When was their peak?

Dark

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzy....The Ultimate Sin was his peak for sure

Is that commercially, creatively or both?

I've been listening to a LOT of Ozzy's stuff of late ... and it struck me that HE didn't actually write a lot of his solo material - Bob Daisley penned a fair few of his songs, Jake E Lee was responsible for a lot of 'Bark' and 'Sin', etc. ... so can we actually talk about Ozzy having a creative peak as a solo artist when a lot of his best-known songs weren't actually down to him? That aside, regardless of who wrote them, I'd say his best body of work can be found between 'Bark' and 'No Rest For The Wicked' ... as much as I love 'Blizzard', I don't think it's as consistent a release as some of his later albums.

Twisted Sister....Stay Hungry is the only release worth owning IMO

BOC....Fire of Unknown Origin is the best thing they ever did and is one of my top 3 releases of 1981

I love 'Fire ...', but I don't think they ever came as close to brilliance as they did with 'Imaginos' :)

I've been listening to a LOT of Ozzy's stuff of late ... and it struck me that HE didn't actually write a lot of his solo material - Bob Daisley penned a fair few of his songs, Jake E Lee was responsible for a lot of 'Bark' and 'Sin', etc. ... so can we actually talk about Ozzy having a creative peak as a solo artist when a lot of his best-known songs weren't actually down to him? That aside, regardless of who wrote them, I'd say his best body of work can be found between 'Bark' and 'No Rest For The Wicked' ... as much as I love 'Blizzard', I don't think it's as consistent a release as some of his later albums.

There has been a few articles about this in Classic Rock Magazine over the last couple of years and they don't paint a nice picture of what happened to various band members in Ozzy's solo ventures. I don't remember all the details but yeah not a lot of it was written by Ozzy. Mind you neither was much Sabbath stuff.

There has been a few articles about this in Classic Rock Magazine over the last couple of years and they don't paint a nice picture of what happened to various band members in Ozzy's solo ventures. I don't remember all the details but yeah not a lot of it was written by Ozzy. Mind you neither was much Sabbath stuff.

I think a lot of it is down to Mrs Osbourne ... who can forget her attempts to have Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake 'airbrushed' from Ozzy's history? Apparently, Jake E Lee had to sign a contract giving up his rights to any credit for the songs on 'Bark At The Moon', otherwise he'd be sacked ... and the mess surrounding Phil Soussan/'Shot In The Dark' is the reason that three of Ozzy's albums haven't been re-issued on CD for nigh on 20 years ...

Twisted Sister....Stay Hungry is the only release worth owning IMO

BOC....Fire of Unknown Origin is the best thing they ever did and is one of my top 3 releases of 1981

I love 'Fire ...', but I don't think they ever came as close to brilliance as they did with 'Imaginos' :)

It has been many years since I heard Imaginos and I realize that I do not have many of BOC's releases on cd....may have to correct that situation....

I think a lot of it is down to Mrs Osbourne ... who can forget her attempts to have Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake 'airbrushed' from Ozzy's history? Apparently, Jake E Lee had to sign a contract giving up his rights to any credit for the songs on 'Bark At The Moon', otherwise he'd be sacked ... and the mess surrounding Phil Soussan/'Shot In The Dark' is the reason that three of Ozzy's albums haven't been re-issued on CD for nigh on 20 years ...

Sharon Osbourne was mentioned a lot in those articles! She certainly seems to have a lot to answer for over the years. There was a fascinating article about Jake recently. It seems he spent years in the wilderness after Ozzy and Badlands :(