "ok" for me after one complete run-through. It's not grabbing me for some reason. Treat is ahead of it by quite a bit, but I need to give both more attention...

Absolutely love how creepy the intro sounds and when ''Love And Bullets'' kicks in... just powerful. Yeah Geoff, some song structures or ''types'' of songs I just don't like (no matter who performs them) and the tracks I've mentioned fall under that category. On the other hand absolutely love how ''Love And Bullets'', ''When The Lights Go Down'' and others sound. Also like ''Lil' Miss Rock n' Roll'' which kind of shares the same relexad vibe as Foreigner's ''Headknocker''

• 2023 Gold Donors

Quality stuff!

You'd expect nothing less from these guys. "Save me tonight", "Waiting on a heartbreak" and "When the lights go down" are standing out for me at the moment, but the whole album is superb.

The only track i could take or leave is "Lil' Miss rock n' roll", but it's growing on me each listen.

Have listened to this and Treat back to back. Only 1 play through each and The Defiants was much more immediate and catchy. I see people are saying it's what Bon Jovi could sound like but to me it had a Four The Hard Way vibe. Treat on the other hand doesn't seem to have that fresh crispness of Coup De Grace and seems very deliberate and measured.

Not sure what any of the above means, well I do, it means shit until I've played the crap out of them over the next year. I will be reaching for Defiants first tho next time I'm listening to something.

Not sure why this album received a constant comparison to Treat, but maybe because of both Danger Danger and Treat hasn't released a new album for a while and their last one is superb ?

I think my best pick of this album are 'Runaway', 'Save Me Tonight', and 'Take Me Back', so second on what Geoff said and against what simo said :D

Not sure why this album received a constant comparison to Treat, but maybe because of both Danger Danger and Treat hasn't released a new album for a while and their last one is superb ?

I think my best pick of this album are 'Runaway', 'Save Me Tonight', and 'Take Me Back', so second on what Geoff said and against what simo said :D

Haha, can't explain it it's just the way it is. Last Kiss sounds a little too much ''pop punk'' in terms of structure but to each his own. I think the reason they're being put up ''against'' each other (Treat and Defiants) is cause they came out on the same day and are from ''veteran'' bands people were looking forward to :D

My favourites so far are - the beautifully composed 'That's when I ll stop loving you', melodic bliss 'Underneath the stars' & 'Take me back', and 'Save me tonight' is just as good. Rest of the album is good with 'Runaway' and 'Last Kiss' being my least favourites. I think the album is definitely a grower.

yep defo because of the same release day.

and also because they were both marked as potentially top 5 material by a lot of folk.

Yeah, same release date and imo two out of only three (including Wigelius) truly excellent albums released this year so far.

Based upon everyone spooging over this album, I apparently need to give it more listens. It's just "ok" for me after one complete run-through. It's not grabbing me for some reason. Treat is ahead of it by quite a bit, but I need to give both more attention...

You're not alone. Treat's for me totally owns this one (just my opinion). This one is ok, though.

You're not alone. Treat's for me totally owns this one (just my opinion). This one is ok, though.

The truth right there!! I'm finding this one Good rather than brilliant. Some nice songs in there and it sounds great, but some of the songs are just washing over me and not sticking

Haven't played the Treat disc yet.....but The Defiants disc was quite excellent! I've enjoyed the heck out of it during the first spin....now will see how much more it grabs me on subsequent listens. So far...so good!

My favourites so far are - the beautifully composed 'That's when I ll stop loving you', melodic bliss 'Underneath the stars' & 'Take me back', and 'Save me tonight' is just as good. Rest of the album is good with 'Runaway' and 'Last Kiss' being my least favourites. I think the album is definitely a grower.

Initially "That's..." was in my top 5. But it's probably 1:40-to 1:53 longer than what I'd wished for.

Initially "That's..." was in my top 5. But it's probably 1:40-to 1:53 longer than what I'd wished for.

I get your point. Not just this song but the entire album songs except track 1 are lengthy. I really don't have an issue a song being quite long if the song structure is made in that way. But yes, not even a single song in this album is at 3 mins rang which to me is quite unusual.