Favorite Kiss w/out make-up album

Favorite Kiss w/out make-up album  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know man....I've got some Slim Whitman & Yanni CDs that I'll throw up against Zamfir any day of the week! Rock on! :banger:  :banger:  :headbanger:

Hey man, is that Freedom Rock?!?

Turn it up!!! :usa:

But dad, it's Smokey! :P

Edited by Jimbo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything they did after removing the make up is better than the make up days!

Carr & Kulick were far superior to Criss & Frehley!

Point One

Great musicians do not necessarily mean better songs.

Point Two

Bruce Kulick may have been more technically proficient, but he is a cookie cutter guitarist. Nothing is unique. Ace Frehley has a distinctive sound, even if part of that sound is missed notes and pentatonic scales.

Point Three

Peter Criss gets knocked for being a crappy drummer, but he created some very interesting beats that were actually integral parts of some songs. Listen to "Detroit Rock City" and "Goin' Blind".

Point Four

KISS with make-up was cool. KISS without make-up was just like every other lite metal band in the 80s.

BTW, I picked Crazy Nights which I like just slightly better than Revenge. But my faves are still the 70s albums...

Point five:

Only America gave a damn about them (with some interest in Australia & Japan) when they wore make-up, but when they took it off they gained a massive world wide audience!

Crazy Nights is probably their biggest selling album worldwide!

Check their album sales in the 70s for Germany, Canada, Australia, Japan and England and I'll bet you'll be surprised. I guarantee they sold more albums than Boxcar Willy and Zamfir combined! :headbanger:

Kiss were nothing more than a rock band with reasonable album sales & next to no single hits until the 80s & specifically Crazy nights!

Being that I live in England I know that Kiss were pretty much nothing here during their so called heyday!

As for Boxcar Willy & Zamfir,its not surprising they aint big here now is it!

During the 70s,guys like Judas Priest,Alice Cooper,Meat Loaf,Status Quo,Zeppelin & Deep Purple were massive,but hardly anyone knew who Kiss were or knew who they were & saw them as a gimmick band!

Similiar could be said of Aerosmith who only made their mark here with the Pump album,although they obviously got some exposure through their cross over with Run DMC!

Hey Captain,

My comment about Boxcar Willy and Zamfir was my (apparently unsuccessful) way of indicating that I realized I was starting to take the whole argument too seriously and that even though I'm a huge KISS fan and disagree with your assessment I respect your opinion. Even though it's wrong. ;)

Keep rockin'... And in your case, WITHOUT make-up! :P

-Jim

I am AMAZED at how many of you think Crazy Nights would be their best 'non-makeup' album.......WOW.........

I am AMAZED at how many of you think Crazy Nights would be their best 'non-makeup' album.......WOW.........

Yeah, I'm with Jim... "Crazy Crazy Nights" was one of the worst songs they've ever done! :puke: That one's been sitting on my shelf collecting dust since sometime around 1988... <_<

I'm also amazed on how many people like Crazy Nights. I really thought when I started this it would be at the bottom. I mean really the music was just destroyed by the over use of key boards IMO. Ron Nevison just destroyed it. Reason To Live has to be one of the worst ballads they've done.

Crazy nights is a great album,the simple fact is it was the album that really broke them worldwide.

I think why the US might hold this in such low esteem is because they didnt like the fact it changed the Kiss sound they were used to.

I'd put that as probably my third fave Kiss album out of all of them!

Crazy nights is a great album,the simple fact is it was the album that really broke them worldwide.

I think why the US might hold this in such low esteem is because they didnt like the fact it changed the Kiss sound they were used to.

huh?...............'Crazy Nights'.....'was the album that really broke them worldwide.'................huh?

Maybe one too many late night radio shows, Cap'n??!! :crazy:

Just wondering what KISS albums everyone would rank as their hardest or heaviest? A few people have mentioned Revenge because it's like old hard KISS. Other than "Creatures of the Night" which I would rank right up there with "Revenge" on a heavy scale I can't think of anything they did that was really heavier than anything else. Each album had it's moments (Destroyer and Rock And Roll Over comes to mind) but if anything I thought "Animalize" was pretty heavy as well.

huh?...............'Crazy Nights'.....'was the album that really broke them worldwide.'................huh?

Are any of you actually reading my posts?

Before Crazy Nights Kiss were known,yes,but they were nothing more than a reasonably successful.

Bands like Bon Jovi could rack up top forty singles,tour in Stadiums & have multi platinum records.

Kiss could not do that til Crazy nights.

As I said before,Japan & Australia are notable exceptions,but Europe did not buy into Kiss until far later in their career!

In fact during the 70s,the only way you could buy most Kiss albums was on import as they didnt even recieve a European issue!

Are any of you actually reading my posts?

Before Crazy Nights Kiss were known,yes,but they were nothing more than a reasonably successful.

Bands like Bon Jovi could rack up top forty singles,tour in Stadiums & have multi platinum records.

Kiss could not do that til Crazy nights.

As I said before,Japan & Australia are notable exceptions,but Europe did not buy into Kiss until far later in their career!

In fact during the 70s,the only way you could buy most Kiss albums was on import as they didnt even recieve a European issue!

This is all pretty true from what I remember.....I think Americans are far more fascinated with KISS than most of europe is/was....well in my humble opinion anyway!!

I think you guys might need to do some research before ya start spoutin' off things...go to www.rockdetector.com or www.kissfaq.com and see what was going on in the 'rest of the world'..including Britain concerning KISS......seems like they did just fine there during the makeup years.......*shakes head*

• 1 year later...

Went with Revenge as well.Just better songs all the way through without much filler.I like certain songs on the other CD's better(Heaven's On Fire,Uh All Night,All Hell's Breakin Loose)but overall album,Revenge is better.With Asylum running a close second.

I'm also amazed on how many people like Crazy Nights. I really thought when I started this it would be at the bottom. I mean really the music was just destroyed by the over use of key boards IMO. Ron Nevison just destroyed it. Reason To Live has to be one of the worst ballads they've done.

Reason To Live wasn't a very good song but I like the video,the blonde in it is HOT,especially the scenes where she is dancing around in the bathroom with a towel on or should I say barely on!!

Reason To Live wasn't a very good song but I like the video,the blonde in it is HOT,especially the scenes where she is dancing around in the bathroom with a towel on or should I say barely on!!

How can you say that is not good song :anon:

JL

I didn't see this a year ago...I know you said "most Kiss albums"...but I do have English pressings of Alive! and Love Gun on red vinyl through Casablanca and English company Pye Records