Not as good as you remember...

Dark

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that's probably because they were playing all the old crap that they have reverted back to on the new album.

I saw them about 3 years ago playing all stuff from the more recent albums and they were awesome.

Blew Crashdiet away for starters.

The debate is fun and what the forum is all about, but we're never going to convert each other, are we? It's all about the songs and I've only heard one song by HS that I liked. A bit. I don't mind their sound, but I don't rate their songs, whereas you do. Fair enough.

Could be an idea for a new thread though ... has HH ever converted you to like a band you previously weren't a fan of? Hmm...

Yes - Ratt ... well, HH and your constant banging on about how good they are ... that said, I only listen to the earlier stuff :)

Yes, Van Halen.

Oh, whoops. Sorry, I just realised they still suck goat balls.

But yeah, seriously, the answer is no. Thankfully, I only like good music. So it'd be impossible to convert me into someone who likes shit music.

Yes, Van Halen.

But yeah, seriously, the answer is no. Thankfully, I only like good music. So it'd be impossible to convert me into someone who likes shit music.

VH is AWESOME period!

I recently listened to Tesla again and experienced that... When I first got into them a few years ago I was blown away by ''The Great Radio Controversy'' but now there were a lot of songs I just skipped. The debut was my second favorite album of theirs and is now my favorite cause I enjoy most of it and think it's a good album. Never really been a big fan of ''Psychotic Supper'' and ''Bust A Nut'' even less and this hasn't changed

So this is where I'm at with them right now, solid debut that can be listened to as a whole and a nice compilation with songs from the other albums but that's it

I thought that when i rated GRC in the 1989 listings, but i think it was just cos i hadnt listened to it for ages. Another few spins and i was right back to lovin it.

Think it came in mid 80s in the end.

I recently listened to Tesla again and experienced that... When I first got into them a few years ago I was blown away by ''The Great Radio Controversy'' but now there were a lot of songs I just skipped. The debut was my second favorite album of theirs and is now my favorite cause I enjoy most of it and think it's a good album. Never really been a big fan of ''Psychotic Supper'' and ''Bust A Nut'' even less and this hasn't changed

So this is where I'm at with them right now, solid debut that can be listened to as a whole and a nice compilation with songs from the other albums but that's it

Personally think that TGRC and PS are both great, even today. Agree on BAN though, I thought that one was distinctly average.

Yes, Van Halen.

VH is AWESOME period!

What he said ... well, up until they got Gary Cherone to front the band ... it all went a bit 'tits up' after that ...

Back on topic ... I made the mistake of listening to Tygers Of Pan Tang's 'The Cage' again the other day ... I used to quite like this album, but I could only sit through two songs (and one of those is a cover!)

Haven't heard Tygers of Pan Tang yet.

I remember liking Vow Wow in the 80's but they weren't as good this time around.

Controversial one during my 1990 ratings............

Paul Laine - Stick It In Your Ear.

Certainly not bad but nowhere near the classic I remembered. I rated it 80.5%

There are 2 absolute killers 'Dorianna' and 'Is It Love'

3 Really good songs.........but the rest are fairly average.

I don't think that's controversial. In my mind, Paul Laine's album should fall around 83 to 85% so your rating should not be far from the reasonable score. Haven't heard it for a while but man what a killer song 'Dorianna' is :D

I don't think that's controversial. In my mind, Paul Laine's album should fall around 83 to 85% so your rating should not be far from the reasonable score. Haven't heard it for a while but man what a killer song 'Dorianna' is :D

There is a handful of utterly stunning songs on it, but yeah, I agree there's a few that don't quite hit the mark. No real duds, but definitely a few that don't live up to the strength of the others.

'We are the young' and 'Heart of America' are ball blowers too. I'd probably toss a few 10's at this disc, I think. 'Dorianna' is a no-brainer, but I feel like some of those others would probably slide in too. I'm rating J now, so this one's not too far away. :)

There is a handful of utterly stunning songs on it, but yeah, I agree there's a few that don't quite hit the mark. No real duds, but definitely a few that don't live up to the strength of the others.

'We are the young' and 'Heart of America' are ball blowers too. I'd probably toss a few 10's at this disc, I think. 'Dorianna' is a no-brainer, but I feel like some of those others would probably slide in too. I'm rating J now, so this one's not too far away. :)

Funnily enough the lead track is killer until that WEIRD instrumental break almost ruins it........only scraped a 7.5% in the end. Way too unnecessarily long....a shame.

Haven't heard Tygers of Pan Tang yet.

I remember liking Vow Wow in the 80's but they weren't as good this time around.

'Spellbound' is a great album, 'Crazy Nights' is okay ... I'd avoid the first Tygers album (which has a different vocalist - Jess Cox - who's an acquired taste), and pretty much anything they did after 'The Cage' ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Love a bit of the Tygers...'Spellbound' is definitely their finest hour and still is a good listen even after 30+ years. I still don't mind 'Wildcat' for a bit of nostalgia (used to go and see these guys live loads of times) and 'The Cage' still sounds ok too. Their weakest album would have to be 'Crazy Nights' which was basically leftovers from the 'Spellbound' sessions and sounds like it.

Vow Wow...The accented vocals will put some off but 'Beat Of Metal Motion', 'Cyclone' and 'V' are all top quality albums I still listen too fairly regularly

I used to spin V and Helter Skelter a lot in the early 90's but after nearly 20 years of not hearing them i found the lead vocals a bit annoying on most tracks. I still love Cry No More and Rock Me Now though

• 7 years later...

If it came with a trend, it wore out like the trend and of course there are too many to list. However there are some elder artists and bands with whom I have more interest in now (2020-22) since either their heyday or whenever I first heard the music: The White Stripes, ELO, David Bowie, post-Beatles McCartney, Michael Jackson (emphasis on mid-late 70s Jacksons), Dio-fronted Sabbath, Alice In Chains (including post-Layne) and Rush.

Edited by Maximum Worf
clarity