Beauvoir/Free - American Trash

Stefan

Ha...what are you guys? Closet rockers?! Posers??!! lol

I mean...I couldn't give two shits if some assmunch at a checkout looked at me weird because I'm buying this CD. In fact, if they did...and I saw it...I would definitely say something in return. I don't apologize for the music I like.....or anything that I like...for that matter.

Right?

Let's not get silly now. I'd buy a Pretty Boy Floyd CD and ask the person to announce it on the loud speakers across the store so I could soak it in.

But let's be honest. These guys look absolutely fucking ridiculous in all imagery for this album. So far the music sounds good and I'm really looking forward to the album. But let's not get all defensive and dodge the gigantic gay elephant in the room. Big fan of their music, but they look sooo horrid. If you're cool being part of the annual Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, that's cool. Go for it. I'm sure you'll see a few posters of this album cover there this year. But it is not for me... ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha...what are you guys? Closet rockers?! Posers??!! lol

I mean...I couldn't give two shits if some assmunch at a checkout looked at me weird because I'm buying this CD. In fact, if they did...and I saw it...I would definitely say something in return. I don't apologize for the music I like.....or anything that I like...for that matter.

Right?

Let's not get silly now. I'd buy a Pretty Boy Floyd CD and ask the person to announce it on the loud speakers across the store so I could soak it in.

But let's be honest. These guys look absolutely fucking ridiculous in all imagery for this album. So far the music sounds good and I'm really looking forward to the album. But let's not get all defensive and dodge the gigantic gay elephant in the room. Big fan of their music, but they look sooo horrid. If you're cool being part of the annual Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, that's cool. Go for it. I'm sure you'll see a few posters of this album cover there this year. But it is not for me... ;)

What he said....of course if I really want a cd and the only way to get it is at the checkout then fuck what anyone thinks....I just think those guys should have rethought their image for the cover...

• 3 weeks later...

Just received and listened to this album all the way through......and, it is a DAMN good, if not, excellent album! I really dug it on first listen.......

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, I heard this today and more less, basically thought it was crap. I don't think I got to the second verse in one of the first four songs. A small handful of songs on the second half of the album were okay, but only okay. I think it's a really weak album, and not even on par with most of the weaker COT albums.

If you haven't bought this yet, give the samples a real good listen. You may regret it if you take the plunge and end up with what I heard today. Thumbs down.

Really?

I must admit that I really like it and have listened loads over the last week or so.

Definitely one of the better albums i've heard this year - the second half in particular is great.

Think you'll be alone with that opinion mate.

Yeah, I honestly don't think I'll be alone. It's just not a very good album. I agree the second half is the better half, but even those better songs just did very little for me. I'll try it one more time, but doubt it'll be a stayer for me...

But that's only because people already dislike it too much to bother hearing it, or they haven't bothered to come to the pages yet to describe their disappointment if they have heard it. Trust me, there will be plenty of people out there who think this album is as poor as I do. ;)

This album is very good. Some of the comments I read and Andrew's review over at melodicrock.com rating it lower than a bunch of albums that aren't even close.....Nelson...**cough cough**......makes me wonder if people aren't giving it a chance.

I seriously enjoyed it.......and if people are not giving it a chance based on what others say, then they may very well be missing out.

Guest MalcolmTucker

I tend to distrust this reunions, has-been team ups, or what-you-may-call-it. They always end up spoiling the image you had of certain musicians.

Plus, I wouldn't trust an African-American in a pair of confederate flag trousers. There's something definitely wrong about it.

I've tried this one yesterday and landed a 71.2% score with three highlights, 'Just Breathe', 'It's Never Too Late', and well I think either 'Never Give Up' or 'Shotgun To The Heart'. I think the first four tracks are really at the edge of what we called 'fillers' and the last two didn't help too.

With this score, I think the album will veered off the top 50 range but not entirely horrible considering this year's predicted average for top 100 is perhaps only around 75-77%

Yeah, I honestly don't think I'll be alone.

.........you are so far ;-)

The worm is turning, friend. ;)

And sorry Jim, but you take the production out of the equation and I think the Nelson CD is a massive percentage better than this album, just on songs alone. Even with the poor production, I'd still listen to Neslon 100% of the time over this one. ;)

Yeah but can you lay a rating on an album after one spin? Ridiculous.

These songs really grow on you.

Im not saying its the best album of 2015, but that it is an enjoyable album which i can listen to the whole way through

These songs really grow on you.

No, no. Sorry mate, I just don't agree. When I was getting into this music, working out what I really liked, I admit I disliked Vain and Roxx Gang's debuts, which were horrid mistakes which I thankfully rectified very quick. But that was 15-20 years ago and it has never happened since. I know what I like now, and have for a long time.

One thing I know 100% for sure after going through my entire collection as I am at the moment, is that there is just no room for shit music. There is SO much good music to listen to and comparatively so little time to listen to it.

Yes, this CD may be "okay" in places, but honestly mate, it's just shit. It really is. The title track is probably the worst song I have heard in 2015. My child is learning to speak but I am 99% sure he could come up with a better melody and lyric than this shit. The album will probably just scrape in around the 50-60% region for me and is not an entire abomination. But what's the point in spending time listening to this over stuff which I rate 75%+? I can't tell you the point, because there is none.

I hate the concept of playing a terrible album until you like it. Honestly, to a degree, if you really wanted to, you could probably do that with a lot of albums. I saw in the Jettblack thread that Jarred had somehoe turned that piece of shit into something listenable too. Sorry guys, I just don't see the point. Once I'm done with all my ratings (in about 5 years), the culling to my listening habits is going to be remarkable, and shit like this will only be remembered by the low mark I gave it at some time in 2015. :)

Well, Im just glad that my listening habits are not so rigid that I would dismiss an album on first listen, otherwise I would have missed out on countless gems over the years.

Yeah, I only dismiss pure garbage on first listen, and this album will get a couple of spins so I can get what I believe is an accurate score, but like I said, I am 100% confident in my taste in music now and also 100% confident that if I don't like something at first I won't later. Don't get me wrong - there are good albums which I listen to initially and think they're very good, only to go on to absolutely love them - Issa's from this year being a perfect example. I really liked it straight away, basically consider it a modern day classic at the moment, and have spun it more than anything this year. And last year the You Me At Six album really blossomed into something I really loved from something initially solid.

But the foundation has to be there. The songs have to be good to start with. No amount of listening to a shit song can make it unshit. You would need to mute the stereo playing 'American Trash' and turn up a stereo playing the last Vega album for the title track on this one to ever, ever sound good.

I'm the same as Geoff. I'll know on the first spin whether it's good enough to be spun again. I generally pick out fav tracks on the first listen. It's very very rare i add a track in to my fav playlist i've heard more than once and like Geoff said there is too much out there to get through listening to shit or mediocre albums.

Yeah well obviously if an album is shit you arent going to listen to it again. Trust me ive heard plenty this year ;-)

The point im trying (in vain it seems) to make is that with this album there are a few really great songs and whilst listening through some of the 'weaker' tracks have grown on me. Capiche??

Anyway for the record i rated this on the way home and scored it 73%. No world beater for sure but also not terrible. The album actually suffers most from its running order. Shotgun and say KO should feature as tracks 2 and 3...that would give a more uptempo start.