Bands that should have called it quits instead of changing their singe

What bands do you think made a BIG mistake replacing their singer after a long established career? Maybe you didn't like the new voice, or maybe it brought about a change in musical direction that you didn't like and they should have changed their name as well (but didn't).

I'm guessing it's going to be quite easy to rattle off some names in this thread, but it would be good if you can provide some reasoning to justify your choices.

Great White -- Jack Russell was the sound of Great White to me, and the new version just doesn't sound like the same band any more.

Bonfire -- again, too long and established with Claus Lessmann, so pointless with David Reece.

Skid Row -- couldn't see the point without Seb Bach, should have changed their name, considering they changed their style to more melodic rock.

Iron Maiden -- Blaze Bayley was totally unsuited to the band, even though I do actually quite like his albums, mainly because the tunes were still good and they still sounded like Maiden.

Judas Priest -- in contrast to Iron Maiden, I wasn't too bothered with Ripper Owens replacing Halford, he's got a good voice and brought a more "macho" style to the band, and I often give the "98 Live Meltdown" album a spin. However, I really didn't like the two albums they made with him.

Yes, the Great White is at the top for me. One of my favorite bands and love Jacks voice.

BLACK SABBATH after Dio, Ozzy's return with '13' ain't that bad but I can live without it

FATE after 'Scratch n Sniff'

GOTTHARD after Steve Lee's death

MOTLEY CRUE after Vince Neil quit and replaced by Corabi. If 'Dr.Feelgood' is their last album then I'll be fine

SKID ROW after Bach but I'm anxiously anticipating the new album with Harnell, even though I kinda doubt it

SEPULTURA after Max Cavelera's exit

TNT after Harnell's exit in 2005 ?

VAN HALEN after Hagar's exit

WARRANT after Jani Lane

I don't follow MARILLION too much but I think I'm fine with Hogarth and also with JOURNEY, no problem, I love Perry and even though Pineda is a bit inferior, I think he can capture the soul quite well

GREAT WHITE is fine by me without Jack since Terry is an exceptional singer too

From some of those mentioned:

I stopped buying Gotthard albums after Steve Lee's death, although from what I've heard, they picked a replacement who could carry on in a relatively similar style.

And having never been a Journey fan, who I thought were a bit too wet and wasn't keen on that "poppy" AOR sound, I did buy Revelation when it came out (the 2-CD set with the disc of re-recorded older songs), and really enjoyed it, so don't have a problem with them carrying on with the new guy. Plus, I got interested in their story of how they found him, and watched the Youtube videos of the news story and his old covers band, so I kind of warmed to the idea that way.

Skid Row

I kind of agree with Glen when it comes to Marillion - a change of name might have been a better idea once Hogarth was on board?

Another one I've just thought of is Spock's Beard.

I'm a big Neal Morse fan (love his voice, and could listen to his solo albums all day long), and I didn't like the samples I heard of their first album following his departure, so haven't followed them since. However, I have noticed that they still get good reviews, so wasn't sure to include them in this thread as I'm not familiar with what they do nowadays.

I'm a big Neal Morse fan (love his voice, and could listen to his solo albums all day long), and I didn't like the samples I heard of their first album following his departure, so haven't followed them since. However, I have noticed that they still get good reviews, so wasn't sure to include them in this thread as I'm not familiar with what they do nowadays.

The albums they did with drummer Nick D'Virgilio providing the vocals are pretty good, I haven't heard anything they've done with the new guy yet ...

And having never been a Journey fan, who I thought were a bit too wet and wasn't keen on that "poppy" AOR sound, I did buy Revelation when it came out (the 2-CD set with the disc of re-recorded older songs), and really enjoyed it, so don't have a problem with them carrying on with the new guy. Plus, I got interested in their story of how they found him, and watched the Youtube videos of the news story and his old covers band, so I kind of warmed to the idea that way.

poppy sound? that's an odd comment. There are elements of Raised on Radio which could be described as approaching a poppy sound but EVERYTHING prior to that is not even close to the description.

In fact everything up to Departure had a raw hard rock edge.

There's nothing as such wrong with Pineda, but they are almost like a tribute band now - most of the new material is not good enough to make the live shows - Revelations is a very good album but none of those songs will break the mould of their greatest hits live.

Also I like Pineda but there's something about him which just sits wrong with me - his voice is good, but not good enough to make the hits really shine like they should.

That said I think they might have one truly great album in them still, and I hope that Schon is inspired by the new Rev Saints album and gets back to writing short hooky melodic rock songs rather than the more experimental, progressive style of Eclipse.

Agree with many of the bands I know in this thread. Bands like Great White, TNT, Skid Row, Gotthard, Bonfire and Warrant have no business continuing with their band name after the departure of their original vocalists.

I think Jaded Heart ceased to be the "real" Jaded Heart when Bormann left too, despite me thinking some of the post-Bormann albums are excellent.

As for Journey, they raise an interesting question. When looking for a new vocalist, do you go for someone unique and comfortable with who they are, or seek a voice that retains the sound of the guy who the new guy's replacing. I'm no massive fan of Journey either, but I kinda dig what they have done and feel that all the albums after Perry still sound like Journey 100%. I have no issue with the current dude at all. 'Revelation' is my favourite Journey album, although 'Eclipse' is absolute horseshit.

'Revelation' is my favourite Journey album, although 'Eclipse' is absolute horseshit.

Lol.

Is that the same "Eclipse" that got a 100% MelodicRock.com rating?

Did it?? Wow. I do actually own all Journey albums since 1983 but would eat the insides of my buttock cheeks before I bought that heap of shit, let alone listen to it again unless I try to complete my Journey ratings for my Album Registry. ;)

'Revelation' is my favourite Journey album, although 'Eclipse' is absolute horseshit.

Lol.

haha it ain't that bad, I believe it's worth around 70-75% :D

Lol.

haha it ain't that bad, I believe it's worth around 70-75% :D

There are a few excellent songs on that album but i dont think the style suits Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with many of the bands I know in this thread. Bands like Great White, TNT, Skid Row, Gotthard, Bonfire and Warrant have no business continuing with their band name after the departure of their original vocalists.

I think Jaded Heart ceased to be the "real" Jaded Heart when Bormann left too, despite me thinking some of the post-Bormann albums are excellent.

As for Journey, they raise an interesting question. When looking for a new vocalist, do you go for someone unique and comfortable with who they are, or seek a voice that retains the sound of the guy who the new guy's replacing. I'm no massive fan of Journey either, but I kinda dig what they have done and feel that all the albums after Perry still sound like Journey 100%. I have no issue with the current dude at all. 'Revelation' is my favourite Journey album, although 'Eclipse' is absolute horseshit.

I used to think the same about BONFIRE! But I don't hold the same opinion, after witnessing their appearance, yesterday, in Power of The Night Festival (Cyprus). Reece was so so great! Chapeau! You can take the man out of the BONFIRE, but you can't take the BONFIRE out of the man.Please allow me more time to elaborate my thoughts in a more linear order the next couple of days!

• 2 months later...
  • My Little Pony

The albums they did with drummer Nick D'Virgilio providing the vocals are pretty good, I haven't heard anything they've done with the new guy yet ...

Yup. Nick's voice is great.