nyoilers

Poor Toykyo Dome Start

While I realize that CD sales are in decline and such,it still surprised me that Van Halen's live CD had a debut of #20 on Billboard 's top 200 and then the next week fell to #60.With all the promotion they did by going on as many talk shows as they could I thought a top 10 showing would happen..

While I realize that CD sales are in decline and such,it still surprised me that Van Halen's live CD had a debut of #20 on Billboard 's top 200 and then the next week fell to #60.With all the promotion they did by going on as many talk shows as they could I thought a top 10 showing would happen..

You're forgetting that they sound like shit on the album ... :(

You're forgetting that they sound like shit on the album ... :(

Yeah, and considering that's all that anyone will say about that album, it makes sense that sales would die.

There are two factors at work here.

A. People don't give a sh*t about buying CDs anymore.

and

B. People give even less of a sh*t about buying useless live CDs.

While I agree that CD buying is down and DLR's voice sounds bad,they still did a lot of promoting.I heard in LA when they were on Jimmy Kimmel that the streets were crowded with people to hear them play.

While I agree that CD buying is down and DLR's voice sounds bad,they still did a lot of promoting.I heard in LA when they were on Jimmy Kimmel that the streets were crowded with people to hear them play.

And there you have it ... as has been said elsewhere, with Van Halen (particularly with DLR at the helm), it's all about the show. I'd still pay money to see them in concert (although the chances of them EVER playing the UK again are on the far side of remote), or I'd think about picking up a live DVD, but I wouldn't want to sit through a live album from the current line-up.

When I think about my favourite live albums, they all come from a certain point in time - Thin Lizzy, UFO, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Blue Oyster Cult ... all bands at the top of their game, before the days when EVERYTHING was filmed and stuck on the internet, and there was a real excitement about hearing your favourite songs performed in front of a crowd (or, in Priest's case, performed in front of a crowd, and then over-dubbed to within an inch of their lives!)

What annoys me about some releases is i hear the live album and think wow i must get that on DVD but the DVD is different to the CD :( Live After Death and Pink Floyd's Pulse are both like that and the DVD's just don't live up the CD's.

Anyways you guys are really selling Tokyo Dome to me really well :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The latest Canadian numbers are 7414 cases and 92 deaths which while not great is a lot better than what is happening in the U.S.....the main reason it has not exploded here is that social distancing seems to be working , of course there are fines and possible arrest for groups of more than 5 to make people think responsibly .... of course we still haven't reached the peak yet so it will get worse...the biggest issue here is that we still need to ramp up testing to find out who is actually carrying the virus, we won't get a grip on it until we can isolate everyone who has it.... Australia seems to be doing a better job at dealing with the virus than Canada, their numbers are lower and they have tested more people per capita than almost anyone exept South Korea..... Two things that are irritating me at the moment.... 1. People who went on vacation while this pandemic was ongoing and now are stuck everywhere all over the world especially those on cruises....they are all crying for Canada to come and rescue them and I can't turn on the news without at least one of these idiots whining about being abandoned....fucking morons... 2. All the info in the West about how we don't need and shouldn't be using face masks to avoid getting the virus...what a load of bullshit!...of course we should all be wearing masks to slow the spread...its common sense....Asian countries have been doing this for years whenever their was an issue, heck they need them for pollution in some areas.....the problem here in the West is we weren't prepared for this outbreak despite the fact that is was obviously coming our way since the middle of January and we don't have enough masks for the front line medical staff let alone everyone...so we have to listen to the outright lie that we don't need masks....
    • Yeah I didn't figure many would like it, I figured out who they remind me of, the back and forth between the chick and the dude reminds me of early Berlin
    • Lol, right on, pretty interesting shit, sounds like a lot of paranoia on the part of a certain member, when somebody gets to that point, I'd imagine he doesnt have people jumping to get in
    • I'm already looking at day trips, hikes, and adventures to do around me. My province is larger than a lot of y'all's countries, so there's much to explore. 
    • The beginning of the end of this will see a lot of walls between countries going up and a lot of distrust.  I agree, not much travelling likely to happen this year.  Best get used to holidaying close to home for a while. 
    • Yeah, from memory at least one was underage as well. recall at the time that the band made the announcemnet taht "there were some things that they just counldn't forgive and move on from" or something like that. Created an intrigue to want to know what went on, sad to find out and left a bitter taste.
    • Um, yeah, lol Soz Josh Todd if you read this. Funny thing is Josh Caddy bears the same name as an AFL football player over here. Remember struggling to get info on what happened years ago, because I kept on getting hits on the footballer.
    • An interesting point there, one kind of not thought about much here. We all know how you guys are with your rights to everything. We are the same to a large degree - mini America if you like. But we are also far more open to iur liberties being taken away. Right now, in my state, Victoria, we can only leave the house for 4 reasons - medical attention, food, exercise and work. People are being stopped on the roads and turned around and sent home. Gatherings of more than 2 (TWO) people are subject to $1600 fines. Likely that fines are coming for those out and about for no reason, and the army is being prepared to be called into action. And this shit is working. Our graph is looking pretty good in Australia. Like pretty much every other country, other than a few - Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong, etc, the public have been critical of how everything has been handled. There is no easy way through this, and every countries leaders are learning on the fly and some are making better decisions in better ways than others, but there are a lot of people around complaining that actionw asn't taken earlier. Love to see ecidence of them saying this at the time. Hindsight is great. Chances are that this will be the downfall of Trump, and many other leaders, because traditionally these types of challenging events don't fare well for them. but every government will learn from this. It will be a templaye for how to handle this type of thing again if it happens. In China they still wear masks etc because of bird flu and sars etc Doubt anyone will easily travel outside their countries again this year.
    • I wasn’t actually that blown away on first listen to this album , thought it sounded decent enough though so I have had a couple more listens today and I am really liking it now Think Awakening is my favourite followed closely by Bright  , oblivion and Gravity  really nice find !    
    • The biggest problem is that we are fighting an invisible enemy that isn't subject to laws, regulations, or other restrictions... you can't simply "outlaw coronavirus" and it's done. It's spread cannot be legislated either, as the spread is controlled by group behavior, not that of individuals, and with all the reports of parties, people ignoring social distancing, the herd is not operating in its own best interests. People are still traveling on nonessential business, going to religious services, social gatherings, etc. That's why (thus far) the greatest success has come from countries who have implemented draconian enforcement and loss of liberties... things that we would never stand for in this country. It could very well be that marshall law is the most effective way to minimize the impact of the virus versus the polite requests for self-quarantine and shelter-in-place that we have... but if a government (state or federal) were to ever institute total lockdown, all hell would break loose here. We're just not adjusted to that thought; it's antithetical to our way of life... and it will likely protract the situation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.