1990 - best albums

Glen

Another great year. Full verdict (although bound to have forgotten some); each list starting with the best album.

Some out and out classics, including these 10/10 masterpieces, as close to perfection as it gets:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Warrior Soul - Last Decade Dead Century

Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss

Trouble - Trouble

These are pretty close and would be 9-9.5/10:

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Love/Hate - Black Out in the Red Room

Anthrax - Persistence Of Time

Apocrypha - Area 54

Ratt - Detonator

Thunder - Backstreet Symphony

Death - Spiritual Healing

Yngwie Malmsteen - Eclipse

Obituary - Cause of Death

Pretty Maids - Jump The Gun

And these are worth an honorary mention - some great tracks, but some filler too:

Deicide - Deicide

Cinderella - Heartbreak Station

Damn Yankees - Damn Yankees

Bad Company - Holy Water

Queensryche - Empire

Some very good albums in that list, BGF ... some odd choices, too ... Bad Company? I wouldn't have thought their particular 'ouevre' was your thing at all!

Any album with a song as good as "Stranger Stranger" deserves recognition. Just a wonderful, wonderful tune!

Same for Empire, really - pretty poor album overall, but with two fantastic songs (the title track and "Jet City Woman") that elevate it above the majority.

You're an odd cove ... an album with (in my view) only one or two great songs wouldn't even be considered as a favourite for a particular year ... 'Empire' is, indeed, an utterly essential tune, but there are only two other songs on there that I'd still give the time of day to - 'Another Rainy Night' and 'Anybody Listening?' The rest of the songs on there are the main reason I stopped listening to Queensryche ... it still baffles me that the band that created 'Operation: Mindcrime' then went on to produce a stinker like this!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great year. Full verdict (although bound to have forgotten some); each list starting with the best album.

Some out and out classics, including these 10/10 masterpieces, as close to perfection as it gets:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Trouble - Trouble

Apocrypha - Area 54

Ratt - Detonator

And these are worth an honorary mention - some great tracks, but some filler too:

Deicide - Deicide

Bad Company - Holy Water

Queensryche - Empire

Some very good albums in that list, BGF ... some odd choices, too ... Bad Company? I wouldn't have thought their particular 'ouevre' was your thing at all!

Any album with a song as good as "Stranger Stranger" deserves recognition. Just a wonderful, wonderful tune!

Same for Empire, really - pretty poor album overall, but with two fantastic songs (the title track and "Jet City Woman") that elevate it above the majority.

Is that Bad Company with Brian Howe?

What? Then why would it even get a mention? Was it that bad of a year for you?

No. I have clearly stated that it was a good year. If an album has an absolute classic song on it and the rest is dire, it's worth a mention in my opinion. It's not about one good song and loads of filler, it's one great song and some filler. For example, I think Britny Fox's debut is really average and has only one song I like. However, that song ("Girlschool") is such a marvellous, fantastic, awesome song that I'm very pleased that the album exists.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Trouble - Trouble

Apocrypha - Area 54

Ratt - Detonator

Deicide - Deicide

Bad Company - Holy Water

Queensryche - Empire

You're an odd cove ... an album with (in my view) only one or two great songs wouldn't even be considered as a favourite for a particular year ... 'Empire' is, indeed, an utterly essential tune, but there are only two other songs on there that I'd still give the time of day to - 'Another Rainy Night' and 'Anybody Listening?' The rest of the songs on there are the main reason I stopped listening to Queensryche ... it still baffles me that the band that created 'Operation: Mindcrime' then went on to produce a stinker like this!

Best three songs are 'Best I can,' 'Another rainy night' and, oh, only the best song on the whole fucking album!!! - 'Hand On Heart.'

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Trouble - Trouble

Apocrypha - Area 54

Ratt - Detonator

Deicide - Deicide

Bad Company - Holy Water

Queensryche - Empire

Best three songs are 'Best I can,' 'Another rainy night' and, oh, only the best song on the whole fucking album!!! - 'Hand On Heart.'

Love the album period! Not every song is great, but there is NOT a bad song on it.

BTW - didn't say it was a favourite, just that it deserves an honorary mention - due to the standouts, which I would maintain are "Empire" and "Jet City Woman".

(I HATE "Another Rainy Night"!!! :yuck: )

BTW - didn't say it was a favourite, just that it deserves an honorary mention - due to the standouts, which I would maintain are "Empire" and "Jet City Woman".

"Hate" is a strong word!

You can maintain all you like, 'Jet City Woman' is cack.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Trouble - Trouble

Apocrypha - Area 54

Ratt - Detonator

Deicide - Deicide

Bad Company - Holy Water

Queensryche - Empire

Said it before, I'll no doubt say it again ... one man's meat, etc. ;)

• 1 month later...

43 rated albums so far, still undecided yet but I probably will upgrade HEAVEN'S EDGE to 100% if nothing top that for the 1990's winner

HEAVEN'S EDGE s/t Hard Rock Sony Music 94.0%
COLD SWEAT Break Out Hard Rock MCA 93.8%
RATT Detonator Hard Rock East West 92.1%
JUDAS PRIEST Painkiller Heavy Metal Sony Music 91.8%
EYES s/t Hard Rock Curb 91.5%
ROXXI Drive It To Ya Hard Sleaze / Hard Rock Rock Hard 91.0%
WARRANT Cherry Pie Sleaze / Hard Rock Sony Music 90.9%
FIREHOUSE s/t Melodic Rock Epic 89.6%
ZINATRA The Great Escape Melodic Rock Snakebite Records 89.5%
POISON Flesh & Blood Sleaze / Hard Rock Sony Music 89.3%

MEGADETH Rust In Peace Thrash Metal EMI 89.3%
LAOS We Want It Hard Rock Teldec 88.0%
PRETTY MAIDS Jump The Gun Heavy Metal Sony Music 87.5%
DOMINOE The Key Melodic Rock Virgin 86.6%
CINDERELLA Heartbreak Station Southern / Hard Rock Mercury 86.4%
NELSON After The Rain Melodic Rock Geffen 85.7%
ANNIHILATOR Never, Neverland Thrash Metal Roadrunner 85.7%
YNGWIE MALMSTEEN Eclipse Neoclassical Polydor 85.3%
JAGGED EDGE Fuel For Your Soul Melodic Rock Polydor 85.3%
DAMN YANKEES s/t Hard Rock Warner Bros 85.1%

BLUE TEARS s/t Melodic Rock MCA 84.8%
SLAUGHTER Stick It To Ya Hard Rock EMI 84.1%
SLEEZE BEEZ Screwed Blued And Tattooed Hard Rock Atlantic 84.0%
ROKO s/t Melodic Rock Polydor 84.0%
WINGER In The Heart of The Young Melodic Rock East West 83.9%
SPREAD EAGLE s/t Sleaze / Hard Rock MCA 82.3%
CHEAP TRICK Busted AOR Epic 82.1%
AXXIS II Hard Rock / Heavy Metal Electrola 81.5%
VICTORY Temples of Gold Hard Rock Metronome 81.1%
HURRICANE Slave To The Thrill Hard Rock EMI 80.9%

JOHNNY CRASH Neighbourhood Threat Hard Rock Epic 80.3%
CHILD'S PLAY Rat Race Hard Rock Chrysalis 80.3%
ELECTRIC ANGELS s/t Hard Rock Atlantic 80.0%
ALIEN Shiftin' Gear AOR Virgin 78.3%
CRY WOLF Crunch Hard Rock IRS 77.8%
SUBWAY Dangerous Games Hard Rock Pink Seven Music 77.3%
FORBIDDEN Twisted Into Form Thrash Metal Sony Music 76.2%
JIMMY BARNES Two Fires AOR Mushroom Records 76.2%
GARY MOORE Still Got The Blues Blues Rock Virgin 75.1%
BANG GANG, THE Love Sells Sleaze / Hard Rock Sinclair Records 73.7%

SONS OF ANGELS s/t Hard Rock Atlantic 73.4%
THUNDER Backstreet Symphony Blues / Hard Rock Geffen 73.2%
KILL FOR THRILLS Dynamite From Nightmareland Sleaze / Hard Rock MCA 72.6%

43 rated albums so far, still undecided yet but I probably will upgrade HEAVEN'S EDGE to 100% if nothing top that for the 1990's winner

HEAVEN'S EDGE s/t Hard Rock Sony Music 94.0%

I can't think of any other album with 2 DIVINE tracks which isn't in the list of my top albums of any year! Jaysus!

Btw, I have listed Bad Reputation in the top of 7 other categories of mine!

That's a cool list and it's hard to argue too many specifics in a year of so many incredibly strong releases, but there is a massive sore thumb that stands out before I need to even look 2 places down the list. Cold Sweat a 94%??? Really? I gave it a 76% despite wanting to give it more because the dude is arguably my favourite vocalist of the whole era (as under-utlised as he was) and 'Take this heart of mine' is literally one of my all-time favourite songs, ever.

But mate, did you hear the rest of the album? I find 'Four on the floor,' 'Killing floor,' and 'I just wanna make love to you' to be very weak songs, but you're saying these are worthy of 9 or more? I'm really surprised at that score. The CD definitely has it's charms, but that rating seems incredible to me.

Cool read, though, and it was a delicious year.

That's a cool list and it's hard to argue too many specifics in a year of so many incredibly strong releases, but there is a massive sore thumb that stands out before I need to even look 2 places down the list. Cold Sweat a 94%??? Really? I gave it a 76% despite wanting to give it more because the dude is arguably my favourite vocalist of the whole era (as under-utlised as he was) and 'Take this heart of mine' is literally one of my all-time favourite songs, ever.

But mate, did you hear the rest of the album? I find 'Four on the floor,' 'Killing floor,' and 'I just wanna make love to you' to be very weak songs, but you're saying these are worthy of 9 or more? I'm really surprised at that score. The CD definitely has it's charms, but that rating seems incredible to me.

Cool read, though, and it was a delicious year.

'Killing Floor' was a 7 and I gave 'I Just Wanna Make Love To You' a 7.5, those two are indeed the weakest, but I love 'Four on The Floor', a solid 8.5 for that. Three strong tracks here are 'Waiting In Vain', 'Take This Heart of Mine', and 'Let's Make Love Tonight', and the rest are quite solid too. The great production and killer musicianship as well as replay value for me push this album even higher, and overall it's a justified score.

I just think your 76% might be too low mate, I wonder beside Bang Gang and Blue Tears, what else in this year that you rated above 85% so far?

Ask and you shall receive:

The list so far, above 85% and up to K:

1. Blue Tears - Blue Tears - 96
2. Fate - Scratch N' Sniff - 89
3. Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes - 88
4. Gypsy Rose - Prey - 88
5. Eyes - Eyes - 87
6. Heart - Brigade - 87
7. Alias - Alias - 87
8. Boystown - Angels With Dirty Faces - 87
9. Bang Gang - Love Sells - 86
10. Heavens Edge - Heavens Edge - 86
11. Holy Soldier - Holy Soldier - 86
12. Hericane Alice - Tear The House Down - 85
13. Warrant - Cherry Pie - 85

Another shout for 'Empire' and 'Jet City Woman' being the best tracks,

Absolutely love the Bang Gang album. Both of theirs are fantastic.

In the light of July being such a dry month I've loaded up Dominoe, Boystown and Holy Soldier. Never heard any of them.

5. Eyes - Eyes - 87
6. Heart - Brigade - 87
7. Alias - Alias - 87

Bad Reputation 80% Come Play The Game 6%

5. Eyes - Eyes - 87
6. Heart - Brigade - 87
7. Alias - Alias - 87

Bad Reputation 80% Come Play The Game 6%

'Come Play The Game' = 100%. Utterly flawless song. And for the record, yes, I gave 'Bad Reputation' a 10/10 too. Both flawless, but I prefer 'Come play the game.'

And sorry Nightrain, forgot to add it to my post, but I find it wild that you rate an album with "three strong tracks... and the rest are quite solid too" a 94%? Surely an album worthy of 94% needs at least 7-8 very strong tracks to even be considered for a 90% plus score. Sorry to be so anal about it... just really intrigued by that score.

This is the breakdown for COLD SWEAT

1. Four on the Floor (4:11) - 8.5
2. Cryin' Shame (4:39) - 8.25
3. Lovestruck (3:06) - 8
4. Waiting in Vain (4:17) - 10
5. Take this Heart of Mine (3:54) - 10
6. Killing Floor (4:00) - 7
7. Riviera/Long Way Down (6:02) - 8
8. Let's Make Love Tonight (4:07) - 9.5
8. Fistful of Money (3:59) - 8
9. Jump the Gun (3:41) - 9
10. I Just Want to Make Love to You (6:29) cover - 7.5

prods 9
skill 10
replay 9

total = 12175 / 13 = 93.8%

If you knock out the three factors (prods/skill/replay) and only count the song, I think it's around 93%

just took a quick look at the main page and the consensus of 16 people is apparently at 87%, so probably a bit closer to my score than yours, so I wonder what other songs that really don't work out for you and I like to see your breakdown score too

and for HEAVEN'S EDGE

1. Intro (1:27) - not rated
2. Play Dirty (4:31) - 9.5
3. Skin to Skin (3:22) - 9.25
4. Find Another Way (5:06) - 10
5. Up Against the Wall (3:32) - 9.5
6. Hold On to Tonight (6:15) - 10
7. Can't Catch Me (4:31) - 9
8. Bad Reputation (6:42) - 9.5
9. Daddy's Little Girl (4:33) - 8.75
10. Is That All You Want? (5:54) - 8
11. Come Play the Game (4:04) - 10
12. Don't Stop, Don't Go (4:49) - 9.25

prods 9.5
skill 10
replay 9.25

total = 13150 / 14 = 94%

My Top 30 best of 1990 (in alphabetical order)

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker

Black Sabbath - Tyr

Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze Of Glory (Young Guns II Soundtrack)

Burning Tree - Burning Tree

Cold Sweat - Break Out

Company Of Wolves - Company Of Wolves

Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes

Fields Of The Nephilim - Elizium

Heaven's Edge - Heaven's Edge

Hurricane - Slave To The Thrill

Jagged Edge - Fuel For Your Soul

King's X - Faith Hope Love

Little Caesar - Little Caesar

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

The Mission - Carved In Sand / Grains Of Sand

New Model Army - Impurity

Queensryche - Empire

Quireboys - A Bit Of What You Fancy

Riverdogs - Riverdogs

Scorpions - Crazy World

Slaughter - Stick It To Ya

Sleeze Beez - Screwed Blued And Tattooed

Thunder - Back Street Symphony

Vicious Rumors - Vicious Rumors

Y & T - Ten

Like 1989, for me this was another great year with too many to choose from.

Highlights include albums from new bands such as Thunder, Black Crowes, Cold Sweat, Slaughter, Little Caesar, Lynch Mob, Burning Tree and Riverdogs. Also some great albums from established favourites like Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Y&T. Slayer, Queensryche and Megadeth.

However, this year also saw my first disappointment from Iron Maiden with "No Prayer For The Dying".

Never heard of this album :

can you elaborate on these, mate ? what kind of style they're bringing and some cool songs to check out on youtube ?

Never heard of this album :

can you elaborate on these, mate ? what kind of style they're bringing and some cool songs to check out on youtube ?

Burning Tree were an American blues-rock trio, this was their only album. Try sampling "Mistreated Lover" or "Wigs Blues And High Heeled Shoes".
New Model Army were an alternative/post-punk band from the UK. Maybe try "Whirlwind" on Youtube from this album.
Both The Mission and Fields Of The Nephilim are UK goth bands. The Mission were much more upbeat and melodic, whilst The Nephilim went more for atmosphere and effect (e.g. occult influences) and the singer has a deeper gruff voice.
Try looking for these on YouTube:
The Mission:
Butterfly On A Wheel, Into The Blue, Bird Of Passage
Fields Of The Nephilim:
For Her Light was the first single off that album, but probably best to try the album as a whole experience on Youtube as it wasn't really made with hit singles or catchy tunes in mind (although surprisingly the band often made it into the UK Top 40 charts, which is something you wouldn't get nowadays).

@ Nightrain:

Cold Sweat - Break Out;

1. Four on the Floor - 6.25
2. Cryin' Shame - 8.25
3. Lovestruck - 7.5
4. Waiting in Vain - 8.25
5. Take This Heart of Mine - 10
6. Killing Floor - 6.25
7. Riviera/Long Way Down - 7.5
8. Let's Make Love Tonight - 8
9. Fistful of Money - 8.25
10. Jump the Gun - 7.25
11. I Just Want to Make Love To You - 6
Total - 76%
As for my rating on this, I think it is very fair. Your site average of 87% is still way too extravagant for me. I want to make special note of 'Let's make love tonight' as those verses are as good as 'Take this heart of mine' and they're my favourite vocals on the album, but the reason for the lower score on that song is a pointless, banal chorus.
Heaven's Edge - s/t;
01. Intro [1:25] -
02. Play dirty [4:34] - 9
03. Skin to skin [3:23] - 8.25
04. Find another way [5:07] - 9.5
05. Up against the wall [3:32] - 7.5
06. Hold on tonight [6:16] - 9.25
07. Can't catch me [4:31] - 7
08. Bad reputation [6:43] - 10
09. Daddy's little girl [4:33] - 8
10. Is that all you want? [5:54] -
11. Come play the game [4:04] - 10
12. Don't stop, don't go [4:51] - 7
Total - 86%
fyi, didn't rate 'Is that all you want' as I don't really rate live songs and if I did rate that one it would have been a 4 or 5 which would have unfairly brought the total down. Awful, pointless song.

@ Geoff

I love that Cold Sweat album and would rate it around 9/10, compared to something like 7.5/10 for Heaven's Edge.

But it depends on what style the listener prefers.

Taking one example from each album, Cold Sweat's "Four On The Floor" is a real driving hard rock song, which I think has a lot more thought and development put into the chorus compared Heaven's Edge's "Skin To Skin", which is more basic and just repeats the same words and riff several times. So I would probably have at least reversed the ratings that you gave those songs.