Whitesnake - The Purple Album

PeterS

• My Little Pony

The minute you're doing tribute or covers, a clear sign that creativity is running out of their camp :D

Gonna pass this one but harmless to download some samples later

I have to disagree. Sometimes bands do these projects as much for themselves as they do for the fans. It's not to say they haven't got a good original album left in them, maybe this means a lot to DC. Much like the upcoming LA Guns blues thingy album...I despise the idea and so do a lot of fans but it has a lot of meaning for the band.

And as for this WS Purple album, as stated by Mullethead, if that video is anything to go by, these will be some great covers.

Yeah, don't forget Stryper put out a covers album and a re-recordings album before the magnificent No More Hell to Pay.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same with the song "Burn". Every band that has covered it is better than the original imo.

Agreed! WS play Burn better than Deep Purple. No doubt about that IMO.

Mr. Big, Demon Drive...all better.

Ah yeah I remember the Demon Drive version too....love that one.

Same with the song "Burn". Every band that has covered it is better than the original imo.

That whole album was amazing...love it!

The minute you're doing tribute or covers, a clear sign that creativity is running out of their camp :D

I have to disagree. Sometimes bands do these projects as much for themselves as they do for the fans. It's not to say they haven't got a good original album left in them, maybe this means a lot to DC. Much like the upcoming LA Guns blues thingy album...I despise the idea and so do a lot of fans but it has a lot of meaning for the band.

And as for this WS Purple album, as stated by Mullethead, if that video is anything to go by, these will be some great covers.

Well one or two examples are not enough to counter the fact that there're too many bands releasing cover albums just simply because they can't write good songs anymore. I think Stryper, and probably Tesla, still doin a pretty good job after covers but the rest of them are not. Take a look at these fun facts :

GNR cover of 'Spaghetti Incident' in 1993 ended their career and a new album is done after 15 years and you know how many hate it (although I didn't :D)

Trixter - Undercover in 1994 and they need 18 years to make a decent comeback, only to find some people think it's too average compared to their debut

Kevin Chalfant - Fly 2 Freedom in 2007 and unable to make anything until today

Aerosmith's 'Nine Lives' was out in 1997, they're unable to make anything except compilation until they have to release a blues cover of 'Honkin' in 2004 and after that it went downhill until today. The last album didn't help, probably 3-4 good songs and that's all, and count how many live and compilation they released ?

Bryan Adams' 'On A Day Like Today' in 1998 is quite okay but he's practically unable to make anything great anymore because the next 2 albums in 8 years were weak until cover album was made in 2014. So, a 16 years of career without a good album and will Adams do a spectacular comeback in the next 5 years? don't think so, he'll only be doin greatest hits concert and acoustic stuffs

Def Leppard's 'X' was out in 02 and after 4 years of silence, they released the cover album 'Yeah!' and release a poor album after that and nothing's new except compilation and live album

Poison last cover album is out in 2007 and after that they're unable to make anything except compilation

Enuff Z'nuff's last good album is Paraphernalia in 1999 and everything went downhill after that and their career was doomed with a poor cover of 'Covered In Gold' in 2014

Warrant released a cover album in 01 after the awful Belly To Belly 5 years before, only to find them in a weak comeback of 'Born Again' 4 years later and a good bounce back only happening 5 years later in 'Rockaholic' although it's quite far from their peak. Safe to say that Warrant is over too

and so on

That whole album was amazing...love it!

I only know the song at all because of Demon Drive. Only time I've heard it. ;)

Well one or two examples are not enough to counter the fact that there're too many bands releasing cover albums just simply because they can't write good songs anymore. I think Stryper, and probably Tesla, still doin a pretty good job after covers but the rest of them are not. Take a look at these fun facts :

GNR cover of 'Spaghetti Incident' in 1993 ended their career and a new album is done after 15 years and you know how many hate it (although I didn't :D)

Trixter - Undercover in 1994 and they need 18 years to make a decent comeback, only to find some people think it's too average compared to their debut

Aerosmith's 'Nine Lives' was out in 1997, they're unable to make anything except compilation until they have to release a blues cover of 'Honkin' in 2004 and after that it went downhill until today. The last album didn't help, probably 3-4 good songs and that's all, and count how many live and compilation they released ?

Bryan Adams' 'On A Day Like Today' in 1998 is quite okay but he's practically unable to make anything great anymore because the next 2 albums in 8 years were weak until cover album was made in 2014. So, a 16 years of career without a good album and will Adams do a spectacular comeback in the next 5 years? don't think so, he'll only be doin greatest hits concert and acoustic stuffs

Def Leppard's 'X' was out in 02 and after 4 years of silence, they released the cover album 'Yeah!' and release a poor album after that and nothing's new except compilation and live album

Poison last cover album is out in 2007 and after that they're unable to make anything except compilation

Enuff Z'nuff's last good album is Paraphernalia in 1999 and everything went downhill after that and their career was doomed with a poor cover of 'Covered In Gold' in 2014

Warrant released a cover album in 01 after the awful Belly To Belly 5 years before, only to find them in a weak comeback of 'Born Again' 4 years later and a good bounce back only happening 5 years later in 'Rockaholic' although it's quite far from their peak. Safe to say that Warrant is over too

and so on

Fair point. I'd agree completely.

and so on

Some of the cd's you mention I actually like. I will listen to the Incident cd over Illusions any day of the week.

Maybe he should have done a led zeppelin cover cd? That would have least bought him some attention and another war of words with Plant!

• 2 months later...

and so on

I would disagree with most of the "fan facts" as being the covers album being a "killer" or whatever its being deemed here.

Leppard for instance were already releasing poor music before the covers album (X being the villain here) and have had a history of huge gaps between releasing new albums.

EZN have been treading water for years with Donnie in/out/in/out, members dying and just general lack of direction. And their covers album was not a covers album, but a compilation of covers they released over the years.

Poison has not recorded anything in years because all Bret cares about is his solo shit.

Trixter was out of a big money contract and released the covers EP as a bit of fun, but the writing was already on the wall.

Warrants problems all revolved around Jani and his addictions, nothing to do with covers albums.

GNR .. all you need to say about that is Axl Rose .. nuff said.

Aerosmith, your facts are totally wrong. Just push to play came out in 2001, a full four years after Nine lives, so Nine lives was not the last album before Honkin, and they had already started the "compilation album" releases before Honkin.

What about other bands that have released covers and continued to releases studio albums?

Halestorm, LA Guns, Ozzy Osbourne, The Treatment etc etc

Going back to stuff like GNR as an example though, you might find that a whole bunch of bands from that era stopped recording around that time and released albums a decade or more later.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great interview with Coverdale defending his album in Classic Rock Magazine this month. He basically doesn't give a fuck what people are saying. He enjoyed making it and likes it.

There is a great interview with Coverdale defending his album in Classic Rock Magazine this month. He basically doesn't give a fuck what people are saying. He enjoyed making it and likes it.

If I was in his shoes I think I would feel the same too.

I really enjoyed listening to this yesterday and the versions presented here are done really well. Coverdale sounds ok too...BUT! I will always go back to the original versions of these songs where he sings them a lot better, as they still are the definitive versions over these albeit good versions. An occasional spin maybe in order, but no more.

Would have been an incredible second disk to a set of new material.

You can't argue with the songs or musicianship.

100% Backed. Just like Journey, Kiss and Foreigner did. Yep..can't fault the Song choice or musicianship on show at all.

Would have been an incredible second disk to a set of new material.

You can't argue with the songs or musicianship.

100% Backed. Just like Journey, Kiss and Foreigner did. Yep..can't fault the Song choice or musicianship on show at all.

Some or ALL new songs would have been nice for sure!

Here's some excerpts from David's interview in Classic Rock mag. Hmmmm, he sounds quite defensive to me. Agreed he can do whatever he wants, and he's probably got a faster car than us, and fucked more chicks....better get back to my bedroom and put on some Jorne Lande who can still sound like classic DC!

"Asked by U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine if he has seen the "extreme reaction" the new version of "Stormbringer" received after it was posted on YouTube, Coverdale responded: "Yeah, of course. But have you seen the orders we have for this record? I've never made music for the haters. If somebody develops a cure for cancer, there will still be haters. I've no space in my life for haters or negaters. They're not gonna buy my record. They won't buy a ticket. Why the fuck should I give a fuck? They're probably sitting at home, running their WiFi off their mother's account. I owe those people nothing. Such opinions mean nothing to me. I'm talking to you from a fucking very, very beautiful residential studio. I have a home overlooking Lake Tahoe. I'm sixty-three years old, booking a world tour, the tickets are flying out the door The odds are not in these people's favor. They are wasting their hate."

He continued: "I won't release something unless I believe in it. I've come to a time in my life, after a very successful career, where I will do exactly what I like. Online the other day some clown wrote: 'Coverdale's well must have run dry.' Well, what you have done in your life? Over forty years I've sold more than a hundred million records and written countless fucking rock 'n' roll anthems. How fucking dare you criticize me, dude? Fuck off to your bedroom."

Yeah but don't get too cocky, I mean, there's no benefit to that. Right from the start when Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones are starting their gig and until today, there'll always be haters so why bother to release such comment only to invite more haters to comment ? :D