KarpetRydOFunk

1983 - Best Albums

Each to their own I say. Sure I think it's stoopid that Geoff doesn't get the stuff from 84 and older, and that he doesn't like non-english vox and so on but in the end we're all different.

I for one enjoy his little early 80s lists, a nice quick read coz I sure as shit ain't gonna be reading the modern rock ones!

Haha mate, I think you're in the vast minority with the English vocals thing. I'd say 98% of overall music listeners would probably be with me on that one. They don't call it pointless for nothing. ;)

Anyway, thanks and glad you enjoyed the lists. They are what they are - nothing more, nothing less. I'm definitely not selling tickets to them as the be all and end all summary of those pre-1984 years.

And don't worry, there will be no modern rock lists. Lucky for you, the modern rock titles will just be included in and amidst my best of lists from 2000 onwards, so you'll have the pleasure of trying to weed out the modern stuff. ;) When I ever get to that point...

Each to their own I say. Sure I think it's stoopid that Geoff doesn't get the stuff from 84 and older, and that he doesn't like non-english vox and so on but in the end we're all different.

I for one enjoy his little early 80s lists, a nice quick read coz I sure as shit ain't gonna be reading the modern rock ones!

Haha mate, I think you're in the vast minority with the English vocals thing. I'd say 98% of overall music listeners would probably be with me on that one. They don't call it pointless for nothing. ;)

Anyway, thanks and glad you enjoyed the lists. They are what they are - nothing more, nothing less. I'm definitely not selling tickets to them as the be all and end all summary of those pre-1984 years.

And don't worry, there will be no modern rock lists. Lucky for you, the modern rock titles will just be included in and amidst my best of lists from 2000 onwards, so you'll have the pleasure of trying to weed out the modern stuff. ;) When I ever get to that point...

I'm one of the idiots who agrees with Geoff when it comes to 'non-english vox' :lol: ... as for pre-1984 music, as much as I loved a lot of that music when it came out....I rarely listen to any of it today so I can understand Geoff not being interested in it...

I'm one of the idiots who agrees with Geoff when it comes to 'non-english vox' :lol: ... as for pre-1984 music, as much as I loved a lot of that music when it came out....I rarely listen to any of it today so I can understand Geoff not being interested in it...

I rarely listen to anything outside of 2016 but that's not the point is it.

There is a wealth of classic albums prior to 1984.............many with very excellent production............but to each their own.

As for non-English vox - yeah count me out - no point imo.

lol, you take the time rate shite like Chameleon, but not classic AOR like Sir Michael or Wildlife (I prefer this to most FM)??

Get a grip man.

Def Lepp at 86% as well?? Mmmm. I like the album but the best song by a mile is Photograph and that's prob a 9/10??

Like I said, mate, can only rate what I have. I don't own the Wildlife album though I would accept it's donation - MP3 is fine. And who on earth is Sir Michael? Jackson?

And FYI, 'Too late for love,' 'Foolin' and 'Comin' under fire' (as well as 'Photograph') are all easily over 9/10... imo, of course.

haha, Thriller is a good album after all......Bolton of course. Both his early albums plus The Hunger are excellent albums in my book.

Wildlife is an interesting album - the production is terrible (you'd hate it lol) - but I prefer the songs to most FM actually. I saw them live in this guise as well - brilliant they were - raw energy back in the day.

I have absolutely no idea how to get MP3s across to anyone :(

Mate, seriously? TLFR defined pop metal. 10/10 hymn. Easily wipes your narrow early 80s' lists. :whistle:

Well, at least you can be secure if it happens to listen to it in a car on an empty highway at 4 am.

Bolton, buddy? Kudos to him for writing the lyrics to my favorite Shy song (mighty verses, btw) which is also in the list of my 20 all time favorite songs.

I rarely listen to anything outside of 2016 but that's not the point is it.

There is a wealth of classic albums prior to 1984.............many with very excellent production............but to each their own.

As for non-English vox - yeah count me out - no point imo.

My point is that the pre-1984 releases are considerably different (dated) compared to everything released in this century....that doesn't mean there are not excellent releases from that time but to most people who did not grow up listening to them, they are not all that interesting today....

But i do wonder this - what % ppn of true fans of this genre didnt grow up listening to those albums?

Geoff might be an exception to this but he is a relative youngster - most fans of this genre are 45 plus.

So....

Who exactly are u talking about?

But i do wonder this - what % ppn of true fans of this genre didnt grow up listening to those albums?

Geoff might be an exception to this but he is a relative youngster - most fans of this genre are 45 plus.

Yeah, see I started with 60's and 70's Rock, then moved into the 80's, so it makes sense that I have a greater appreciation for early 80's Hard Rock.

So....

I was referring to Geoff and all others who do not care for pre-1984 music....

So....

I was referring to Geoff and all others who do not care for pre-1984 music....

You completely missed my point but not to worry........

1982 & 1983 is when I believe the hard rock & metal scenes really started taking shape. I recall everything from stellar AOR, the peak of the NWBHM, a new era of glam rock and the start of thrash metal. When I’ve listened to new releases since then I think about which band that artist sounds like and how do they compare to these early classics. Here are my top 50 favorite albums from 1983:

1. Def Leppard – Pyromania
  2. Motley Crue – Shout at the Devil
  3. Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
  4. Van Halen – 1984
  5. Dio – Holy Diver
  6. Waysted – Vices
  7. Alcatrazz – No Parole from Rock ‘N Roll
  8. Thin Lizzy – Thunder & Lightning
  9. Michael Schenker Group – Built to Destroy
  10. Marillion – Script for a Jester’s Tear
  11. Krokus – Headhunter
  12. Journey – Frontiers
  13. Fastway – S/T
  14. Rick Springfield – Living in Oz
  15. Riot – Born in America
  16. Kiss – Lick It Up
  17. Night Ranger – Midnight Madness
  18. Billy Idol – Rebel Yell
  19. Accept – Balls to the Wall
  20. Y & T – Meanstreak
  21. Saxon – Power and the Glory
  22. Axe – Nemesis
  23. Ozzy Osbourne – Bark at the Moon
  24. Heavy Pettin’ – Lettin Loose
  25. Savatage – Sirens
  26. ZZ Top – Eliminator
  27. AC/DC – Flick of the Switch
  28. Preview – S/T
  29. Quiet Riot – Metal Health
  30. Arc Angel – Arcangel
  31. Raven – All for One
  32. Aldo Nova - Subject
  33. Twisted Sister – You Can’t Stop Rock & Roll
  34. Michael Bolton – S/T
  35. Europe – S/T
  36. Blackfoot – Siogo
  37. Hanoi Rocks – Back to Mystery City
  38. Spys - Behind Enemy Lines
  39. Grim Reaper – See You in Hell
  40. Highway Chile – Storybrook Heroes
  41. Metallica – Kill ‘Em All
  42. Vandenberg – Heading for a Storm
  43. Zebra - S/T
  44. Helix – No Rest For The Wicked
  45. Ratt – S/T
  46. Stan Bush - S/T
  47. 38 Special – Tour De Force
  48. Le Mans – On the Streets
  49. Verity – Interrupted Journey
  50. Queensryche – S/T

Honorable mentions:

The Police – Synchronicity

U2 – War

David Bowie – Let’s Dance

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble – Texas Flood

Violent Femmes – S/T

Nice list and good to see some love for Script. Its such a slice of genius and prob my fav from that year

Cool list.

Almost cried when I read the almighty Arcangel (probably my favorite there :wub: ) , but where's Le Roux? :crying:

You are correct to question the absence of Le Roux - So Fired Up from my list of favorites of '83. That album was really good, especially Fergie's vocals, and could easily swap places with any of the titles I ranked between #'s 45 - 50. Lifeline, Carrie's Gone, Turning Point and the title track can each be found in many of my playlists.

Lifeline, Carrie's Gone, Turning Point and the title track can each be found in many of my playlists.

Operator, gotta get a Line On Love :wub: