1989 - best albums

Glen

I think I rated my top album of 1989 this morning.

Looking at what's left on my list I can't see anything topping that............

So you finally got around to Treat, hey? ;)

@ Nightrain - nah mate, I could never bring myself to sell the White Lion album, but if I ever sell stuff again I will probably be a bit more relentless and completely ignore sentiment. I still even have 'Belly to Belly.' I was kind of a completist with my favourite bands from the 80's, but if I could sell them all today for a decent price I wouldn't even think twice about it. I plan to sell everything I rate below 70% when I'm done rating everything, and I can assure you that White Lion will be a long way below 70%.

It's funny you say there are "3 famous fillers" - what about the six??? I will definitely rate it, but I'm a long way from W's at the moment, mate. ;)

As for the production - it's not necessarily a bad production job, I guess, technically. But I absolutely HATE the sound of the CD, and always have from the moment I first spun it. I don't know what it is exactly - the mix, the vibe... everything. It just sounds really bad to my ears. I just never enjoyed listening to that CD and in my mixes 'Little Fighter' and 'Living on the edge' just sound thin compared to other songs from the era.

As for disliking 'Addicted to that rush,' you said I must have a personal hatred of Van Halen... well yes, you are very correct. Have I not made that clear in the past? I certainly have no personal hatred for Mr Big, but I do hate Van Halen for sure, so there you go, maybe that's the reason I hate the bad Mr Big songs; because I hate 90% of Van Halen songs too. ;)

As for 'Big Love,' can't speak to much about it. To be honest I can't for the life of me remember how it goes so I just put it in with the fillers, as that's never a good sign.

LOVE that Leatherwolf disc.

a. it's not Treat - already rated that and whilst it is a very good album, it probably won't make my top 10. There's just a few songs which don't quite connect with me lyrically and again the slightly accented vocals play a part - something which has always bothered me (slightly) about Treat

b. Yeah so do I, but not quite sure how that Leatherwolf rating will pan out - there are some killer songs for sure, but also some weaker moments.

a. it's not Treat - already rated that and whilst it is a very good album, it probably won't make my top 10. There's just a few songs which don't quite connect with me lyrically and again the slightly accented vocals play a part - something which has always bothered me (slightly) about Treat

b. Yeah so do I, but not quite sure how that Leatherwolf rating will pan out - there are some killer songs for sure, but also some weaker moments.

Yeah, I admit readily I will probably rate that Treat album higher than most. I said in another thread that Casanova's 'Heroes' disc was one of my most well played albums through the years. 'Organized Crime' is probably the most played album from my collection, and will therefore hold a lot of sentimental value too. The lyrics are generally very basic, but I always loved Ernlund's voice. Technically great or not, I just always loved the dude's voice.

Haha, I didn't comment on the actual Leatherwolf rating for that reason. I love it, but with a couple of the weaker songs, who knows, maybe 78% isn't too off the mark for a score. I personally think it'll be mid 80's for me, at least, but I won't cast judgement until I rate it myself. Killer disc.

Im intrigued by the Mr Big debut now so that is next on my list.

I like 'Wing Me Up' and 'Big Love' so I reckon it might rate OK with me.....we'll see. Will report further tomorrow.

Just for record - I rated this album yesterday and it panned out at 80.7% which will probably round down to 80%.

Choice cuts were the excellent 'Had Enough' and 'Anything For You', the rather good rocker 'Blame It On My Youth' and 'Big Love'.

Where it faltered - 'Addicted'........a decent tune but musical wank, 'Merciless' and '30 Days'....an odd song at the end....might as well have ended with Rock n Roll?

In general the band is clearly mighty talented and the level of musicianship is pretty awesome, but I feel it's always taken just a bit too far with Mr Big....like 'look what we can can do' and sometimes that overshadows the songs themselves.

Still 80% is a decent score, but in 1989 it will be back in the pack at that level.

No doubt in the world that was always the issue with Mr Big. Gilbert is out of this world as a guitarist, and Sheehan just does things I have personally not heard from a bass player... amazing talent. Torpey seems to be very well regarded in his craft and sounds pretty amesome to me (even if there isn't the greatest drum sound on the Mr Big debut), and Eric Martin... what do you say about that voice? It's marvellous.

So they do arguably have one of the best musical outfits ever ensembled, but that doesn't excuse you from writing good songs. There are 10/10 songs in their catalogue, no doubt, but sadly, for every one of those there's probably at least 3-4 fillers. I would never rate a shit song well just because of good musicianship, which is why I can't see any Mr Big release rating too well for me.

A good guess on Glen's top maybe STRANGEWAYS or ROBIN BECK ?

Didn't he already rate both, though?

I'd guess Vain - 'No Respect,' because there's not really any way to fault that one. If you were being harsh you'd say 'Ready' was a bit throwaway, but the rest is near perfection. That's my pick.

Anyway, @ Glen, I believe you said that Strangeways was the most well produced album in 1989? Have you not heard 'Organized Crime?' That mofo would stand up against anything released since... stunning production for that era.

As much as he loves VAIN, I guess Glen is an AOR guy so probably AOR should be his top spot :D

new ratings in today :

DIVING FOR PEARLS - s/t - 83.6%

MASS - Voices In The Night - 83%

ANGELICA - s/t - 79.5%

AMERICAN ANGEL - s/t - 75.5%

There are 3 albums Ive rated so far where I am not happy with my score -

1. Tesla - just seems too low, but i doubt it will move, I did struggle through some of those tunes......

2. Diving For Pearls - some of the songs are so simplistic, but expertly executed....that makes it quite difficult to rate. But I have to say some of those songs stuck in my head after the spin....esp New Moon so I need to re-visit that one to check

3. Vain - same issue as Diving. Some of the choruses are pretty basic, but the songs are very well executed again. One song in the middle affects the score as well : 'Smoke & Shadows' - I dont get on well with that one...will re-visit for sure. Believe it or not Ive never owned the original CD of this album!! I never got into the album back when it was released - it was only after the release of 'Enough Rope' that I re-visited this album. This has now been rectified however the disc is due to drop next Tues :-))

As for Production, yeah Organised Crime is excellently produced. Both that and Walk In The Fire could be up there for top honours production wise.

Oh man, I love 'Smoke and Shadows.' So eerie and creepy... Davy Vain just trickling down your spinal cord like ice. I dig it.

'Ready' isn't a bad song, but it's just a bit throwaway to me. I think i said that above, hey? But yeah, it's neither here nor there. Just a meaningless and pointless rocker which doesn't fit in with the thoughtful, well constructed rest of the album.

As for 'Icy;' one of the highlights of the disc. Patchy? I guess it does go from being absolutely amazing to absolutely stunning... if that's your definition of patchy.

As for the production - it's not necessarily a bad production job, I guess, technically. But I absolutely HATE the sound of the CD, and always have from the moment I first spun it. I don't know what it is exactly - the mix, the vibe... everything. It just sounds really bad to my ears. I just never enjoyed listening to that CD and in my mixes 'Little Fighter' and 'Living on the edge' just sound thin compared to other songs from the era.

Couldn't agree more, always hated the sound of those songs and the whole album despite some great songs. It just sounds weak.

Rated Steve Lukather debut solo today - not listened to this in 20 years and unfortunately it was one of those which I binned the insert for (DOH).

Looking at all the guest musicians, I was wondering who played the solo on 'Turns To Stone'? That is such an excellent ballad, but completely let down by the 'safe' solo which is the last thing you would expect from a guitar virtuoso's solo album?? I still rated the song 9/10 but would have been a solid 10 with a magnificent (fitting) solo?

Also, I personally would have ended the album at this song and droped the last 2 tracks...making a 9 song outing (bit like his last 2 offerings), as the last 2 tracks are pretty weak and a bit disappointing after the really strong tracks

7/8 & 9. The running time would still have been decent as 'Fall Into Velvet' is pretty long.

Just a few observations..........

Haven't rated that one, so what's your final score for the album ?

Not decided yet. I remember most of these songs but theres a hell of a lot going on to lay a rating after just one spin after god knows how many years.

Thats what I love about this - re discovering some of these gems.