New Def Leppard single from S/T album!

tts42572

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/def-leppards-joe-elliott-on-taylor-swift-donald-trump-and-eighties-pride-20150915

https://soundcloud.com/defleppard/vivian-campbell-interview-july-8-2015

New Def Leppard! Massive.

"Let's Go," the lead track on Def Leppard as well as the first single, is clearly about that love for playing. You sing, "Welcome to the party/Welcome to the edge of your seat."

It's a call to arms, you know? Rick Savage wrote 80 percent of the song. I wrote the verses, he wrote all the music and the choruses. He came in with it, and we knew it was a classic Def Leppard song. It's that three-minute pop-rock stuff with big chunky guitars and a big chorus. And it has that swaggering, mid-tempo rhythm, like "Sugar," and "Rock of Ages." The idea was, we wanted something familiar. I mean, when AC/DC comes back after years away, you're not going to get "Bohemian Rhapsody" from 'em, you know? And you don't want it, either — you want "Back in Black," or something like it. For us, this is what we do. And it's something we enjoy doing.

Definitely has a Sugar 2.0 vibe to it but I'm fine with that. I think this song is a nice blend of classic Leppard elements with modern production. I think they've spent a little too much time over the years running from their trademark bread and butter sound so I welcome this even if they are copying themselves a bit.
Many interviews have stated how varied the album is though so not sure it's reasonable to think the whole album will be like this. Either way, if you like the big Leppard sound this might be appealing. I'm digging it more than I think I dug anything on their last album which always felt fairly lacking to me in it's overall production and Leppardization so to speak.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too bad at all,thing the chorus is a bit meh though could've been a hell of lot better,sound wise its great with a real 70's t-rex sorta vibe and queen(ish) solo ,a definite throw back to the glory years :)

Have listened to this quite a few more times and it really does seem like a cousin of Pour Some Sugar On Me, especially in the beginning of the song. The band was clearly aware of that though and Joe acknowledged that in the Rolling Stone article. It is what it is and it clearly sounds like Def Leppard when you hear it so it's fine with me.

In the article Joe also compares Dangerous to Photograph so it'll be interesting to hear that one. He was right on the Let's Go/Sugar comparison.

For me, it's nice having a Leppard album with songs getting compared to Sugar and Photograph...Two songs that probably most fans immediately associate with Leppard when they think of them.

Really excited for this release and looking forward to a good dose of Leppard style melodic rock/pop/aor or wherever they fit :)

damn i think i missed it, is the sample gone ?

gotta go via the article (first link) , not the soundcloud link.

thanks, got it workin, for me, it really sounds like the classic Def Lep but not 100% convincing that that's a really great tune, however now I like to see and hear the full album since 'Euphoria', hopefully it's a nice cross between their classic era with the commercial Adrenalize, and no alternative/modern sounding please :D

It's pretty obvious who you are listening to when you hear this and over all it's not bad. I like the Verse and the middle 8 is good too, although the chorus is a little underwhelming. Production sounds excellent too. Makes me interested to hear the rest of it.

One cant help wonder why it's taken the guys so long to replicate thier old sound?

Yeah, it hasn't seemed that long, but 16 years is indeed a long time!

Anyway, the new song is very cool. Won't be my fave on the album by any means, but it's good for what it is, highlighting the true Def Leppard sound, most importantly.

Their last album was an absolute disgrace, so it's good to hear something like this again. Oh, and it's a cool album cover too.

Pour Some Sugar On Me Part 2

I guess if I heard it enough I'd eventually think of it as it's own song.

OK I Guess, but doubt I'd be interested enough to bother with a new Def Lep album, unless it gets rave reviews...

Agree.

I dig the tune for what it is and it's cool to hear that sound again as nobody really does it like Leppard. It seems like the more I listen the more it takes on it's own life.

I'll be the first to say I wouldn't want a full album of this though. It's a fun, simple song but I want something deeper and at least a couple rockers. And going by comments I've seen from somebody that has heard the whole album Let's Go really is not representative of the album as a whole and there is plenty of diversity on it. However, they did say the production remains strong throughout.

Really looking forward to it. I do think this a great first track as a single and first track for the album. It's almost like your getting ready to ride a roller coaster and this track says...Okay, it's a Def Leppard ride. We'll have to see where the rest of the ride goes :)

One cant help wonder why it's taken the guys so long to replicate thier old sound?

Yeah, it hasn't seemed that long, but 16 years is indeed a long time!

Anyway, the new song is very cool. Won't be my fave on the album by any means, but it's good for what it is, highlighting the true Def Leppard sound, most importantly.

Their last album was an absolute disgrace, so it's good to hear something like this again. Oh, and it's a cool album cover too.

Muscially I like the song except for one thing: it plods like a motherfucker. Speed up the tempo 10-20 bpm, and it would be spot on. It just drags on interminably.

Yup..... agree 100%.

if I have to drop a score on that track, well it's 7.75

they're on the right corridor, a faster tempo might be much better, but at least we can see the real signature of Leppard guitar sound and some kickin' ass harmonies. Let's hope the rest of the album is a goodie