Listening To Something In A Foreign Language...

yeah same here, don't mind foreign language although I'll enjoy an English songs especially without accent.

I have many Japanese CDs and I enjoy them a lot and to understand the lyric, I just google the translation or google-translate it :D

and honestly speaking, some of us even though understand English very well, sometimes we don't really understand the real meaning behind those poetic words, right ? :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre weird ;-)

So you like the new Ten release then? If you dont register the stupid lyrics about dragons etc.....

It worked for Dio ;)

I've been put off a lot of bands, from different genres, because the vocals don't fit with the music. As I said before, that's more important to me than the language being used. I've got albums by French and Spanish bands, Russian bands, Icelandic bands, all manner of Scandanavian bands, German bands, Italian bands ... sometimes it can be a bit frustrating if I'm enjoying a song so much that I'd like to sing along if I could, but that doesn't mean I'd prefer them to be singing in English.

Rammstein work so well because a lot of their lyrics play on the pronunciation of certain German words - 'Du Hast', depending on how it's said, can mean 'you have' or 'you hate'.

There used to be a website dedicated entirely to French Canadian melodic rock bands and can I say some of them were incredible sounding bands...some of the best melodic rock you will ever hear. BUT being in a foeign language I just couldn't appreciate what I was listening to.

Not understanding the lyrics and therefore not listening to a song or band is similar to not holidaying overseas because you don't know the language. It's just music, just a holiday, enjoy. If you want to find out more, delve further, you always can.

Nah, don't agree with that one at all, mate. Two very different things; main thing being, is a lot of people in most places in the world - especially tourist destinations - speak at least a bit of English. And a holiday is a 2 week trip (give or take) to a new and interesting place that offers a lifetime of memories.

Selecting to listen to a band you don't understand is a commitment to enjoy and listen to this band for, ideally, the rest of your life. Whereas you will not understand people on holiday for 2 weeks, you still won't understand that music in 22 years.

• My Little Pony

Not understanding the lyrics and therefore not listening to a song or band is similar to not holidaying overseas because you don't know the language. It's just music, just a holiday, enjoy. If you want to find out more, delve further, you always can.

Truu! That's about as good an analogy as we'll get.

It's actually really not. As per my above post, it's a terrible one. Sorry DaHun, love your work but you missed the mark with that one. ;)

I mean, in perspective, how is it that literally the most exciting and some of the best times of my life have been my holidays to foreign countries. Yet, as per my annoying presence in this thread, I hate music with foreign languages. If the two are so alike, why is one my favourite thing ever and why do I despise the other?

The thing is, when I go to Tonga, 99% of the people I meet there will speak English. When I play the Tanner CD, I still don't understand 100% of it.

• My Little Pony

It's actually really not. As per my above post, it's a terrible one. Sorry DaHun, love your work but you missed the mark with that one. ;)

I mean, in perspective, how is it that literally the most exciting and some of the best times of my life have been my holidays to foreign countries. Yet, as per my annoying presence in this thread, I hate music with foreign languages. If the two are so alike, why is one my favourite thing ever and why do I despise the other?

The thing is, when I go to Tonga, 99% of the people I meet there will speak English. When I play the Tanner CD, I still don't understand 100% of it.

Makes perfect sense. You just admitted you vacation in places that speak English, even if it isn't their first language. So it also makes sense you wouldn't listen to foreign language music. But those of us that do listen to foreign language music are the type of people that go vacationing to places regardless of the language. Trying to learn it while there is part of the experience. It's part of the immersion.

O me o my Geoff you are one stubborn rocker! Hey I've got 3 young'uns so the stubborn is strong with me also. Let's let the music do the talking shall we?

This whole thread starts with Axelinger voicing his disappointment at Swedish power metal band Falconer releasing an album in their native tongue after releasing 6 albums sung in English. The problem here is not the language, it's the band never being able to match their amazing debut from 2001!

Speaking of the debut album, here is a folk track sung in Swedish off that very album.

I'd argue the lyrics and their delivery make this so much more interesting, melodic than the track would be in English.

https://youtu.be/CkegVVoG4IM

After you've listened to it and interested in knowing what it's about then check this out:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%B6res_d%C3%B6ttrar_i_W%C3%A4nge

Sorry mate, lost me at the first word. I cannot express to you (and people) how pointless it is to me listening to anything in a language I don't understand. That is just jumbled noise to me and I'd rather listen to a christian band... and that's saying something. Like I said, it's no different from my cat or dog singing on a CD, except it'd be less irritating than that.

Add to that I wouldn't listen to that type of music ever anyway, and you have the double whammy. Hate it. An incredible amount.

OK, let's simplify a little. This was the best song from that album and one of the poodles best imo. Great build, pre chorus, chorus etc. My kids are dancing to this now.

https://youtu.be/MxUhHQKZRGs

OK, let's simplify a little. This was the best song from that album and one of the poodles best imo. Great build, pre chorus, chorus etc. My kids are dancing to this now.

https://youtu.be/MxUhHQKZRGs

I totally agree, that sounds like it would have been an excellent song, if it was in English. It's the kind of song I'd spin constantly and put on my 'Best of' CDs and I'd order you to send me the MP3 immediately or die, if it was in English.

But it's in another language and means nothing to me and it's just a great music track with noise over the top. Just completely pointless. As it is, I wouldn't ever listen to it again, unless they recorded an English version. This is a perfect example of how pointless the whole foreign language thing is. I cannot understand the point in listening to 'Ing em tee incansal o mals, enfor uma for ela, in cam tee foau alllaazz.' Sorry mate, but you cannot convince me that it is anything but stupid and pointless.

Gawd, but I just love stirring up shit, and then sitting back to watch the fireworks... Actually, that wasn't my intent at all, but what the hell? That's entertainment.

Geoff, am guessing the missus doesn't lure you into bed with sexy French musings...coz that's just another language that means nothing to you? Do u tell her its stupid and pointless?

Here's another pointless track:

https://youtu.be/5Yy6KxBB14E

If I was getting my knob gobbed she could speak fluently in polar bear for all I care. But that's a very different scenario with a far greater reward.

For the record, that Ari Kouroivuneeeneninun track is absolute fucking shit, regardless of the language. Even if that one was in English I'd vomit on it.

I once bought an album by a Polish band, in Polish...because it had such damn good reviews...no idea why I did that because I played it a couple of times, couldn't understand a word and never played it again. For the record it was an album called 'Demon' by a band called 'Fatum'

To me, foreign lyrics sound pretty much like the Swedish Chef warbling, "Err de slair de herr upt graer de hept de baer de schmerr. Laeder de haider de baer. Bork, bork, bork!!" That ain't very musical in my book. Songs, for me, consist of two parts - except for instrumentals, of course. The music is first - are they producing sounds pleasant and interesting to me? If yes - continue on to the lyrics. If no - shitcan it immediately. Do the lyrics display something I find melodic and interesting? Do they flow along (mostly) coherent in English, and display a certain amount of thought and intelligence, and most importantly, do I UNDERSTAND what the fuck they're singing about? If yes - we have a winner. If no - instant dispersal to the crap pile. If I don't understand the language, it remains, for all intents and purposes, gibberish, and as I stated earlier, the Swedish Chef is not music to my ears. You can record the most gorgeous, melodic music there is, but if the vocal accompaniment sounds like a mishmash of pigs squealing and banshees screeching (think Yoko Ono for example), I see absolutely no point in continuing to listen to it. Communication is vital in life, so if foreign words do not register with actual meaning to me, then they simply relay nothing but incoherent sound. It seems awfully stupid to have someone ask you what the fuck you're listening to, and you have to say, 'I haven't got a bloody clue." They could be singing about disembowling goats, or getting a handjob from someone's grandmother in a foreign language, which makes it all the more absurd. Comprehension is vital. No English = no comprehension = no listen. Period.

For me, the best rock album of 2014 was Valonkantajat's "Pimentola". They are Finnish and sing entirely in their native tongue. Amazing music, incredible melodies and some of the best guitar solos I've heard in years. I'd love to know what the f*** they are banging on about, but when the tunes are this good, it seems wrong to quibble.

valon-cover.jpg

SUCH incredible songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2j0m3HzWt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNjM4bXN8c

I love this thread so much. Geoff can you please listen to a track or two from Valonkantajat's "Pimentola" and give your final thoughts on this matter.

Here you go, one of the best bands ever... X Japan. There's a little English in here so maybe this is the perfect starting point Geoff?

Weekend: