1989 - best albums

Glen

Nope disagree completely. Put it on 2 days ago in the car, blasted it as loud as I could and pretended I had a mane of hair flapping out the window like the old days.... when I had long hair..... when I had hair.... Hmm anyway, shotgun messiah s/t made me forget about all that. Love it!

Yep, me too. That's a disc that still gets semi-regular plays from me and I know it very well. I think it's about the only CD on the planet where I don't even skip the instrumental too, lol. It's that good. If you look at it technically and fester on lead vocals or perfect songs or not, you'll miss the point. For me it's just absolutely killer as it is. And yeah, up there in my probably top 5 albums for guitarwork.

new ratings today :

#67 - RICHARD MARX - Repeat Offender - 81.7%

#75 - KING DIAMOND - Conspiracy - 80.6%

#79 - BEAU NASTY - Dirty But Well Dressed - 79.8%

#84 - TINDRUM - How Bout This - 78.8%

#90 - FASTER PUSSYCAT - Wake Me When It's Over - 77%

#102 - MORDRED - Fool's Game - 74.2%

#108 - TANGIER - Four Winds - 72.3%

#116 - ARMAGEDDON - The Money Mask - 66.9%

new ratings today :

#43 - RAGE N ROX - s/t - 85.5%

#44 - MICHAEL BOLTON - Soul Provider - 85.5%

#58 - W.A.S.P - The Headless Children - 83.7%

#73 - PINK CREAM 69 - s/t - 81.4%

#74 - STORMWITCH - Eye of The Storm - 81.3%

#78 - HEIST - High Heel Heaven - 80.7%

#83 - MARILLION - Seasons End - 80.2%

#113 - LEE AARON - Bodyrock - 72.8%

#121 - DISTANCE - Under The One Sky - 70.1%

#124 - BLIND GUARDIAN - Follow The Blind - 67.9%

128 albums rated so far

new ratings today :

#43 - RAGE N ROX - s/t - 85.5%

#44 - MICHAEL BOLTON - Soul Provider - 85.5%

#58 - W.A.S.P - The Headless Children - 83.7%

#73 - PINK CREAM 69 - s/t - 81.4%

#74 - STORMWITCH - Eye of The Storm - 81.3%

#78 - HEIST - High Heel Heaven - 80.7%

#83 - MARILLION - Seasons End - 80.2%

#113 - LEE AARON - Bodyrock - 72.8%

#121 - DISTANCE - Under The One Sky - 70.1%

#124 - BLIND GUARDIAN - Follow The Blind - 67.9%

128 albums rated so far

im up to about 50.

The wasp and pc69 are too low :)

You reckon? I think it's a high score for WASP, which is a good disc, but I can't see it getting anywhere near that score for me. And on paper, it looks like a low score for PC69 because there are so many good songs on that CD. But there's a few weak ones too, and when you consider how horrific Deris' vocals are on that CD, as well as the paper-thin production... I actually think that score's about spot on, if not a little high, lol. There are a lot of good songs, though, so I'll call it spot on.

Ive never heard the WASP, so I will not be rating that.........is it worth listening to??

All WASP albums up to and including 'The Crimson Idol' are definitely worth hearing. None will blow your mind, but they're all cool. After 'The Crimson Idol,' not worth the bother.

Ive never heard the WASP, so I will not be rating that.........is it worth listening to??

All WASP albums up to and including 'The Crimson Idol' are definitely worth hearing. None will blow your mind, but they're all cool. After 'The Crimson Idol,' not worth the bother.

Like Geoff said, W.A.S.P is somewhat an underrated band and not sure why not many people listen to them. Every albums has lots of killer stuffs although there are few patchy fillers. After 'Crimson Idol', I think you can still try 'Still Not Black Enough', it's good enough for some spins and the ballads are beautiful too.

After that, it went downhill and I think "Babylon' came up strong. I kinda forgot, haven't spin that again

With Wasp you need to check out the debut album if you're a hard rock fan. If you like metal then the Headless Children is a great blend of hard rock and metal. The Crimson Idol is a bit long and serious and way too many ballads but still pretty good but I don't think it's a good introduction to the band unless you're a patient listener.

As nightrain says Still Not Black Enough is worth a go. It's like a more accessible version of Crimson idol, shorter songs, less ballads, no story but same vibe.

If you like drums Frankie Banali owns on Headless, Crimson and Black Enough.

Chris Holmes, Blackie and Johnny Rod tear up the guitars and bass on Headless also.

Some easy for the moment

DBC- Universe 100%

Watchtower- Control and Resistance 100%

Blind Guardian- Follow the Blind 95%

Sabbat- Dreamweaver 90%

Dream Theater When Dream and Day Unite 90%

Fifth Angel- Time Will Tell 100%

Savatage- Gutter Ballet 80%

Jack Starr's Burning Starr -S/t 85%

new ratings added :

#61 - WHITECROSS - Triumphant Return - 83.5%
#74 - TORA TORA - Surprise Attack - 81.5%
#90 - LOU GRAMM - Long Hard Look - 79.4%
#91 - ERIC CLAPTON - Journeyman - 79.3%
#94 - DREAM THEATER - When Dream and Day Unite - 78.8%
#99 - ANNIHILATOR - Alice In Hell - 77.9%
#100 - NEAL SCHON - Late Night - 77.7%
#104 - PHANTOM BLUE - s/t - 77%
#105 - CRIMSON GLORY - Trascendence - 76.9%
#116 - METAL CHURCH - Blessing In Disguise - 75%
#118 - EZO - Fire Fire - 74.3%
#124 - GNP - Safety Zone - 73%
#138 - LEATHER - Shock Waves - 66.8%

total 141 albums rated

Whitecross is similar to RATT and they're Christian band like Stryper

yeah I think Tora Tora is quite great, I dig it, but I remember their second album is slightly better, I kinda forget and need to spin it again

new ratings added :

#61 - WHITECROSS - Triumphant Return - 83.5%

#74 - TORA TORA - Surprise Attack - 81.5%

#90 - LOU GRAMM - Long Hard Look - 79.4%

#91 - ERIC CLAPTON - Journeyman - 79.3%

#94 - DREAM THEATER - When Dream and Day Unite - 78.8%

#99 - ANNIHILATOR - Alice In Hell - 77.9%

#100 - NEAL SCHON - Late Night - 77.7%

#104 - PHANTOM BLUE - s/t - 77%

#105 - CRIMSON GLORY - Trascendence - 76.9%

#116 - METAL CHURCH - Blessing In Disguise - 75%

#118 - EZO - Fire Fire - 74.3%

#124 - GNP - Safety Zone - 73%

#138 - LEATHER - Shock Waves - 66.8%

total 141 albums rated

That looks like a painful batch of albums to sit through. I'm with DaHun in that Tora Tora looks way, way too high for me. I also think it's a cool album, but definitely not that high for me. I'd almost probably agree Whitecross is the best of this lot... though it'd be close with Tora Tora. But yeah, hard batch to chew through, I'm sure. Bet you're glad it's over. ;)

That looks like a painful batch of albums to sit through. I'm with DaHun in that Tora Tora looks way, way too high for me. I also think it's a cool album, but definitely not that high for me. I'd almost probably agree Whitecross is the best of this lot... though it'd be close with Tora Tora. But yeah, hard batch to chew through, I'm sure. Bet you're glad it's over. ;)

haha probably because you hate everything with even a slight touch of southern rock and Tora Tora has a bit of that, probably also a bit of blues.

Well, anything over 70% is considered listenable to me but this project is really helpful of picking which CDs will I keep and sell and I'll try to keep anything over 75% at the moment but when it becomes too much, I'll slim down to only over-80% or 85% in the next 10-15 years when new strong releases take over the spot in my library :D

Nightrain, the question I have for you is do you rate differently depending on mood?

For example there are times I can't listen to ac/DC or led zeppelin but at other times I think they have the greatest songs. I've spent so much time buying back discs that I got rid off that I could never rate the way you do.

Nightrain - can you post your full list in order.

I'm almost done with 1989....defo down to the dregs although I do have about 5-10 discs still to rate which could make my top 30, just want to make sure I havent missed any gems.

Cheers

Diving For Pearls is the latest album from 1989 I rated very favourably. Such a huge shame they couldn't maintain the perfection of those first 6 songs for the whole album... Still got an 88% from me, though.

Blue Blud- The Big Noise 80% ( Still my favorite tracks from them were in their Trespass/Mendes Prey days)

Treat - Organized Crime 70%

Metal Church - Blessing In Disguise 70%

Bride- Silence is Madness 80%

Cloven Hoof- A Sultan's Ransom 95%

Crossbones- S/t 80%

Oliver Magnum - S/t 98%

Rage of Angels - S/t 80%

Scanner - Terminal Earth 90%

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross 98%

Taliön - Killing the World 92%

Titan Force - S/t 100%

Blue Blud- The Big Noise 80% ( Still my favorite tracks from them were in their Trespass/Mendes Prey days)

That Blue Blud album was a big part of my time as a teenager. I have fond memories associated with those tunes but I know nothing of their Trespass/Mendes Prey days. Is it a similar sound?