CATS in SPACE - Too Many Gods

Stefan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good song, great harmonies. A band trying to be a bit different than the usual run of the mill shite we are subjected too with inane regularity. Just on the bands list of influences (ELO, New England, 10CC etc) this is going to divide people and hearing the songs so far, those influences shine through in spades, so it won't be for everyone. For me, i'm really looking forward to hearing the whole album as I reckon it's going to be excellent

Oh dear. This one seems to have a lot of you guys excited (I want to state clearly that I am not one of these guys). Hope it doesn't disappoint, though I am 100% sure it will. I would rather eat my own vomit and my cats' for a full week than ever hear that piece of shit ever again. That is abominable.

I take it you were never a fan of ELO Part II?

Sorry my man, I have no idea what ELO sound like and the last thing in the world I want to do is find out. ;)

And sorry Jez, not having a dig but you use that "trying something different to the rest of the run of the mill shit" line quite a bit. I can't say I understand it. We're all here because we like, to some degree, the "run of the mill shit" you don't want bands to sound like. If people don't want to listen to it, there are a billion other genres of music and bands that do those other terrible, uh, I mean, different genres very well. No one in the world is stopping anyone from listening to whatever the hell they want to listen to.

But for me, personally, as a broad example... I don't want to hear a hard rock band trying reggae polka because it's different than the "run of the mill shit." If I wanted to listen to reggae polka I'd sign up to reggaepolkaharmonies.com (Dan runs that one too) and build with the members there about the best that awesome genre has to offer.

Anyway, long story short... I, and probably most people here agree with you that there is a gigantic mass of very average hard rock / AOR / glam etc. albums being released at the moment. No doubt about it. But for me, the answer is not to listen to indescribably terrible music just because it's completely different.

To me, the answer is to enjoy the lull of good new releases, and take joy in the abundance of great releases from the past that none of us have time to listen to. And be happy that there's only 20 or so really great albums so far this year. There is no reason in the world to blow that number out to 50 by listening to complete and utter fucking horseshit because it's different.

I'm a bit confused, don't know if I like this or not. I loved the first song 'Too Many Gods', thought 'Mr Heartache' was good but the third one only average.

I don't like ELO (though they had their moments) or Jeff Lynne. Maybe it's creeping under my skin, the ELO influences.

I have to listen to the whole album to make up my mind.

On a side note, I think the new Bryan Adams disc is a major disappointment 'cause of the Jeff Lynne factor.

Oh dear. This one seems to have a lot of you guys excited (I want to state clearly that I am not one of these guys). Hope it doesn't disappoint, though I am 100% sure it will. I would rather eat my own vomit and my cats' for a full week than ever hear that piece of shit ever again. That is abominable.

I take it you were never a fan of ELO Part II?

And sorry Jez, not having a dig but you use that "trying something different to the rest of the run of the mill shit" line quite a bit.

Anyway, long story short... I, and probably most people here agree with you that there is a gigantic mass of very average hard rock / AOR / glam etc. albums being released at the moment.

I can understand it and I use that term often, (well maybe 2 or 3 times on here recently) because to me, it's very true. I'm always hearing stuff that is completely re-hashed that I have heard 30 times over and it's starting to bore the hell out of me tbh . I'm pretty fed up with being force fed formulaic albums and being told that they are the next big thing (which they generally aren't). Generally, they all sound pretty much the same and follow the same old formula and you can guess exactly what the whole album sounds like, even before you even listen to them. 'Shit, run of the mill' music is unfortunately everywhere, in whatever genre you want to listen too and MR/AOR is certainly no different, especially at the moment, as you quite rightly say, it is pretty awful. At least with Cats In Space they are not following that formulaic path, are certainly not claiming to be a hard rock band, and are actually trying to do something a little less obvious, whether you like it or not. What I have heard so far from them is something that grabs my attention (unlike others) and 'In My Opinion', is a hell of a lot more interesting to listen to, especially as I also like a lot of the bands they are influenced by.

You may only like one of two genres of music, but there are few of us out there that like more than that and don't want to listen to the same old same old constantly, hence why I listen to lots of different styles of music in general and always have. It might all be horse shit to you, which is your choice, but there is lots of good music out there that doesn't revolve around Hard rock or AOR

I'm a bit confused, don't know if I like this or not. I loved the first song 'Too Many Gods', thought 'Mr Heartache' was good but the third one only average.

I don't like ELO (though they had their moments) or Jeff Lynne. Maybe it's creeping under my skin, the ELO influences.

On a side note, I think the new Bryan Adams disc is a major disappointment 'cause of the Jeff Lynne factor.

The new Bryan Adams is crap . It's got a couple of good tracks, but basically it sounds like a Jeff Lynne solo album and not a very good one at that. Also, 9 tracks, 25 minutes (with 4 acoustic versions of some of the same songs) to bulk it out isn't really the way to go in these days of diminishing CD sales.

The new Bryan Adams is crap . It's got a couple of good tracks, but basically it sounds like a Jeff Lynne solo album and not a very good one at that. Also, 9 tracks, 25 minutes (with 4 acoustic versions of some of the same songs) to bulk it out isn't really the way to go in these days of diminishing CD sales.

25 minutes!!! Seriously??? Wow that is one short disc. Love Bryan Adams of the 80s and early 90s - anything he did since is total shit IMO and I don't even bother trying his albums anymore. As for this Space Cat Gods thing - count me in as being excited! I think refreshing is the word I would use. You may not have picked it but I do quite like a bit of classic 10cc - not usually my sort of band especially their art-rock side of things but man can that guy sing!

Just as I suspected.....an absolute stunning album!!

I haven't had so much fun in ages hearing all the different influences on this album and with all this going on, it still manages to remain fresh and contemporary at the same time. Have a listen out and see if you can spot any of these...some are obvious, some a little less so, but definitely all in the mix. ELO, Queen, 10CC, John Miles, Supertramp, Cheap Trick, New England, City Boy, Pilot and The Sweet and that's after only listening to it 3 times so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've rated my full 2015 list and feel it's complete, but I've not heard this album yet. Not sure if I need too. I wonder if I should, just for curiosity's sake.

That song above is awful, though. I really feel like it's not worth my time to hear this album...

I've rated my full 2015 list and feel it's complete, but I've not heard this album yet. Not sure if I need too. I wonder if I should, just for curiosity's sake.

That song above is awful, though. I really feel like it's not worth my time to hear this album...

Dont bother. You wont like it.

Dont bother. You wont like it.

Yeah, I've been a bit better this year, trying to avoid stuff I know I'll hate. I think this'd be one best left unheard.

• My Little Pony

Was there a physical release? I could only find a digital version on Amazon.

You could get physical from their site. I don't know where else.