Top 10 albums

Jacob M.

I had expected Warrant - Dog Eat Dog from Geoff, read somewhere that he said it was the perfect album, or it can simply be that I mix him upp with someone else.

Nah, it'd be me. I do rate that album very high. It probably features as many 10/10 songs as many in my list, but it'd probably only be a couple of tunes like 'Inside Out,' 'Sad Theresa' and to a degree, 'Machine Gun' that would just rate around that 8/10 mark to lower the score down a bit.

As is the case with so many albums outside my top. Almost there, but still too inconsistent to be worthy a place.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, it'd be me. I do rate that album very high. It probably features as many 10/10 songs as many in my list, but it'd probably only be a couple of tunes like 'Inside Out,' 'Sad Theresa' and to a degree, 'Machine Gun' that would just rate around that 8/10 mark to lower the score down a bit.

I agree on the album - I love it.

For me Sad Theresa and Inside Out would be two of the best songs on the album, agree with Machine Gun though.

Dream Theater - Images & Words

Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime

Harem Scarem - s/t

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Lillian Axe - Poetic Justice

Lillian Axe - Love & War

The Magnificent - s/t

Waltham - s/t

White Widdow - Crossfire

Final Frontier - Second Wave

White Lion - Pride

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

These are albums that I can listen over and over again and have been doing so since they were released. These are releases that I can't point out a real weak track or tracks that I would skip more than others.

I will admit I need to be in a certain mood for Operation:Mindcrime, not exactly background music.

How the phuk did it take fifteen posts before Mindcrime was mentioned? Might be my top album. Been listening to it once a day for the last few weeks. I never grow tired of it.

Preach it brother!!

I have to rate that near the top for me also.

My top 10...

Dokken - Back For the Attack (My favorite release EVER. Period.)

Def Leppard - Hysteria (I remember calling into Dial MTV and requesting "Women" over and over when this one came out!)

Van Halen - 5150 (Eddie + Sammy = Fucking Awesome)

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction (Legendary Sleaze)

AC/DC - Back in Black (Just plain awesome)

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (Love the story)

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter (My favorite blues influenced disc ever)

Warrant - Dog Eat Dog (Jani is/was incredible here!)

Ratt - Ratt n Roll 81-91 (The best single disc Greatest Hits/Best of collection ever put together in my opinion. I've played this one to death over the years)

Brother Firetribe - False Metal (I come back to this one over and over)

Ask me this a month from now, and you may get 4-5 different answers... :P

Y&T - 10

Tesla - Mechanical Resonance

Whitesnake - S/T 1987

Bon Jovi - Slippery

Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

are all releases I come back to over and over as well. :banger:

My top 10...

Def Leppard - Hysteria (I remember calling into Dial MTV and requesting "Women" over and over when this one came out!)

Ratt - Ratt n Roll 81-91 (The best single disc Greatest Hits/Best of collection ever put together in my opinion. I've played this one to death over the years)

Y&T - 10

Whitesnake - S/T 1987

Bon Jovi - Slippery

Nice list! Awesome bunch of discs and all are high up on my all-time lists too. :headbanger:

Here's mine, pretty much in order.

This list changes over time as I am more drawn to different CD's

3… Love Cream - First Taste

An Aussie band with some great track. Think Steel Panther but a bit less in your face parody and it works really well.

Very surprising to see this one here!

Great band that i've seen many times, and a great cd, but not something i'd expected to have turned up in someones Top 10 at this stage.

My top 10...

Y&T - 10

Whitesnake - S/T 1987

Bon Jovi - Slippery

Great list.

Never really took to Queensryche

Good call on Ratt, but not sure that best of's qualify. I don't have many songs outside that CD that I really like though. Maybe Looking For Love.

Never heard of Brother Firetribe...

Everything else would be in a top 50 for me, but I'm not going to attempt that :whistle:

Will come back again to this thread later as I need to complete the whole rating system to sort anything over 95% but based on my current list, this should be the top dog so far :

BONFIRE - Point Blank

DANGER DANGER - s/t

GUNS N ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

HAREM SCAREM - s/t

MOTLEY CRUE - Dr.Feelgood

ROBIN BECK - Trouble or Nothin'

SKID ROW - s/t

and who knows 1 or 2 newer albums will finally made it to the top 10 but it definitely needs time so maybe 10 years from now I'll revise that list :D

I had expected Warrant - Dog Eat Dog from Geoff, read somewhere that he said it was the perfect album, or it can simply be that I mix him upp with someone else.

As is the case with so many albums outside my top. Almost there, but still too inconsistent to be worthy a place.

Yeah, that fact is, I think my top 100 will honestly be a ball-tearing list from 1-100; no exception.

When you think of it, I have something like 1500 CDs and including CDRs and MP3's it's well over 3000 overall. So to narrow that down to a top 10 is amazingly hard, but it is also not surprising that the top 100 would be 100 amazing albums, probably all well above 85%... which for me is a brilliant score. And I know 'Dog Eat Dog' will be somewhere in that top 50 easily.

Will come back again to this thread later as I need to complete the whole rating system to sort anything over 95% but based on my current list, this should be the top dog so far :

BONFIRE - Point Blank

DANGER DANGER - s/t

HAREM SCAREM - s/t

SKID ROW - s/t

and who knows 1 or 2 newer albums will finally made it to the top 10 but it definitely needs time so maybe 10 years from now I'll revise that list :D

I would expect Roxxi to land high in your list, buddy.

In no particular order:

Def Leppard - Pyromania......the last REAL rocking album from the Leps. Everyone creams over Hysteria. I prefer Pyro.

Danger Danger - Cockroach....2 for the price of one. Laine kicks ass on a couple of tracks, Poley slays the rest. Awesome shit.

Rush - Test for Echo....music speaks for itself. It's neither too proggy, nor too Hold your Fire-y. Which is a good thing.

Journey - Frontiers.....a bit more raw than Escape, and ROR. Take off 'Backtalk', and add 'Only the Young', and 'Ask the Lonely'...and this would be my desert island disc.

Aldo Nova - Subject....just a kick ass album, that is in dire need of remastering.

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail....what can I say? From Dance on a Volcano to Los Endos. quality stuff.

Harem Scarem - Self titled/Mood Swings...So sue me! I consider them 1/1A. Quality melodic shit.

Phil Collins - No Jacket Required....Mr. 1985 could do no wrong. Not a filler on this release. Not melodic rock, but I don't care anymore.

Kansas - Leftoverture....Masterpiece. Plain and simple. There was NO better voice in the 70s, save RJD.

Winger - Pull....their most mature, quality release....not a bad song in the bunch. Add 'Star Tripper', and it's even better.

A few just below the cut:

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - I really debated on including this in the Top 10. It was touch and go for awhile.

Vinnie Vincent - Invasion
Kiss - Dressed to Kill/Creatures of the Night
Loverboy - Just Getting Started
Tears for Fears - Everybody Loves a Happy Ending

VH - s/t

Dokken - Back For The Attack

Dio - Holy Diver

Boston - s/t

Danger Danger - Cockroach

W.E.T. - Both!!!

Bangalore Choir - On Target

House Of Lords - World Upside Down

Gotthard - Lipservice

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

Just outside:

Def Leppard - Pyro

VH - 5150

H.E.A.T - Address The Nation

Dio - Last In Line

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

In no particular order:

Def Leppard - Pyromania......the last REAL rocking album from the Leps. Everyone creams over Hysteria. I prefer Pyro.

Danger Danger - Cockroach....2 for the price of one. Laine kicks ass on a couple of tracks, Poley slays the rest. Awesome shit.

Rush - Test for Echo....music speaks for itself. It's neither too proggy, nor too Hold your Fire-y. Which is a good thing.

Journey - Frontiers.....a bit more raw than Escape, and ROR. Take off 'Backtalk', and add 'Only the Young', and 'Ask the Lonely'...and this would be my desert island disc.

Aldo Nova - Subject....just a kick ass album, that is in dire need of remastering.

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail....what can I say? From Dance on a Volcano to Los Endos. quality stuff.

Harem Scarem - Self titled/Mood Swings...So sue me! I consider them 1/1A. Quality melodic shit.

Phil Collins - No Jacket Required....Mr. 1985 could do no wrong. Not a filler on this release. Not melodic rock, but I don't care anymore.

Kansas - Leftoverture....Masterpiece. Plain and simple. There was NO better voice in the 70s, save RJD.

Winger - Pull....their most mature, quality release....not a bad song in the bunch. Add 'Star Tripper', and it's even better.

All good stuff, not all my cup of tea but I like a little of everything there.

VH - s/t

Dio - Holy Diver

Boston - s/t

Danger Danger - Cockroach

W.E.T. - Both!!!

House Of Lords - World Upside Down

Gotthard - Lipservice

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

Just outside:

Def Leppard - Pyro

VH - 5150

H.E.A.T - Address The Nation

Dio - Last In Line

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Definitely some good stuff there...I could easily see Boston's debut on my list...as well as the Dokken. Good pick with Gotthard, however, I'd pick Human Zoo....good stuff!

In no particular order:

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - I really debated on including this in the Top 10. It was touch and go for awhile.

Some nice discs there. Good to see a mixed bag of stuff. BTW..Aldo Nova's 'Subject' has been remastered by the Rock Candy guys

In no particular order:

Some nice discs there. Good to see a mixed bag of stuff. BTW..Aldo Nova's 'Subject' has been remastered by the Rock Candy guys

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for it!

BONFIRE - Point Blank

DANGER DANGER - s/t

HAREM SCAREM - s/t

SKID ROW - s/t

I would expect Roxxi to land high in your list, buddy.

I rated Roxxi around 91%, love it a lot but probably not gonna make it to top 10

I think I might have 'Shout at The Devil' on that list too so 2 Crue up there :D

I can't make a top 10, but here are (in no particular order) some albums I consider to be perfect, albums I'd imagine I could put on repeat for the rest of my life, without ever growing tired of.

Skid Row - s/t
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Mötley Crüe - Dr. Feelgood
Bowling for Soup - Drunk Enough To Dance
Bowling for Soup - A Hangover you don't Deserve
Green Day - American Idiot
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Fm - Tough it Out
Heat - Freedom Rock
Tyketto - Don't Come Easy
Saints n Sinnerss - s/t
Bon jovi - New Jersey
Steelheart - s/t
Slamer - Nowhere Land
Greenhouze - s/t
Quireboys - This is Rock n Roll
Hinder - Take it to the Limit
Hinder - Extreme Behavior
The Last Vegas - Whatever Gets You Off
Crazy Lixx - New Religion
Maverick - Quid Pro Quo
Gotthard - Dial Hard
Airbourne - No Guts No Glory
Red Dogs - Working Late
Dynazty - Renatus

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds - s/t

Backyard Babies - People Like People Like People Like Us

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz

Cool list, Jacob. I never picked you as a Journey fan - that one really surprised me. As did I, Napoleon. ;) I like your explanations, though.

Anyway, this is going to change as I rate the rest of my albums, but at the moment, having just rated everything up to and including L (except for 95% of modern rock), here are my top 10 highest rated albums. I will, of course, return to this thread when I'm finished with all my ratings;

10. Attraction - Get Up N' Shake

Kind of ironic that obviously enough people didn't think these guys were good enough to get signed "back in the day," but for me these guys play their style of music to perfection. Killer music tracks, huge backing vocals, monster hooks and no fillers. Perfect good time "party" hard rock.

9. Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

A bit surprised to see this rated so high for me so far, but I trust my ratings. It is a sensational album, with so many highlights. This was BJ at their purest and I think it's a meaningful album, showing that before Desmond Child came along they weren't just a bunch of shitkickers without a clue. They knew their craft well and DC just helped them get it on the radio.

8. Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk

An album I could listen to all day every day and not get sick of it. Gigantic hooks and no let up in the high quality of songs... I couldn't even select a starting point as to which song to recommend because it's basically all of them. Nice sentiment in a lot of the lyrics too, which is probably where it gets me the most. Massive anthems for the masses, but with that personal touch too.

7. Bonfire - Point Blank

Don't really need to explain this one, surely. 15 songs, not a filler amongst them. Even the weakest song 'Gimme Some' is still listenable. Elsewhere, this album is a showcase for a band at their absolute prime, unable to put a foot wrong. Again, too many classic to mention, but one would have to start with 'Say Goodbye.'

6. Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power

Very divided opinions on this one on this very forum when it was released, but my opinion on it never wavered and still has not. It ain't no lyrical masterpiece, it is tacky... but it's also brilliant. Again, it's just a relentless barrage of massive anthem after massive anthem. Frantic guitarwork, monster hooks... another album I could listen to and put on repeat over and over again 'til the stereo breaks.

5. Silly Fools - The One
This one, hey? Just holds a really, really special place for me. My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon, this band is Thai and there's no connection, but somewhere in my silly mind I've made one and every time I hear this album it brings me back to my honeymoon, which, before kids, was easily the highlight of my life. I love the simple Thailand inspired lyrics, the incredible musicianship and every single song is simply excellent. Absolutely adore this album.

4. Blue Tears - Blue Tears

This one doesn't require much explanation. Getting into "our" type of music, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were my two favourite bands, so imagine my glee when I found the perfect blend of the two bands. The songs speak for themself and are just one after another enormous, but again it's the lyrics on this one that take me back to my youth and what I wish it could have been, but also just for what it was too. Every time I hear this I think about being young and how it was before things got complex. One of the most perfect melodic hard rock albums ever recorded.

3. Harem Scarem - Harem Scarem

No fancy explanations for this one. It's just purely amazing melodic rock / AOR. The quality of song writing is brilliant and there's no sniff of a sour moment here. And with songs like 'Honesty,' 'With a little Love,' 'Distant memory' and 'Hard to love,' it's hard for a melodic rock fan not to love this one.

2. Cauterize - Disguises / Paper Wings

Heavier and darker than the debut, but every single bit as stunning. The introduction of ballads on this record pays off with flying colours too, with 'Porcelain' being my favourite song of all time. And 'Why this last dance' wouldn't be far off too. But it's the rockers that made this band for me, and not one single one of them fails to fire here. Walls of guitar, brilliant, provoking hooks, and again, as with the debut, it's all about the lyrics too. Each song is like a slab of Jesse Smith's soul laid out bare for the listener. Listening to Cauterize made me want to hand out 11/10's for many, many songs.

(Two albums released within 2 years of each other, 4 of the 12 songs removed and replaced with 4 new ones on the second one)

1. Cauterize - So Far From Real
Only slightly better than the follow up/s. I first heard this when I was at a moment in my life where basically every single song related to what was going on in my life at the time (or so I thought anyway, lol) and the fact that it came equipped with everything I love about music, it kind of made it impossible for it not to stick as my all-time favourite album. I love every lyric and each one again sounds like it's a strip of the dude's soul laid out for the listener. I've always excused vocalists that may not be perfect if you can tell that every ounce of their being is in the words they're singing, because for me that passion for their work makes up for it tenfold. And that's what I hear in Cauterize and why they created my two (and a half) favourite albums of all time.
I do want to note that these two were actually rated high up in the list (5th and 7th respectively), but I guess I'll exclude EPs from the list:
Hot Boy - Barely Legal EP
Waltham - Wicked Waltham EP

Journey is a bit different from most of the music I listen to. Funny enough I haven't really heard a full Journey album that has caught my attention like this one. Knowing your thoughts on I, Napoleon I think it's safe to say it doesn't even crack your top 100. I am surprised that you didn't have any Danger Danger listed. I thought that was one of your favorite bands.

I kind of have the same thought on EPs. I would likely have included Rozy Coyote if there had been more songs. Also just outside my top 10 is bands like Cinderella- Night Songs or Long Cold Winter, Britny Fox- Boys In Heat, and Tuff- What Comes Around Goes Around.

I can't make a top 10, but here are (in no particular order) some albums I consider to be perfect, albums I'd imagine I could put on repeat for the rest of my life, without ever growing tired of.

Skid Row - s/tGuns n Roses - Appetite for DestructionDef Leppard - HysteriaMötley Crüe - Dr. FeelgoodBowling for Soup - Drunk Enough To Dance

Bowling for Soup - A Hangover you don't DeserveGreen Day - American Idiot

Green Day - 21st Century BreakdownMy Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black ParadeFm - Tough it OutHeat - Freedom RockTyketto - Don't Come EasySaints n Sinnerss - s/tBon jovi - New JerseySteelheart - s/tSlamer - Nowhere LandGreenhouze - s/t

Quireboys - This is Rock n Roll

Hinder - Take it to the Limit

Hinder - Extreme Behavior

The Last Vegas - Whatever Gets You Off

Crazy Lixx - New Religion

Maverick - Quid Pro Quo

Gotthard - Dial Hard

Airbourne - No Guts No Glory

Red Dogs - Working Late

Dynazty - Renatus

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds - s/t

Backyard Babies - People Like People Like People Like Us

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz

Cool list Kristian. Hugely different to mine but I can appreciate different tastes. One that caught my eye though was Greenhouze s/t. I do remember it vaguely. It was on MTM around 10 years ago right? Is it worth re-exploring? Any track recommendations?

Knowing your thoughts on I, Napoleon I think it's safe to say it doesn't even crack your top 100. I am surprised that you didn't have any Danger Danger listed. I thought that was one of your favorite bands.

Haha. Yeah, sorry mate, but I think you left a 0 off your thoughts on me and I,Napoleon. They wouldn't even crack my top 1000. :( Sorry mate.

As for Danger Danger, yeah, I always assumed they'd be right up there. Overall, they'd be in my top 10 bands of all time; I am sure of that. But as far as individual albums, I love them all (except 'Dawn') but none are quite perfect enough to compete with some of my other absolute faves.

• 1 month later...

Top 30:

1 - 10

Motorhead – Another Perfect Day

Rush – Moving Pictures

Tygers Of Pan Tang – Spellbound

Black Sabbath – Mob Rules

Saga – Saga

Alcatrazz – Disturbing The Peace

Thin Lizzy – Black Rose

Blue Oyster Cult – Spectres

Running Wild – The Rivalry

U.D.O. – Animal House

11 - 20

Blue Murder – Blue Murder

New England – New England

Thin Lizzy – Fighting

Grim Reaper – See You In Hell

Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak

Alice Cooper – Love It To Death

Saga – Silent Knight

The Cars – Panorama

MSG – Built To Destroy

Scorpions – Love At First Sting

21 - 30

Billy Rankin – Growin’ Up Too Fast

Tony Macalpine – Edge Of Insanity

Deep Purple – The House Of Blue Light

Night Ranger – Seven Wishes

Sector 27 – Sector 27

Night Ranger – Feeding Off The Mojo

Saxon – Denim And Leather

Bruce Dickinson – Accident Of Birth

Accept – Metal Heart

Blue Oyster Cult – Heaven Forbid

• 3 years later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

I noticed a guest checking this thread out yesterday. It looks like it was created just before I joined. Anyway, I thought i'd weigh in with a few selections. Like most here, coming up with just 10 is impossible so I've written down 30. Even then, once I got to 30 I had to stop myself. I could have easily listed 100.

In no particular order,

Steelheart - Tangled In Reins

Danger Danger - Screw It

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

Lynch Mob - ST

XYZ - Hungry

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime 

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes

Wildside - Under The Influence

Mr. Big - Lean Into It

Europe - Prisoners In Paradise 

Giant - Last Of The Runaways

Bonfire - Fireworks 

Warrant - Cherry Pie

Ten - The Name Of The Rose

Roxus - Nightstreet

Mark Free - Long Way From Love

Talisman - ST

Whitesnake - 1987

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

Harem Scarem - ST

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction 

Aldo Nova - Blood On The Bricks

Winger - Pull

Gotthard - ST

Tyketto - Don't Come Easy

Heaven's Edge - ST

Firehouse - ST

I'd be interested to see if you guys who posted lists 4 years ago would make any changes or additions to those original posts.