New Def Leppard single from S/T album!

tts42572

Not a fan of this one. Sure you hear that lead in riff on let's go and you think here we go, awesome sauce but let's fact it, it's not that good a track - Grand Design are much better these days. It's a standout track on the album for obvious reasons.

We should write to Serafino and tell him to put an order in for Pyro-hysterio-mania. Surely he can convince them that his label caters for the melodic rock crowd and he knows what they want!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you.

Is it Pyro or Hysteria again? No way.

But IMO, there are 5 or 6 songs on this that I like better than any song on the last album. Let's Go and Dangerous are classic songs...All Time High a great rocker...We Belong the best ballad they've done on the past 3 albums and Wings of An Angel is downright awesome IMO.

Man Enough is different, but I like it for something different and the groove is catchy.

I agree the album falls apart a little in the middle but there are more songs I really like on this album than I've liked on anything since Hysteria.

Just my opinion...but I've grown to have a pretty open mind when it comes to Leppard. I think its a pretty diverse record that touches on just about everything they've done and hits on some new stuff.

For me, it easily exceeds X and Sparkle and probably Euphoria and Slang also.

That good eh - a whole days entertainment.

Im dreading hearing this to be honest

Why? There's always the option to ignore it.

Exactly... if you think it's gonna be that bad based on others opinions, then don't bother wasting your time (but I bet you'll check it out anyway) ;) , I would say go in with an open mind (if that is now possible) and make your own mind up, after all that's what it's all about. I've listened to it 4 times now and most of it sounds fine to my ears. I went in not expecting 'Pyro' or 'Hysteria' (why the hell should we in this day and age.. people need to get realistic). It's varied, some tracks will appeal to some and not to others and vice versa, and to say it's crap is a million miles off the mark as well imho, but who am I. The same old arguments and opinions for every DL release since 'Adrenalize' and onwards. Like/Dislike whatever.

on the contrary, I quite enjoy it. A mixed bag but the good outnumbered the bad I guess. 'Man Enough' and 'Battle of My Own' might be most people's choice for the weak side and 'Let's Go', 'Dangerous', 'We Belong', and 'Invincible' are nice enough. 'Last Dance' might twist the opinion but I love it. i also like 'All Time High' and 'Broke N Brokenhearted', the rest are quite okay and not horrible, perhaps deserve the 7/10 mark or slightly more.

Overall, I think it's better than the last few albums, probably their best to date since 'Euphoria'

Underwhelming sums this album up perfectly. "Energized"?? That song sucked the energy right out of me - terrible! A few good / average tracks and this has their signature sound all over it, but it's just a boring record. One of the best and most frustrating bands in history.

But IMO, there are 5 or 6 songs on this that I like better than any song on the last album.

Wow mate, big calls there. I think the whole album is better than anything on 'Sparkle,' but that said, my last anal excretion was also better than that entire album.

Alternatively, there are single songs on both 'X' and 'Euphoria' that murder this album single-handedly. Add to the fact that there's about 10 of them on each of those albums, and I'd disagree with you 100% and whole-heartedly there. I am very fond of both 'X' and 'Euphoria.'

On initial listenings of this new one, I think I'd probably favour 'Slang' ('All I want is everything' and 'Deliver me' are also better than this entire album) but that'd be a closer contest.

The Great (* = Best Tracks)

Let's Go

Dangerous *

We Belong

Invincible

All Time High *

Last Dance

Wings Of An Angel *

The Good

Man Enough

Sea Of Love

Forever Young

Battle Of My Own

The Hmmmm!!

Broke 'n Brokenhearted

Blind Faith

Energized

I agree with you on Sparkle...I really didn't care for that album.

For me though, the best of the new album stacks up well against the Slang through Sparkle albums. I did something for fun where I was thinking about my 12 favorite tracks from the Slang album and forward as if I were making an album from all those songs...Mine would look like this:

1) Undefeated

2) Let' Go

3) Promises

4) We Belong

5) Dangerous

6) Paper Sun

7) Slang

8) All Time High

9) You're So Beautiful

10) Man Enough

11) Wings of an Angel

12) Scar

Don't get me wrong, I do like Slang, Euphoria and X but when I scan my mobile device library, I've only bothered loading a few songs from each of those albums and there are 5-6 I'm really liking from this new album. Maybe it's the freshness of it...I don't know. Check with me in 10 years :)

I guess I'm kinda la sucker for the songs filled with harmonies or the epic type Paper Sun/Scar type songs for the most part. Man Enough is probably one that sticks out but but I kinda like how different that song sounds to the rest of their library.

Hey, Leppard is a polarizing band with fans all over the spectrum. I think they are one band that really can have a lot of differing opinion among their own fans because of how many different style songs they've done over the years.

I'm just glad there is finally an album to be talking about :)

But IMO, there are 5 or 6 songs on this that I like better than any song on the last album.

Wow mate, big calls there. I think the whole album is better than anything on 'Sparkle,' but that said, my last anal excretion was also better than that entire album.

Alternatively, there are single songs on both 'X' and 'Euphoria' that murder this album single-handedly. Add to the fact that there's about 10 of them on each of those albums, and I'd disagree with you 100% and whole-heartedly there. I am very fond of both 'X' and 'Euphoria.'

On initial listenings of this new one, I think I'd probably favour 'Slang' ('All I want is everything' and 'Deliver me' are also better than this entire album) but that'd be a closer contest.

For me though, the best of the new album stacks up well against the Slang through Sparkle albums. I did something for fun where I was thinking about my 12 favorite tracks from the Slang album and forward as if I were making an album from all those songs...Mine would look like this:

1) Undefeated

2) Let' Go

3) Promises

4) We Belong

5) Dangerous

6) Paper Sun

7) Slang

8) All Time High

9) You're So Beautiful

10) Man Enough

11) Wings of an Angel

12) Scar

Intersesting choices,so no...

Now,Long Long Way To Go,Torn To Shreds,Cry,Work It Out,Blood Runs Cold,Where Does Love Go When It Dies,To Be Alive,Goodbye,Back In Your Face,C'mon C'mon,Cruise Control?

some good tunes right there :)

Also I'm enjoying the new cd more now,still can live without tracks 5,6 & 7 although track 5 invicible isn't as bad as I first thought,more like a manraze song though because of its sorta blondie feel to it...to my ears anywho :)

Hey...only picked 12 so had to draw the line somewhere :)

Agree with you on tracks 5,6,7 on the new album...there is momentum lost with those tracks. I think they needed 1 more classic sounding song somewhere in that range and not had 3 fairly bland/experimental type songs in a row. I know after We Belong I can't wait for All Time High in the running order :) And then after All Time High I find myself just wanting to get to Wings of An Angel...Really like that tune.

1) Undefeated

2) Let' Go

3) Promises

4) We Belong

5) Dangerous

6) Paper Sun

7) Slang

8) All Time High

9) You're So Beautiful

10) Man Enough

11) Wings of an Angel

12) Scar

Intersesting choices,so no...

Now,Long Long Way To Go,Torn To Shreds,Cry,Work It Out,Blood Runs Cold,Where Does Love Go When It Dies,To Be Alive,Goodbye,Back In Your Face,C'mon C'mon,Cruise Control?

some good tunes right there :)

Also I'm enjoying the new cd more now,still can live without tracks 5,6 & 7 although track 5 invicible isn't as bad as I first thought,more like a manraze song though because of its sorta blondie feel to it...to my ears anywho :)

The Great (* = Best Tracks)

Let's Go

Dangerous *

We Belong

Invincible

All Time High *

Last Dance

Wings Of An Angel *

The Good

Man Enough

Sea Of Love

Forever Young

Battle Of My Own

The Hmmmm!!

Broke 'n Brokenhearted

Blind Faith

Energized

Haven't heard it enough to do this yet, but 'Broke n' brokenhearted' was one of my faves and I thought 'Man enough' and 'Battle of my own' were awful. Can't remember the other two in the "good" column but I think 'Sea of love' was poor too, wasn't it? 'Blind faith' and 'Energised' were definitely bad...

First spin impressions -

1. Let's Go - 7.5 - Definitely signature sound, but missing something....chorus let's it down

2. Dangerous - 8.5 - liked this one from the start. Very good hysteria sounding rocker

3. Man Enough - 5 - weird. Sounds a pretty weak version of another one bites the dust. Why??

4. We Belong - 6.5 - interesting that they all sing, decent vocals across the piece I guess....song is only pretty good though imo

5. Invincible - 5.5 - really weak inspiro rocker

6. Sea of Love - 7 - again bizarre choice of style....rips off Skynyd...found myself liking it though

7. Energized - 4.5 - manages to achieve the complete opposite - I felt sleepy and bored...

8. All Time High - 8 - good rocker - at least it sounds like DL!

9. Battle of my Own - 4 - I had a battle of my own too - trying not to stab my pen through the computer screen. Yuck.

10. Broken n brokenhearted - 7.5 - Not bad at all - decent solo

11. Forever Young - 5 - once again achieves the complete opposite...left me feeling weary and old

12. Last Dance - 7 - fairly inoffensive ballad, decent.

13. Wings of An Angel - 9 - Hurrah....life in the old beast yet. Excellent rocker and easily the best track. Great solo

14. Blind Faith - 6 - very experimental end...sounds like a cross of The Beatles and Lenny Kravitz. Not a disaster....but why? dont hate it but dont love it either.

Overall : tentative 65%

A couple of tracks might grow but cannot see it hitting 70%.

I honestly have to wonder how on earth Andrew got to his 95% rating???? Just weird that anyone could justifiably rate this album as high as that. I was genuinely excited after reading his review but the album is just not that good.

What they should have done is release an EP -

1. Let's Go

2. Dangerous

3. All Time High

4. Wings of an Angel

Now that would have been good!

'We Belong' and 'Invincible' are two strong tracks here mate, are you sure you listen to it properly ?

Overall I like it, my initial rating is around 82.33% after leaving out two weak tracks out of the calculation.

Finally, Def Leppard is back on track again

Yep. My ears were working just fine.....unfortunately. and it had my 100% undivided attention.

Those 4 i mentioned were strong classic sounding DL tracks.

The rest i dont ever really need to hear again if im honest. And probably wont.

• My Little Pony

11. Forever Young - 5 - once again achieves the complete opposite...left me feeling weary and old

But you are weary and old.

But you are weary and old.

I know lol, but i don't need my music to remind me of that fact ;-)

Have patience with this one for Gods sake! It is a grower and once you have given it enough spins, you will realize it is up there with the best they have ever done. It took me some spins to appreciate songs like "Invincible", "Energized", "Forever Young" and even "Blind Faith". I rate this album a healthy 92 % !!!

Is it wretched? No.

Is it a 95%? Hell no.

It's a solid album, IMO... likely will end up in the 3.5-4.5 out of 5 range for me. Not close to the top 5 for 2015 though.

There are definitely some stylistic departures for them, some of which when connected with the name "Def Leppard" I think have a greater adverse reaction than if they were associated with "Insert Unheard of Band Name Here".

I want to give it more listens though before I come to a final conclusion.

First spin impressions -

1. Let's Go - 7.5 - Definitely signature sound, but missing something....chorus let's it down

2. Dangerous - 8.5 - liked this one from the start. Very good hysteria sounding rocker

3. Man Enough - 5 - weird. Sounds a pretty weak version of another one bites the dust. Why??

4. We Belong - 6.5 - interesting that they all sing, decent vocals across the piece I guess....song is only pretty good though imo

6. Sea of Love - 7 - again bizarre choice of style....rips off Skynyd...found myself liking it though

7. Energized - 4.5 - manages to achieve the complete opposite - I felt sleepy and bored...

9. Battle of my Own - 4 - I had a battle of my own too - trying not to stab my pen through the computer screen. Yuck.

13. Wings of An Angel - 9 - Hurrah....life in the old beast yet. Excellent rocker and easily the best track. Great solo

14. Blind Faith - 6 - very experimental end...sounds like a cross of The Beatles and Lenny Kravitz. Not a disaster....but why? dont hate it but dont love it either.

I honestly have to wonder how on earth Andrew got to his 95% rating???? Just weird that anyone could justifiably rate this album as high as that. I was genuinely excited after reading his review but the album is just not that good.

1. Let's Go

2. Dangerous

3. All Time High

4. Wings of an Angel

Agree on all counts.

Have patience with this one for Gods sake! It is a grower and once you have given it enough spins, you will realize it is up there with the best they have ever done. It took me some spins to appreciate songs like "Invincible", "Energized", "Forever Young" and even "Blind Faith". I rate this album a healthy 92 % !!!

How much is enough spins?

If it hasn't grabbed someone by the 3rd spin, then it's a case of just trying hard to like it or just trying to find a reason to like it if they persist on spinning it again and again.

• My Little Pony

How much is enough spins?

If it hasn't grabbed someone by the 3rd spin, then it's a case of just trying hard to like it or just trying to find a reason to like it if they persist on spinning it again and again.

Mhm.

The definition of a 'grower' is an album that is good enough to warrant further listens after the first spin, but it's true greatness becomes revealed in those subsequent rotations. It's not a 'grower' if you have to listen to it numerous times just to appreciate it. And it's always relative, too. So, if it's a 'grower' for Monzy, it's not necessarily a 'grower' for Lindsey.

I, personally, have lost all interest in this band, anyway. Like Dan said, if this wasn't a Def Leppard album it would probably be better received. But, because it is who it is, more is expected from them.

First spin impressions -

1. Let's Go

2. Dangerous

3. All Time High

4. Wings of an Angel

Agree on all counts.

Don't agree too fast mate, remember, Glen is old and weary :D

Yeah but Glen ran a marathon last month in 3hrs 55mins so hes not that old & weary ;-)

As for this album. They have proved they can still nail their signature sound as 4 maybe 5 of the tracks are very good to excellent.

Where they fall down - for me anyway - is this experimental garbage which would sound weak and out of place on any melodic rock album??

Surely people just wanna hear DL - not too much to ask eh?

After numerous listens I do agree.

The standout tracks are some of the best they've done in 20+ years IMO...Let's Go, Dangerous, All Time High, Wings of An Angel and We Belong is a solid ballad. If they would just stay with tracks like this for 11-12 tracks it would be beyond amazing.

Basically, the rest of the tracks are pretty middle of the road....decent enough to listen to but not really moving me like the others. I don't mind Man Enough but I wish that was the only "experimental" track on the album.

I do still like the album overall on the strength of the 5 tracks I mentioned...Frankly, there haven't been 5 tracks I've liked that much on a Leppard album probably since Adrenalize.

If I were rating Leppard albums off the top of my head, I'd say...

OTTN - 65

HND - 85

Pyro - 95

Hysteria - 100

Adrenalize - 90

Slang - 80

Euphoria - 75

X - 70

Sparkle - 65

And I'd give the new one about an 85.

I was one that never cared much for Euphoria...I really only find myself going back to 2 songs from that album (Promises & Paper Sun). X was okay in spots but also rarely go back to it...And for Sparkle, I don't have a single song from that album in my mobile library. It's okay I guess but nothing ever stood out for me.

I see this album having more that I'll go back to and think it compares pretty close to Slang for me but I give it a slight edge just because of how instantaneous the 5 songs I mentioned were for me....Slang isn't quite so instant but I find it much more interesting to listen to than Euphoria or X.

I do think the new album would be better from a review perspective if they had left out 3-4 songs. But then again, I try not to hold those songs against it since they're easily removed. To be honest, I've already burned my own copy of the CD and my running order is:

Let's Go

Dangerous

Man Enough

We Belong

All Time High

Sea of Love

Broke N Brokenhearted

Invincible

Last Dance

Wings of An Angel

I like that much better :)

Yeah but Glen ran a marathon last month in 3hrs 55mins so hes not that old & weary ;-)

As for this album. They have proved they can still nail their signature sound as 4 maybe 5 of the tracks are very good to excellent.

Where they fall down - for me anyway - is this experimental garbage which would sound weak and out of place on any melodic rock album??

Surely people just wanna hear DL - not too much to ask eh?

First spin impressions -

1. Let's Go

2. Dangerous

3. All Time High

4. Wings of an Angel

Agree on all counts.

Yes Glen sums this one up accurately.