Listening To Something In A Foreign Language...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Here you go, one of the best bands ever... X Japan. There's a little English in here so maybe this is the perfect starting point Geoff?

Weekend:

The great/funny thing about a lot of Japanese bands is that their choruses are in English. I don't get it. Wouldn't the majority of their fan base suddenly be lost for those twenty or so seconds?

Here you go, one of the best bands ever... X Japan. There's a little English in here so maybe this is the perfect starting point Geoff?

Weekend:

The great/funny thing about a lot of Japanese bands is that their choruses are in English. I don't get it. Wouldn't the majority of their fan base suddenly be lost for those twenty or so seconds?

Nope, heaps of non-english speaking countries make the effort to learn English. Lucky for those that like their music only sung in English because our genre is propped up and probably only relevant due to the European bands.

rikery.

Excusez-moi, is that really a word?

Think Get Smart. "Not Craw!! Craw!!!!"

I love this thread so much. Geoff can you please listen to a track or two from Valonkantajat's "Pimentola" and give your final thoughts on this matter.

Sorry mate, I wish I could give you something new on the issue, but it's the same story. The music is "okay" - nothing you can't find on 1000 English releases from the same year - but again, the rest is just pointless. If listening to "voi tounetoutom notten rip yellen se onnen envittein" (including about 68 spots above all the letters in that once sentence) is your idea of a good time, I do pity you, but good luck to you. How do you actually even say "Onnenriistäjäl" if someone asks you what you're listening to?

I can't use any more words on the subject to express how stupid I find the whole thing.

As for X-Japan, they were another band I tried out a long time ago. Apart from actually not thinking they were a very good band regardless of the language, it's still the same thing. I think they did throw an English word in some choruses every now and then for good measure, but it doesn't make the other 90% of the song any more comprehendible. Just stupid gibberish noise to me.

Great find JamesEagle, am going to be getting me some Valonkantajat asap!

Top man! It's a great, great album. In a way they should try singing in English if they want to "make it", but I respect them choosing to sing in their native tongue.

• My Little Pony

Great find JamesEagle, am going to be getting me some Valonkantajat asap!

Top man! It's a great, great album. In a way they should try singing in English if they want to "make it", but I respect them choosing to sing in their native tongue.

Folk Metal bands also sound better in their native tongue.

I recommend the first Beau Geste album. If you like early 80's AOR sung mostly in French.

In keeping with the Japanese theme here's a couple more for Geoff to hate. Seikima II is one of my all time favorite bands and IMO have 20 or so killer tracks in their arsenal. This is one of them performed live. Be sure to stick to the end as it's in 4 movements and the singer sings on his head during the last movement (skip to just before 6 mins if you can't get through the talking of the 3rd movement).

The Demonic Symphony Suite Opus 666:

https://youtu.be/SCUYrcWLHLA

And to prove Geoff is wrong they released a greatest hits all re-recorded in English. It was terrible!

The point here is that you get something different from artists from different cultures.

Another example is Galneryus. A Japanese metal band. In this track they fuse the speed of DragonForce with German power metal hymns but delivered in a completely original way. Tons of hooks, technicality, melody and smokin' hot coolness!

Destiny:

https://youtu.be/-hL-iO86vdI

Galneryus are amazing! Some of the guitar pieces are definitely worth listening to. I like that Seikima II track too.

I listen to some languages like Italian, Spanish, English or bands from my native country (I live in Switzerland but was born in what was formerly known as Yugoslavia) There's also languages I intentionally avoid like German :D I don't really have to understand what's being sung, but it's a bonus and kinda cool when listening to a foreign language and you know what they're singing about. What do you guys think about this one? I like the build up and the vibe at the beginning of the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlTPxUjbhw