Not as good as you remember...

Dark

Do you ever put something on to listen to that you haven't heard in a long time thinking this is going to be great and it's not as good as you remember?

I hadn't heard Mr Big's first two albums in years and years and listened to them very recently and didn't think much to them but loved them when they were released.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Every Mother's Nightmare album ... when it first came out, I loved it, but I stuck it on recently and found myself skipping most of the songs :(

The first Every Mother's Nightmare album ... when it first came out, I loved it, but I stuck it on recently and found myself skipping most of the songs :(

Yeah, it's not great. And even the second one, which is a really good album, is just massacred by the terrible production job. As I've always said, if they had the debut's production mixed with the 2nd album's songs, you'd have an absolute gem. Even with the production of 'If I had my way' and 'Slip and fall' (produced by Kevin Elson) for the whole album, it would have been brilliant. :(

Little Angels and Love/Hate are another two bands. I listened to both bands first two albums and they didn't do anything for me.

I think my tastes have evolved but i'm not sure they've changed. I still dig some tracks from back in the day. I heard Firehouse All She Wrote again yesterday for the billionth time and it still has the same impact but i was surprised by Mr Big. Green Tinted Sixties Mind still sounds good but the rest sounds like there is a little something missing. Maybe i have got used to a more polished sound from recent music

Little Angels and Love/Hate are another two bands. I listened to both bands first two albums and they didn't do anything for me.

Love hates debut is a bloody classic. Always has been and always will be.

But i will say that having been rating 1989 for the last few weeks there were a number of albums which were nowhere near what i remember.

A prime example is the Drive She Said debut. 4 great songs and a whole bunch of filler = pretty average album.

I played Love/Hate a lot and was looking forward to hearing it again after 20 years. Thinking back i reckon i went off it back then. They seem to do something brilliant and then something shit in every song and i'm tolerant of the shit now that i'm older :)

I haven't heard Drive, She Said's first release but Hard Way Home is my favourite track of theirs.

I played Love/Hate a lot and was looking forward to hearing it again after 20 years. Thinking back i reckon i went off it back then. They seem to do something brilliant and then something shit in every song and i'm tolerant of the shit now that i'm older :)

I haven't heard Drive, She Said's first release but Hard Way Home is my favourite track of theirs.

'Hard Way Home' is probably the only song of theirs worth having ... I'm with Glen, they're pretty average ...

Yeah, it's not great. And even the second one, which is a really good album, is just massacred by the terrible production job. As I've always said, if they had the debut's production mixed with the 2nd album's songs, you'd have an absolute gem. Even with the production of 'If I had my way' and 'Slip and fall' (produced by Kevin Elson) for the whole album, it would have been brilliant. :(

Good point ... if only they'd tagged 'Walls Come Down' and 'Love Can Make You Blind' onto that second album ... ;)

I like the first Little Angels album, but I'd never go as far as to say it's a classic (or even an absolute favourite) - I was VERY disappointed by the second Love/Hate album ... although i kepot hold of it for years before having to admit that I was NEVER going to play it all the way through ever again ...

Rock City Angels: 'Young Man's Blues'. I bought it when it first came out, as a double album (three sides of songs; side four was some sort of remix of 'Beyond Babylon'), and having played it on CD recently, I reckon they could have lost about half a dozen songs and had an absolute killer of an album ... instead of ending up with something that's 'okay' ...

I just listened to Alias. It about bored me to tears. I never thought it a classic, but I don't remember it being that bad.

Haven't heard Alias for a while but i do remember it being fairly average. However me and the missus sat down and listened to dozens of tracks and she picked More Than Words Can Say as our first dance at our wedding. I can honestly say that no one there knew it :)

Good point ... if only they'd tagged 'Walls Come Down' and 'Love Can Make You Blind' onto that second album ... ;)

Yeah, 'Walls come down' is still a pretty killer song, and 'Love can make you blind' is "okay" for a token ballad. The 3 ballads on the 2nd album are all 100 times better, though.

As for the others in this thread, I have a feeling that Love/Hate's debut won't have the same amount of joy for me anymore either. Some great songs like the title track and 'Straightjacket,' but I think I'll be agreeing with the Dark that there is probably plenty of filler.

Little Angels and Rock City Angels are both bands I sold within months of buying their CDs. What can I say, dudes, should have listened to me. ;):lol:

Alias - heard that debut the other day and loved it as much as I ever did, if not more. Killer disc, imo.

Drive She Said are exactly as I remember them. A shit band with 3-4 good songs on their first two albums. I agree they're poor, but I kinda always knew that. :)

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as Glen. Listening to A LOT of old albums this year and basically there is not a single day that goes by that I don't hear at least one album where I'm all like, 'Hmmm, that's not quite as good as I remember.' Take today for instance; I always thought Gemini Five's 'Black anthem' was a great disc. But it's not. It's really pretty weak and the debut is much better.

I was never as into Goodbye Thrill as other people were, but I listened to the two albums again today and they are more or less terrible. How anyone let this Ferriera guy ANYWHERE near a production table is beyond me. His solo album from a few years earlier was unlistenable, and both of these albums aren't far off. And he is a terrible song writer. It's a shame, because the premise for okay melodic rock / AOR songs is there, but everything is just executed so, so poorly.

I'll add L.A. Guns and Pretty Boy Floyd to this topic. I played both to death in my early teens but PBF especially doesn't sound to have aged too well to my ears.

Understatement of the year mate. Its pretty awful imo. A few decent tracks keep the rating in the 60s but yeah its aged badly.

As for LA Guns - i recently rated Cocked & Loaded and that fared pretty badly too. I do recall the debut being a delicious sleazy beast though.....

'Cocked and Loaded' is fat better than LA Guns' debut, imo.

I got one for this thread;

Guild of Ages. I like the first CITA album, and really quite love the second one. And I just assumed I felt the same about GOA. But playing those first two albums on Friday was almost painful at times. It's not that they're bad as such, but they're just sooo bland. They just sound so soul-less, by-the-numbers and stale. Every riff, melody and lyric just sounds bland. Yeah, it was pretty disappointing to hear how badly those albums had aged.

Those guild of ages releases were never good, even at the time. They were a big letdown after the cita releases. Still have them hoping they will age but the best one is the one that came with the cita live disc.

Those guild of ages releases were never good, even at the time. They were a big letdown after the cita releases. Still have them hoping they will age but the best one is the one that came with the cita live disc.

I'm yet to listen to the third (until tomorrow), but I wonder if that debut might actually be the weakest of the three. I assume you suggest it's their best because of the live album with CITA songs alone, but yeah, the actual GOA disc is very weak.

I wonder whatever happened to the guys? I remember the Relapsed disc sounding like ass with a horrible production job, and that was the last album from these guys, wasn't it? Shame they never capitalised on the strength of the 2nd CITA disc.

I'm adding Ratt to this subject. I'm listening to them now and the first four albums are bland apart from Round and Round. Really samey and a bit flat.

I'm adding Ratt to this subject. I'm listening to them now and the first four albums are bland apart from Round and Round. Really samey and a bit flat.

RATT is awesome, sorry dude!