Band-Maid (Japanese female fronted rock)

Captain Howdy

I agree....that was pretty damn cool!! Is this a real band?

First person I thought of was ol' Danny boy, when I saw this the other day. Good to know I wasn't wrong.

In all fairness though, this is a completely different animal from Babymetal. For one, the style is straight ahead hard rock, and for the other it appears the girls are actually performing on instruments, not just fronting the band.

Different level entirely.

Babymetal is interesting as a spectacle and for the backing band. This is more impressive musically IMO.

Good music..shame about the vocals being unintelligible...

+1

+ 2

Shame, it'd probably be a good song. :(

i prefer japanese bands singing in japanese. lyrical content was important when you were a teen and needed some sort of context to which you could relate.

besides, if you listen to enough j-rock, you can still make make out what they're saying even if you don't understand a word of it.

lyrical content was important when you were a teen and needed some sort of context to which you could relate.

Sorry mate, but that's a really stupid statement.

So now that I'm old I should only like instrumental and Japanese bands? Good theory! ;)

Hey now, that was pretty impressive. I'm digging everything except for the language.

If you watched the video for the first time with no sound, would you really think they would play this kind of music.

I don't think so.

Very misleading image.

The first release:

Hey now, that was pretty impressive. I'm digging everything except for the language.

that's a pretty big drawback tho eh??

Even if I had the best AOR album in recorded history, I wouldnt be able to listen to it if it was sung in a foreign language.........just pointless to me.

I listen to quite a few foreign language discs and besides French, I can't understand any of them..doesn't stop me enjoying the music one iota.

that's a pretty big drawback tho eh??

Even if I had the best AOR album in recorded history, I wouldnt be able to listen to it if it was sung in a foreign language.........just pointless to me.

100% agree. This is actually one issue that does really frustrate me. There is a very perfect example from a band called Tanner from the early 90's. In English, I'd probably mention the band in the same breath as a Treat or Bonfire. As it is sung in German, the band is just a blip on my memory somewhere back in time.

My question to all you creeps is this. Is there really that big a shortage of bands that sing in English, that you have to listen to something you don't even understand? What is the actual real appeal? Are you suggesting this band is playing music that is just so out of this world there is no band who sings in lyrics you understand that can compare to them?

Sorry dudes, I know to each their own and all that, but I just don't get this one. I know Dan says the pointless hum of a singer singing in foreign language is just another instrument, but surely it's a pretty damn annoying one? If you just want to hear good music, throw on a Satriani or Steve Vai CD - that way you don't have some annoying vocal you can't understand over the top of it, ruining otherwise good music.

Anyway, apologies again... it's a rant that's been a long time coming. Just one of those things I honestly don't understand. If there were no good bands that sung in English, okay, I'd get it. But yeah, there's just a couple - of thousand - of them.

• My Little Pony

Nobody here is suggesting these girls are a breath of fresh air. What I don't understand is why you don't understand that some of us aren't bothered by foreign languages. I guess it just comes down to the fact some of us believe variety is the slice of life.

Speaking of BABYMETAL...... this is for Dan:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/babymetal-signs-u-s-european-deals-for-release-of-debut-album/

BABYMETAL Signs U.S., European Deals For Release Of Debut Album

April 9, 2015 7 Comments

Japanese pop-metal group BABYMETAL has signed with RAL/Sony Music Entertainment for the U.S. release of the band's 2014 critically acclaimed self-titled debut album. The CD will feature two bonus tracks and be available digitally on Tuesday, May 12 and physically on Tuesday, June 16.

"Babymetal" will be released via earMUSIC in Germany, Sweden, Finland and Spain on May 29, in the United Kingdom, Belgium, Holland, Poland, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark on June 1, and in Italy on June 2

The European release will be available as the standard edition as well as a deluxe edition that includes a bonus DVD compiling six music videos from BABYMETAL.

Says Bill Richards, VP of Marketing at RAL/Sony Music Entertainment: "After witnessing the band's sold-out New York show, we knew we wanted to be involved. The core metal fans and metal press seem to get BABYMETAL, which shows how the language of music transcends boundaries. They hit all the entertainment buttons and are really fun to watch."

Since forming in 2010, BABYMETAL — the young trio of 17-year-old Su-Metal (vocal, dance) and 15-year-olds Yuimetal (scream, dance)and Moametal (scream, dance), backed by a four-piece band packing a heavy metal arsenal — has already achieved two major debut singles — "Ijime, Dame, Zetta!" and "Megistune", both of which ranked in the Top 10 Oricon Chart in Japan. Their first studio album, "Babymetal", also earned the #1 spot on Japan's album chart and Billboard's World Album Chart. The official live music video for their debut album's lead single, "Gimme Chocolate!!", has garnered over 24.5 million views on YouTube.

2014 saw BABYMETAL headline numerous sold-out shows from New York to London, including the 20,000-capacity Saitama Super Arena in Japan. They performed at major festivals in multiple countries such as the U.K.'s massive Sonisphere in front of 65,000 festival goers and supported Lady Gaga on her "Artrave: The Artpop Ball" tour.

The band will gear up for an equally busy 2015 when they kick off their "The Dark Knights Begin" world tour on May 9 in Mexico City. U.S. tour dates included a special one-off headlining show on May 14 at House Of Blues in Chicago, Illinois, followed by a festival appearance on May 16 at Rock On The Range in Columbus, Ohio.

"Babymetal" European release track listing:

CD

01. Babymetal Death
02. Megitsune
03. Gimme Chocolate!!
04. Line!
05. Akatsuki
06. Doki Doki * Morning
07. Onedari Daisakusen
08. Song 4
09. Uki Uki * Midnight
10. Catch Me If You Can
11. Rondo Of Nightmare
12. Head Bangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!
13. Ijime, Dame, Zettai

Bonus

14. Road Of Resistance (feat. Herman Li & Sam Totman of Dragonforce)
15. Gimme Chocolate!! (Live at O2 Academy Brixton, London)

DVD - official video clips

- Doki Doki * Morning
- Iine!
- Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!
- Ijime, Dame, Zettai
- Megitsune
- Gimme Chocolate!!

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/babymetal-signs-u-s-european-deals-for-release-of-debut-album/#WhWMYPlILrkT3x1T.99

I love foreign language discs, couldn't care less if I understand the lyrics or not. For me the vocals are another instrument to be enjoyed. That's how I look at it. It's not annoying. A crap singer is a crap singer as is a good or great one - the language they sing in is irrelevant.

In fact some languages sound amazing for some of the music I like eg. Spanish for power metal.

Nobody here is suggesting these girls are a breath of fresh air. What I don't understand is why you don't understand that some of us aren't bothered by foreign languages. I guess it just comes down to the fact some of us believe variety is the slice of life.

Variety may be the spice of life, but listening to inferior music over superior music is not.

I just wonder how much of this is a bit of "look how cool I am, I like lyrics I can't understand," as opposed to genuinely liking this. What I mean, is I wonder how many people who say how much they like this stuff pull out a Tanner, Ladies Room or Jacks N' Jokers CD every month to spin again. Or whichever recent ones there have been. To me it just seems like something cool to say at the time, but who's actually reaching back into their CD collection saying, "Hmmmm, can't wait to listen to some music I don't understand instead of this English singing band today!"

Fair enough if I'm wrong, but that's my take on it, to be honest.

Inferior...in your opinion!!

I lived in France for a while and got into loads of other European bands/artists whilst I was there Spanish, German, Italian etc. My limited understanding of many of the languages from these artists hasn't stopped me enjoying their music and I still collect quite a lot of them that are still releasing stuff. Why?? Because I like the music no other reason, so in answer to the question of looking forward to listening to music that I don't fully understand is YES!!, just like any other band I like that releases music. Sometimes I even go out and translate what the lyrics are, especially the French artists, as I am trying to improve my learning and I find this a good way to add to my comprehension

Oh!! All this 'How Cool do I look'; stuff being thrown at people for liking stuff that you don't, is becoming a bit of a regular feature on here recently, as I remember it was people liking Led Zeppelin and old bands being accused of the same thing a few weeks back.

See, in trying to disprove my point, you're actually proving my point. I have no issue in the world at all with a German guy listening to German-lyriced music, or a Japanese guy listening to Japanese lyrics. Or some Brit listening to French bands because he's interested in learning the language. Because you're basically agreeing that listening to something you don't understand is absolutely pointless, so you want to understand the language to understand what you're listening to. I have no issue with that.

What I can't fathom is someone like me, who has no desire to learn another language, listening to something in another language. It's just pointless. There are a lot of slightly modern female fronted hard rock bands, like this one, that I can listen to, and understand. Instead of listening to one that I can't understand.

And if my "how cool do I look" thing is regular here after two posts in a year, you should see how I live my life. That's the main reason I hate the human race and people. Because so many people are so concerned about how they look to everyone else, when the dumb fucks don't understand that no one else cares. What on earth do you think Facebook and Twitter prey on? And whatever other like-minded sites. It's an awful human race, and I'm just calling it like I see it.

Sure, you might listen to bands because you're learning a language, but I doubt that's a common theme amongst others. You're quick to jump, but it's not about other people liking something I don't. I've never questioned why people like rap or pop music that I don't. Or why people don't like surfing and taking photos. Because that's all shit I can understand. It's the stuff I can't understand I have a problem with. And to me, walking into a book shop and buying the Japanese version of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' instead of the English version of the book, which is alongside it, when you don't understand Japanese, is just stupid. And that's my point. I just don't get it, and it's a simple as that. Your reply has not made my understand any better.

Geoff... stop being a twat. :lol:

Not everyone listens to music the way YOU do. As I have said here many a time, lyrics and words mean far less TO ME than to others. I can listen to praise/worship Christian rock back to back with satanic Black metal and not skip a beat. For me it is about the sound and melody.

Heck, even with music sung in English, I pretty much ignore the lyrical content. It's all about the SOUND for me. The actual words being sung pass in one ear and out the other, only rarely registering in terms of comprehension. The only time it comes into play is if there is extreme cursing or filth and I have to be aware of the content not for my own sake but for those around me who might hear it, and the listening/working environment I am in at the time.

You don't agree with that way of listening, or even understand it, fine. But insulting people by claiming the only reason anyone would ever listen to music in a language they don't understand is for the "look at me factor" is being a dick.

You don't like foreign language music. We get it.

This is no different than those who put guitar work and solos far higher on the importance list than those who consider vocals or vocal harmonies to be of primary importance. It's an aesthetic choice. You value English lyrics and the ability to understand them far more than others do.

Neither way is right or wrong... it's just different ways of experiencing and enjoying music.

• My Little Pony

I listen to a lot of foreign language music, but most of it is Pop, Electronic, Folk, and Opera is rarely in English. I'm not exposed to much in the Rock genres, as this is the place I go for Rock music, and the foreign language department is lacking. I mean, nobody talks about Silly Fools, apart from their one English album.

I've never once considered myself "cool" for listening to it, and I'm more likely to be made fun of than praised.