IRON MAIDEN - The Book Of Souls (2015) DOUBLE CD

AlphaMale

I didn't like their last album, Final Frontier... Bruce's voice just grated on me all the time.

But I have really enjoyed the previous "prog"-styled albums since Brave New World.

Hopefully this will be a good one...

Top man! This is it really, I think they are making great music these days, I just can't bear to listen to it! Real shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7A24f6gNc

I have this on preorder, but like everything since the reunion I am not expecting to be blown away.

This track is good, but nothing special for me.

Have not actually loved a Maiden album since X Factor, and not loved a song since The Clansman (or Virus, whichever it was that was released last).
Love the classic Maiden stuff, but from Virtual XI onwards I can honestly say I have never spun any of their albums more than a few times each.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, I think maybe they should be aiming more for shorter, hard-hitting tunes like "Wicker Man", a song that brought many of us back on board.

Am a little skeptical of the song lengths here, and it seems to be a pattern....some occasional epics are fine, but every song?

hmmm....

yeah I think Maiden might went too proggy with this new album, probably will be as mediocre as the last one. 'Speed of Light' sounds good, the riffs are classic but songwise I think the quality is way below their peak, especially the anti-climax chorus.

It's okay to have 1 or 2 lengthy tracks, but IMO Maiden really shines on the intense 5-minutes heavy metal tune

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly generic Maiden sound again, with very few stand out songs, and far too many overly long songs.

I really really want to be wowed by Maiden again, but since the comeback its all sounded like rehashes of older songs. (and not always their own going on the Enter Sandmanesque riff in Speed of light).

Once again it is not a bad album by any means, just nothing special. M

Musically they are still fantastic, and Bruce can still sing like nobody else, but the songs just do not have the greatness of Number or the beast, Run to the hills or even Bring your daughter to the slaughter.

Like the last few albums, I cannot see this one getting spun too often sadly.