The end of the CD?

simo

Taking everything into account, what's surprising and frustrating is the album that DID sell very well (even for past standards) is the fat bitch Adele's CD (released in 2011 or 12) which sold over 20 million copies! Her, out of all singers and bands...

Which is a great album by the way

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking everything into account, what's surprising and frustrating is the album that DID sell very well (even for past standards) is the fat bitch Adele's CD (released in 2011 or 12) which sold over 20 million copies! Her, out of all singers and bands...

Come on man, don't say that. I always trust your musical taste and common sense :D

Come on man, don't say that. I always trust your musical taste and common sense :D

One of my wife's fav albums so i get subjected to it a lot. It's really not bad though.

Even if the labels stop producing new CDs, collectors like us will be fine for years to come ....cuz there are untold millions of old discs out there just waiting to be scrounged when they turn up at yard sales, in thrift shops, etc. etc.!!

Surely we all agree as a market that physical media is on a downwards spiral?

Yup, and the same slide is now occurring in the DVD/video market too - sales of movies on DVDs/Blu-Rays are going down the tubes due to streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. so stores are cutting back on floor space for those items just like they did with CDs years back.

http://cassettestoreday.us/

There was a somewhat satirical article on Yahoo yesterday about cassettes. In the article there was a link. Apparently there is a Cassette Store Day. Who knew? I looked at the list of cassettes that will be available. Nothing really jumps out at me. Even if it did should I buy it? I don't even have a cassette player any more. At least not with me.

From what I've seen cds are pretty much obsolete with the younger crowd. Pretty much any crowd to be honest. It seems most download. I've also seen an uptick in people streaming. I'm not sure I get it. Recently I let a girl I work with borrow the new Three Days Grace cd. I had pre-ordered it. Since she was a fan (and the reason I bought the cd to begin with) I pulled it up on my phone. I showed her and she seemed puzzled. She didn't even realize it was out. So I told her I could let her borrow it. The idea of "borrowing" also seemed confusing to her. Like "how do you borrow mp3's?" I told her I usually buy physical copies.

A day or so later I told her I brought it. She lit up. When I handed it to her she was super excited. If I had purchased the mp3s could this have even happened? lol. I'm pretty sure she ripped the cd and added it to her collection.

I think the best way for a band to continue making music and CD and benefit from that is to go through crowdfunding project like Kickstarter or similar. They announce the project, promote it through website, give couple of 1 minute samples of their new music, and every fan that support will get the CD depends on how much you support of course, the band got paid in advance, they produce the ordered quantity times two, half of them sent to the supporters and the rest can be sold through ebay, amazon, AOR heaven, musicbuymail, cdbaby, or at their gig.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2 cents. It's simply history repeating. In the beginning there were little black plastic discs called 45 rpms, then there were the LONGER ones called long-playing albums. Then came the stereo-8 cartridges and later "compact cassettes" and tapes.....shall i go on??! I was the LP generation, but I wasn't at all shocked when CDs took over coz I had to admit the sound quality was better in many cases!!:). We shouldn't bulge and binge about the USB and digital thing coz this is the FUTURE....like it or not :):)!!!

But how many cds we buy are from major labels anyway?

I'd say these days maybe 1 in 10 of my purchases are from major labels, the rest are small independent labels, or by the band themselves. So i don't think they will stop making cds as compared to major labels that could drop production at the drop of a hat.

I still find it ironic though that the major labels that were trying to push the whole download thing (thinking everyone would pay) will be the ones that have actually lost the most out of the whole affair, and in the process fucked bands and artists over completely.

• 3 weeks later...