Bon Jovi - Burning Bridges

Stefan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it an initial rating of 60%, thanks to the first 3 enjoyable tracks which I will listen to again. Dunno for the rest of it.

It has that camp feeling(and production), something that I wouldn't except from the band. In a couple of tracks there are some poppish/keyboardy riffs that I would have expect to hear in theme songs for TV shows, obviously trying to gain some wider audience here, nothing wrong with it, if the music is great though.

Straight to new Praying Mantis (where's my matured gouda cheese?) and Royal Hunt releases now.

I guess the billion dollars Mercury PolyGram spent promoting Slippery and New Jersey wasn't good enough... Jon just had to go out with one last "FUCK YOU."

"[it fulfills] a commitment to Mercury Records," he tells Billboard. "After 32 years, we have parted ways. That is the big news. If you listen to 'Burning Bridges,' the song, it is clearly spelled out."
The song is last on Burning Bridges' tracklist, and includes the scathing lyrics, "After 30 years of loyalty, they let you dig the grave / Now maybe you can learn to sing or strum along / Well I'll give you half the publishing / You're why I wrote this song."

You know what? Those are my same last words to him.

I've heard this "new" album, what a steaming pile of shit it is imo!

It's a tough one, who knows what he's asking for before he decided to split from them. They've definitely made each other a lot if money over that period, doesn't just go one way.

There's no denying Jon's talent (looks, songwriting etc.) but he should also be thankful to have a label to stand behind him until he exploded on the 3rd album and for keeping to do so through a changing musical climate.

I wonder what his life would be like and where he would be if he was like 16 now and what the future held in store? Is he one if those people that would have been a star regardless?

In my opinion, the reason they parted ways is because the old contract benefited the label much more than the band itself, probably like a 60% of sales goes to label and the rest to the band, so it's better to produce something by your own label and get the whole 100%, and beside probably CEO of the label has changed several times and the now-guy didn't like the band anymore so no more promotional campaign, and to sum it up, like the old Bon Jovi song, 'what was once a holy water, tastes like bitter wine'

I don't care what happens behind the curtains. The music is still pretty good.

You're not fan of contextualism in art, bro? For example, if this is the story, it opens a whole new way to appreciate the song (of course this is not a static procedure and I don't imply that it will make me love it more or less!). Before this I thought that Burning Bridges had to do with the band accommodating a new approach musically/stylistically/you name it.

'Burning Bridges' has some good moments, 'We All Fall Down', 'Fingerprints', 'Who Would You Die For' and 'Blind Love' especially are pretty good tunes. Some OK tracks come in the shape of 'Saturday Night...'We Don't Run' & Life Is Beautiful and the rest is filler. Not a bad album at all, if people bother to listen to it all the way through.

'Burning Bridges' has some good moments, 'We All Fall Down', 'Fingerprints', 'Who Would You Die For' and 'Blind Love' especially are pretty good tunes. Some OK tracks come in the shape of 'Saturday Night...'We Don't Run' & Life Is Beautiful and the rest is filler. Not a bad album at all, if people bother to listen to it all the way through.

I did "BOTHER " to listen to it, and it is boring!!! I know we are never getting the old Jovi back, but come on. This just drags to me, no hooks or catchy chorus'. Boring!

After listening to the entire album... It's geriatric Bon Jovi. In other words, it actually *IS* "your grandfather's Bon Jovi".

About as rocking as a nursing home.

Exactly, thank you!

After listening to the entire album... It's geriatric Bon Jovi. In other words, it actually *IS* "your grandfather's Bon Jovi".

About as rocking as a nursing home.

Exactly, thank you!

I think Europe first claimed the rights to this title. :lol:

I did "BOTHER " to listen to it, and it is boring!!! I know we are never getting the old Jovi back, but come on. This just drags to me, no hooks or catchy chorus'. Boring!

Perfect album for Stephanie to listen to on her Beats while watching her youngest son Bryson play soccer on a dreary October morning at the local junior high school's new field-turf pitch.

I rated it better at around 69% but probably will fall at around 65% and hey check out Nickelback's old song, 'Gotta Be Somebody', sure thing it's very similar to 'Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VRj2uw9L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGMhU24EAA

I'm not the only "hater" out there, and I love this one, Andrew!

So Jon Bon Jovi is all about ‘burning bridges’ in the twilight of his career. He’s burning Richie Sambora and he’s burning Mercury Records. And he’s using big words like integrity…but where is the integrity in throwing together some half-assed compilation of B (more like D) material and expecting fans to lap it up?

10% - Bwahahahahaha... hell, that's 9% too much in my opinion.

Has-been!

Well, I have to admit I thought this one was pretty weak too. Not a complete trainwreck, but not much to it at all. I think Nightrain said at one point that it sounds like a JBJ solo album, and I'd have to agree. Doesn't sound like a band collaborated effort at all; not one bit. I'm definitely not a BJ hater and have found stuff to like on all of the last few albums, but I think I'm gonna struggle with this one... :(

Yep..it certainly isn't as classic by any stretch of the imagination and it's 'limited' packaging and the general air of laziness involved in the whole project does bring the album down a whole lot. Saying that though , as I mentioned above, there at least 4 good songs on it and it is far from deserving a 10% rating musically. Like it, loathe it or just plain leave it alone.

Yeah definitely doesn't deserve the 10% mark but I will agree if it falls around 45%-65% although I'm convinced the major part of 80s community will just dislike it except for couple songs maybe. Let's just hope the real new album in 2016 will at least bring some real rockin' part of Bon Jovi