The vinyl revival... are you guys buying?

glam_junkie

I don't bother with vinyl anymore and I don't even own a record player. It took me a good few years to swap over from vinyl to CD back in the day, which was purely down to the fact vinyl had a much nicer, warmer sound compared to CD (and with a good stereo system, still does to this day). I don't think i'll ever go back though. I still have a fair few of my old vinyl hanging about and occasionally I get them out and have a flick through.

+ 1

• 3 months later...

Vinyl is NOT a lazy man's nor poor man's sport.

First, you MUST have a decent receiver / amplifier, and more importantly an above average turntable AND stylus. If you lost your vinyl virginity on a $99.00 cheap-o set-up with USB port you'll never fully understand.

For those of us who, for some sick reason, actually enjoy cleaning records before every spin, cleaning the $400.00 stylus on our $1,000.00 turntable every 8th. album side, it's pure ear candy.

And trust me, I am NOT bragging that I have a $1,000.00 turntable and a $400.00 stylus, because it most audio circles, that's pee-on stuff :)

I still pick up vinyl every so often and I still have I would say around 500 albums. Stupidly I got rid of loads back in the day when CD reared it's head.

Recent buys over the last 6 months

Aerosmith - Live at Paul's Mall

Aerosmith - Rocks Donington

Aerosmith - Virginia Connection (clear wax)

Triumph - Rock and Roll Machine (silver wax)

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Led Zep - Physical Graffiti

No, as I have no space to put them anywhere.

This year I bought:

scanner- ball of the damned(first time on vinyl)

scanner-mental reservation (first time on vinyl)

santa cruz s/t + 3 7" inch singles

bonfire- glorious

helloween - my god-given right + 7" inch singles

eclipse-armageddonize

stratovarius- eternal

+ various much needed olde rare releases which I bought for peanuts, thanks to my powerful big brother search engine-may the force be with you (eat it, record dealers!)!

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I have Guns N' Roses- Chinese Democracy on vinyl. I don't have a way to listen to it though, because I don't have a record player and it's 2,000 miles away. I sent my sister a copy of Sister Sins latest on vinyl. Something tells me she hasn't given it a spin yet even though she has a record player.

• My Little Pony

For those collecting vinyl get some Rest In Sleaze....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/crashdiet-rest-in-sleaze-10th-anniversary-vinyl/#/

Nice. I was just about to post this.

For those collecting vinyl get some Rest In Sleaze....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/crashdiet-rest-in-sleaze-10th-anniversary-vinyl/#/

Nice. I was just about to post this.

Wow! Hope this delivers for the people who already paid!

I've been collecting all of the Cult's albums on vinyl but only for the artwork. I have them framed for hanging. Otherwise my only two lps are Shark Island's S'cool Bus and A=440 for the supreme vocals of my favorite singer Thomas LaVerdi.

Funny . was listening to S'Cool Bus today. One of my favorite albums. Why has it never made the light of day on CD? Got the Alter Ego album on vinyl as well. Digitized it all years ago though.

One rainy Sunday I need to go through all my vinyl and see if any is worth something.

Vinyl scratches. Then you have to re-buy the album.

Always hated that.

CD's for me

Don't care about sound differences - that's mainly for people who grew up with LP's who became used to the sound.

I'm sure those who grew up with CD's listen to vinyl and think it sounds like shit.

Vinyl is NOT a lazy man's nor poor man's sport.

First, you MUST have a decent receiver / amplifier, and more importantly an above average turntable AND stylus. If you lost your vinyl virginity on a $99.00 cheap-o set-up with USB port you'll never fully understand.

For those of us who, for some sick reason, actually enjoy cleaning records before every spin, cleaning the $400.00 stylus on our $1,000.00 turntable every 8th. album side, it's pure ear candy.

And trust me, I am NOT bragging that I have a $1,000.00 turntable and a $400.00 stylus, because it most audio circles, that's pee-on stuff :)

Yuk I remember cleaning the needle on my fathers record player what a pain in the ass.

No I never got into records just cassettes and CD's.

• My Little Pony

I just bought a bunch of records yesterday. Really surprised with what I found.

Jean Beauvoir - Drums Along the Mohawk

Coney Hatch - Coney Hatch

Coney Hatch - Friction

Kick Axe - Welcome to the Club

Killer Dwarfs - Stand Talk

Slade - Alive!

Slade - Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply

Toronto - Get It On Credit

Toronto - Girls Night Out

Wrabit - Wrough & Wready

Coney Hatch - Friction

Slade - Alive!

Wrabit - Wrough & Wready

So now is where I cap on your spelling I assume... Stand Talk is a great movie starring Dolly Parton or is that Straight Talk and is the KD album entitled Stand Tall??? I forget. :)

Coney Hatch - Friction

Slade - Alive!

Wrabit - Wrough & Wready

Another day, another dollar spent :lol:

• My Little Pony

Coney Hatch - Friction

Slade - Alive!

Wrabit - Wrough & Wready

So now is where I cap on your spelling I assume... Stand Talk is a great movie starring Dolly Parton or is that Straight Talk and is the KD album entitled Stand Tall??? I forget. :)

No. "Stand Talk" is Killer Dwarfs covering the "Straight Talk" soundtrack. Much like Guardian recording Stryper's first album. It isn't very good, as one might imagine, but it's a cool item to have in the collection.

:rolleyes: @ karpetass

I wish we could arrange a HH New Years Party where we could all just meet up and we could make our team building exercise just a big, massive, heavy handed gang beatdown of Karpetface.

I think that would really boost morale around here.

• My Little Pony

:rolleyes: @ karpetass

I wish we could arrange a HH New Years Party where we could all just meet up and we could make our team building exercise just a big, massive, heavy handed gang beatdown of Karpetface.

I think that would really boost morale around here.

I would definitely be up for that. Would love to see you guys try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Vinyl over the last month or so :

Creed - s/t (The 70's band) as my orig had a big scratch right on the last track from god knows where.

Eagles - Motel Six...strangely bought a few days prior to GF's death ... I was in the process of assessing things I wanted by them back on vinyl (or ones I always wanted in this case) and this was the first and then the news struck...maybe it accelerated me in getting the others...all of which I'm recollecting from ones I had (even though I've got them all on CD in that box set that came out some years ago..and some still on vinyl, but different :D ) ... hence Desperado had to be the white label.

Eagles - Hotel Calif (Green Vinyl - already have it on black)

Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975 (Green vinyl)

Eagles - Desperado orig white Asylum label.

Eagles - The Long Run

Boatz - s/t

Styx - Cornerstone (Triptych sleeve)

Next month....probably Eagles - s/t but the Rhino re-issue where the original sleeve concept is realised as the foldout poster rather than the compromised gatefold version Asylum put out originally. I've already got the album in gatefold on the blue Asylum label as a Canadian pressing that I bought in 1980 while over there (with the inner sleeve from my orig U.K. white label version...bit of a hybrid that)

Maybe Eagles - On the Border (again has to be white Asylum label),

and maybe again Eagles - s/t on the white label.

Maybe a decent copy of Eagles - Crazed and Snake Eyed if I can track one down at a decent price in good nick.

No rush with these though. Then I'll be done with them haha!

• 1 month later...

YES, YES, finally got hold of the Longrider - S/T. Still sealed! So happy I'm gonna fap twice tonight.

s-l1600.jpg