100% rated albums

Kristian

I don't have a sophisticated rating system like some of you guys have.

I do however consider some albums to be absolutely perfect, for instance: Skid Row - s/t, Saints & Sinners - s/t, Tyketto - Don't Come Easy, Def Leppard - Hysteria, the list is long.

But when I don't have a rating system, I might not be as 'picky' when it comes to labelling a record as perfect.

This thread is not meant be about how we rate albums, but I'm very interested in hearing what everyone considers perfect (or 100%) albums.

So bring 'em on :-)

I don't really rate with a # system, I just count the tracks that I think are great, good, average, and filler. Lets say if it's a 10 song album and I get 4 loves, 2 good, 2 average, 2 filler that is a pretty good album 90/95. As much as I love a certain album I don't really think any album is perfect. The only album that comes close is Bostons s/t. But there are albums in my system that are up there, the 2 W.E.T. and Crazy Lixx- New Religion for example,Classics like Jovi- SWW, Bangalore Choir- On Target, SkidRow- s/t.

There are lots of factors that can be taken into account while rating an album, the easiest one will be if you like every song and don't skip any song then it's worth 100%, or out of 12 tracks, if you hate 2 tracks and skip it everytime, then just count it as 10/12 = 83%

For me personally, I like to rate song by song and added 3 factors, the production value (usually 5-10, with 5 is the lowest rating for demo-sounding track and 10 is like Chris Laney/Steve Newman production), the skill/musicianship (usually 5-10 with 5 if they sound really amateur and 10 is tight like a real pro), and replay value (1-10)

And because in reality if you only want to rate only song by song, there'll be no such thing as 100% because how we interpret one song to another is totally different and no way an artist can make a song really balance and equal to another song in one album, therefore for me, I can add another extra 5-10% to an album if the album really have special meaning for me during my teenage years, or like an album that you can bring to a stranded island, or maybe have stood the test of time for being around 20-30 years and you still like it, and some albums like that can reach that 100% mark :D

For me personally, I like to rate song by song and added 3 factors, the production value (usually 5-10, with 5 is the lowest rating for demo-sounding track and 10 is like Chris Laney/Steve Newman production), the skill/musicianship (usually 5-10 with 5 if they sound really amateur and 10 is tight like a real pro), and replay value (1-10)

And because in reality if you only want to rate only song by song, there'll be no such thing as 100% because how we interpret one song to another is totally different and no way an artist can make a song really balance and equal to another song in one album, therefore for me, I can add another extra 5-10% to an album if the album really have special meaning for me during my teenage years, or like an album that you can bring to a stranded island, or maybe have stood the test of time for being around 20-30 years and you still like it, and some albums like that can reach that 100% mark :D

Why do you start at 5 for the production and skill? That part of your rating system has taken on en even worse spin! ;) So many flaws... ;)

Disagree with you with regard to artists being unable to balance albums and have equally awesome songs from start to end, even if they obvious sound different so as to make up a varied album. My highest rated albums so far are Cauterize, whom I know are no one else's cup of tea, but to me they do exactly what you say there perfectly. To me, every song is almost as good as the one before and after. Another one that springs to mind is Silly Fools. There's bands out there... and they, obviously, will be the ones at the top of the lists.

Why do you start at 5 for the production and skill? That part of your rating system has taken on en even worse spin! ;) So many flaws... ;)

Disagree with you with regard to artists being unable to balance albums and have equally awesome songs from start to end, even if they obvious sound different so as to make up a varied album. My highest rated albums so far are Cauterize, whom I know are no one else's cup of tea, but to me they do exactly what you say there perfectly. To me, every song is almost as good as the one before and after. Another one that springs to mind is Silly Fools. There's bands out there... and they, obviously, will be the ones at the top of the lists.

For production and skill, I myself never heard anything that's worth scoring below 5, maybe there are some but maybe I don't bother to listen to them but yeah it's a subjective matters. I think usually when a band/artist decided to spend their money into record anything, they really at least have a little knowledge about production and how to play instruments :D

and about 10/10 songs in one album, aren't you the one and Glen who always insist there's no such thing as 100% album ? :D

Like I stated in my first post, I don't really care about how you come up with your ratings, I would just love to see peoples lists of perfect or near perfect albums, then I hope there are some between that I've never heard, to add to my collection.

yeah I misread it bro but so far I have is SKID ROW - s/t. I have scored HEAVEN'S EDGE at 94% but this one might shot up to 100% as well. Maybe HAREM SCAREM - s/t too

For production and skill, I myself never heard anything that's worth scoring below 5, maybe there are some but maybe I don't bother to listen to them but yeah it's a subjective matters. I think usually when a band/artist decided to spend their money into record anything, they really at least have a little knowledge about production and how to play instruments :D

and about 10/10 songs in one album, aren't you the one and Glen who always insist there's no such thing as 100% album ? :D

Do you ever rate demos at all? Sadly, most demo sound quality is far below 5/10.

I don't believe there is a 100% album... that wasn't what I was saying. A band can have 10 fantastic songs and rate a delightful 95% which is an amazing album. For me, anything above 90% is probably about on par with your 100%. ;)

Do you ever rate demos at all? Sadly, most demo sound quality is far below 5/10

I don't like demos but demos/almost demos quality like in most Eonian product for me are probably still worth around 5 or 6 because they just sound dusty like old tapes but still acceptable, so can't really imagine what's below 5/10, probably doesn't really worth my time so there's none at all among thousands I've rated :D

I don't believe there is a 100% album... that wasn't what I was saying. A band can have 10 fantastic songs and rate a delightful 95% which is an amazing album. For me, anything above 90% is probably about on par with your 100%.

There you said it bro, if they're totally equal, then the album should be 100% and not 95%.

For a small 5% means that there's one song or two that's inferior from the rest. I agree a 90% album share the same strength as 100%, what I mean is you can't reach the 100% mark in music mathematically without adding the X factor unless you're rating it the easy way (100% for not skipping one track at all) :D

Do you ever rate demos at all? Sadly, most demo sound quality is far below 5/10

I don't like demos but demos/almost demos quality like in most Eonian product for me are probably still worth around 5 or 6 because they just sound dusty like old tapes but still acceptable, so can't really imagine what's below 5/10, probably doesn't really worth my time so there's none at all among thousands I've rated :D

I don't believe there is a 100% album... that wasn't what I was saying. A band can have 10 fantastic songs and rate a delightful 95% which is an amazing album. For me, anything above 90% is probably about on par with your 100%.

There you said it bro, if they're totally equal, then the album should be 100% and not 95%.

For a small 5% means that there's one song or two that's inferior from the rest. I agree a 90% album share the same strength as 100%, what I mean is you can't reach the 100% mark in music mathematically without adding the X factor unless you're rating it the easy way (100% for not skipping one track at all) :D

But is almost having sexual intercourse the same as having sexual intercourse? No. Just like 95% is not the same as 100%. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MalcolmTucker

Well, I think it's really difficult that you haven't ever heard about albums that are considered perfect, Kristian. But, anyway, I'll add three more to the list:

1. Signal - Loud & Clear.

2. Dare - Out of the Silence.

3. TOTO - The Seventh One.

There seems to be a bit of a thing going with the % rating system.

From what I've read the main issue looks like it's the near impossible gap between say a 90% and 100%

I could list probably 40 or 50 albums which I'd rate between 9/10 and 10/10

The whole 100% thing throws me off though because even at the time when I have an album I can't stop listening to, there are always things that could be better

You could even say that a great album needs songs that are "only OK" to allow the others to shine more.

For instance on Hysteria I'd give Don't Shoot Shotgun and Run Riot a 7/10, Excitable a 6/10 and Gods Of War an 8/10. The rest would all be 9 or 10's

The whole album is probably a 10 for me.

Same with Harem Scarem S/T

Album would be a 10, but I wouldn't rate Distant Memory, Love Reaction, All Over Again and Don't Give Your Heart Away as highly as the rest of the songs.

Dr.Feelgood

All amazing songs except for some which couple have been replaced with better songs - Slice Of Your Pie, Rattlesnake Shake and Sticky Sweet.

I'm sure some here love the songs that aren't my favorites and probably can name their own songs they don't like as much as others from those albums.

Also, over time you're tastes change a bit.

I listen to some albums I used to love and wonder why I held them in such high regard. Still good, but maybe haven't dated well.

I used to hate God Of Thunder, and over many many years somehow now like it a lot :lol:

yep, and that opinion hasnt changed.

For instance on Hysteria I'd give Don't Shoot Shotgun and Run Riot a 7/10, Excitable a 6/10 and Gods Of War an 8/10. The rest would all be 9 or 10's

Run Riot and Gods of War are probably my 2 favourite songs off that album :-)

'Distant Memory' is surely one of everyone's favourite songs on Harem Scarem's debut too??

'Distant Memory' is surely one of everyone's favourite songs on Harem Scarem's debut too??

I can't think of a weak song on it.......my guess would be around 96, maybe 97%.....prob in my top 10 of all time.

Strangely, I got almost the same rating on that three tracks with CureThe Sane, don't shoot shotgun 7.5, run riot 7.25, and excitable 6.

Hysteria was around 82.3%, I think 'Adrenalize' and 'Retro Active' are their highest rated albums for me

Strangely, I got almost the same rating on that three tracks with CureThe Sane, don't shoot shotgun 7.5, run riot 7.25, and excitable 6.

Hysteria was around 82.3%, I think 'Adrenalize' and 'Retro Active' are their highest rated albums for me

I'm gonna have to re-listen to this album over the weekend - 82% looks way too low to me.......I can see it hitting 90% pretty easily.

Isn't 'Run Riot' awesome?? I must admit its been a while since I last spun this disc but I remembered that as being an excellent kick arse rocker??

I like 'Run riot' and 'Don't shoot shotgun,' but 'Excitable' is obviously the worst on the album. I rated it an 89%, for the record.

There are a few albums that I'd consider to be 'perfect', in that I don't skip any of the tracks, I feel that the songs compliment each other, I have to play the album from start to finish, etc.

Queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime

Marillion: Misplaced Childhood

Def Leppard: Hysteria

Iron Maiden: Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Fish: Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors

I'm gonna have to re-listen to this album over the weekend - 82% looks way too low to me.......I can see it hitting 90% pretty easily.

Isn't 'Run Riot' awesome?? I must admit its been a while since I last spun this disc but I remembered that as being an excellent kick arse rocker??

'Run Riot' is one of my favourite songs on the album :)