CATS in SPACE - Too Many Gods

Stefan

11147166_996435730407553_716907896520917

11791950_1011135455604247_27986416248286

This sounds interesting. Could be a good one.

From www.catsinspaceband.com:

The Cats have Landed!

They are calling it ‘Power Pop Rock’, and their aim is to unashamedly take you back to the heady days of the 1970s when bands like Queen, ELO, 10cc, Supertramp & Sweet, ruled the airwaves.

Yes, ‘Cats in Space’ are retro, yet they have a sound that has been unheard for many years, in fact probably since those American underground pop masters ‘Jellyfish’. Founding ‘cat’ Greg Hart has recruited a wealth of experience to join him in his musical spaceship destined to land here on Earth as we speak. The debut long player is entitled ‘TOO MANY GODS’, is out in October 2015 and consists of a collection of commercial hit songs all played out and produced in an impeccable manner. The debut single ‘Mr Heartache’ written by Greg and 10cc’s Mick Wilson, is released this September and features a guest appearance from the legendary Andy Scott from ‘Sweet’.

The album features soaring multi tracked vocal harmonies nestle alongside guitar orchestrations, dazzling keyboards, bombastic drums, thundering bass and luscious pianos, and the music is there to be enjoyed in one continuous journey, as it used to be in those awesome analogue days…

Pressrelease:

DESTINATION....EARTH....2015...

‘CATS in SPACE’ have landed! A brand new 6 piece band, who armed with their exciting brand of ‘Power Pop Rock’, will transport you back to the heady days of the 70s when bands like ELO, Queen, 10cc & Cheap Trick in particular, ruled the airwaves.

Featuring band members with a wealth of experience in the music business for over 30 years, both as writers and performers their debut album ‘Too Many Gods’ is released worldwide in late 2015, with a single ‘Mr Heartache’ preceding it in the Summer.

The band members CVs are an impressive list including : THE SWEET, T’PAU, IAN GILLAN, ASIA, ROBIN TROWER, 10cc, ARENA, MORITZ , AIRRACE & STATETROOPER amongst many.

The single co-written by founder member and guitarist GREG HART & lead vocalist of ‘1Occ’, MICK WILSON, also features a guest appearance by legendary Glam Rocker ANDY SCOTT from ‘THE SWEET’ on both vocals and guitar. Mick co-wrote several songs, and sang backing vocals on the entire album and also features as guest lead vocalist alongside PAUL MANZI on two tracks.

‘Too Many Gods’ was recorded and produced at Yellow Fish studios in Sussex, with long term co-pilot IAN CAPLE.

All songs were written by Greg Hart, or co-written by Greg and Mick Wilson.

Also, for the albums ‘centre-piece’, the band recruited legendary producer and Orchestral genius MIKE MORAN, famous for many musical contributions including FREDDIE MERCURY’S ‘Barcelona’. Mike arranged and scored an 80 piece orchestra for the 7 minute epic ‘Greatest Story Never Told’.

With soaring skyscraper vocal harmonies, hook laden choruses drenched in guitars, vintage synthesizers and orchestrations, the ‘CATS in SPACE’ pull no punches in delivering their symphonic power pop rock and hide no influences along the way. As the band say.. this album is “All killer, no kitty litter”!

PERSONEL:

GREG HART Guitars, vocals, Synthesizers

PAUL MANZI Lead vocals

STEEVI BACON Drums, Percussion

DEAN HOWARD Guitars

JEFF BROWN Bass Guitars, vocals

ANDY STEWART Pianos, Synthesizers, Vocoder, Wurlitzer

SPECIAL GUEST PLAYERS:

MICK WILSON Backing vocals, guest Lead vocals, Keyboards

GREG CAMBURN Saxophone

JANEY BOMBSHELL Backing vocals

MIKE MORAN Orchestra arranger and performer.

facebook

'Too Many Gods' preview: https://soundcloud.com/cats-in-space-band/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap! LOVE that sample!

It's like a modern more-AOR version of Electric Light Orchestra.

Yes, I also sense Styx in there.

I reckon this could be a killer release. Nice and varied and not your usual run of the mill MR disc. Very keen to hear the complete album

Yeah, that one does sound interesting. I even hear some vintage Harem Scarem in those chorus backing vocals.

• 2 weeks later...

More info:

UK's CATS in SPACE have landed! A brand new six piece band who, armed with their exciting brand of ‘Power Pop Rock’, will transport you back to the heady days of the 70s when bands like ELO, Queen, 10cc & Cheap Trick, in particular, ruled the airwaves. CATS in SPACE featuring band members with a wealth if experience in the music business for over 30 years, both as writers and performers for bands like: The Sweet, Asia, T’Pau, Ian Gillan Band, Mike Oldfield, Airrace & Arena to name a few, you can expect performances if the highest caliber. Their debut album ‘Too Many Gods’ is released worldwide in October 2, 2015 via Harmony Factory/Cargo Records.

From the album ‘Too Many Gods‘, a debut single, ‘Mr. Heartache’ is released as a digital download on SEPTEMBER 7th 2015. Co-written by founder member and guitaristGREG HART and MICK WILSON (10cc), it also featured a guest appearance by legendary Glam Rocker ANDY SCOTT from THE SWEET on both vocals and guitar. The new ‘Mr. Heartache’ video can be viewed below.

The new album ‘Too Many Gods‘, in typical vintage fashion, will be available in limited 12” deluxe gatefold vinyl and also as a replica LP Compact Disc and digital download.

Tracklisting:

1. ARRIVAL
2. TOO MANY GODS
3. STOP
4. LAST MAN STANDING
5. MR HEARTACHE ** Guest appearance by Andy Scott (SWEET)
6. UNFINISHED SYMPHONY
7. SCHOOLYARD FANTASY ** CD only
8. THE GREATEST STORY NEVER TOLD ** Orchestra arranged and composed by Mike Moran, ** Guest lead vocals Mick Wilson
9. ONLY IN VEGAS
10. MAN IN THE MOON ** Guest lead vocals Mick Wilson
11. FIVE-MINUTE CELEBRITY
12. VELVET HORIZON

‘Too Many Gods’ was recorded and produced at Yellow Fish studios in Sussex, with long-term copilot IAN CAPLE. All songs were written by GREG HART, or co-written by GREG HART and MICK WILSON, who also features on backing vocal and guest lead vocals, alongside PAUL MANZI, creating a spectacular result… Also, for the album’s centerpiece, the band recruited legendary producer and orchestral genius MIKE MORAN, famous for many musical contributions including FREDDIE MERCURY’S ‘Barcelona’. Mike arranged and scored an 80 piece orchestrafor the seven minute epic ‘The Greatest Story Never Told‘.

With soaring skyscraper vocal harmonies, hook laden choruses, drenched in guitars, vintage synthesizers and orchestrations, the ‘CATS in SPACE’ pull no punches in delivering their symphonic ‘Power Pop Rock’ and hide no influences along the way. As the band say, this album is “All killer, no kitty litter!”

Band:
GREG HART – Guitars, Vocals, Synthesizer
PAUL MANZI – Lead vocals
STEEVI BACON – Drums, Percussion
DEAN HOWARD – Guitar
JEFF BROWN – Bass guitar, Vocals
ANDY STEWART – Piano, Synthesizer, Vocoder, Wurlitzer

Special guest players:
MICK WILSON – Guest Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Keys
ANDY SCOTT – Guitar, Vocals
JANEY BOMBSHELL – Backing Vocals
GREG CAMBURN – Saxophone
MIKE MORAN – Orchestra arranger and performer, Piano, Organ

CATS in SPACE, it’s like ELO and New England colliding with Queen, whilst 10CC look on from afar. I get listen to an awful lot of music, and this is the first thing this year that has gotten me genuinely excited. (Rob Evans – PowerPlay)

CATS in SPACE ‘Mr Heartache‘: This is a very stylish specimen of AOR, with keyboards that wobble and choruses that soar and voices that harmonise like E.L.O. meets REO Speedwagon round at 10CC‘s house. It’s made by people who’ve played with everyone from Asia to Ian Gillan to Mike Oldfield and The Sweet (original Sweet guitarist Andy Scott is on board), so they clearly know what they’re doing. And what a great name! Everybody now: CATS… IN… SPAAAAAAACE! (TeamRock)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds most excellent. Definitely softer overall and more laid back than I expected. Will certainly appeal to the West Coast and traditional AOR fans amongst us, but I fear that fans of heavier material will be disappointed.

Me, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Most of it sounds like Crazy From The Heat era David Lee Roth getting together with Burt Bacharach and Dennis DeYoung in a lounge in Vegas.

The title track sound great, as does Mr. Heartache and Five Minute Celebrity...all the rockier songs.

Dan's right, not for the hard rockin' fans out there.

I'd love to listen to the whole thing, but not sure I'll spend money to do so.

• My Little Pony

Sometimes I wish there was no good music coming out. Right now, there are too many releases I'm looking at.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh dear. This one seems to have a lot of you guys excited (I want to state clearly that I am not one of these guys). Hope it doesn't disappoint, though I am 100% sure it will. I would rather eat my own vomit and my cats' for a full week than ever hear that piece of shit ever again. That is abominable.

Oh dear. This one seems to have a lot of you guys excited (I want to state clearly that I am not one of these guys). Hope it doesn't disappoint, though I am 100% sure it will. I would rather eat my own vomit and my cats' for a full week than ever hear that piece of shit ever again. That is abominable.

I take it you were never a fan of ELO Part II?