1989 - best albums

Glen

@ Geoff. Just realised that I didn't update my rating for XYZ after the third listen so this is what it really was and would elevate the disc to 43rd spot.

XYZ rating -

1. Maggy - 7.5 - good riff. average chorus and pretty basic vox ala Dokken. Solid

2. Inside Out - 7.5 - nice guitars in verse but again just an OK chorus. Good solid rocker but no more

3. What Keeps Me Lovin You - 9 - smooth. good vocal here. Cool atmospheric tune. nice solo. (did Tango Down rip this off?)

4. Take What You Can - 8 - another solid hard rocker with nice riff, good verse...chorus again quite basic

5. Follow The Night - 6.25 - musicianship is great but song does little for me

6. Come on 'n Love me - 6.75 - pretty average rocker - nice solo but trying too hard to sound like Whitesnake

7. Souvenirs - 8 - not overly keen on the chorus or the lyrics to be honest, but its a good ballad

8. Tied Up - 9 - first real chorus hook dare I say???? v good rocker

9. Nice Day To Die - 8 - decent rocker with a little hook in the chorus which saves it from another Dokken clone

10 After The Rain - 6 - if a ballad closes it needs to be memorable. this isnt.

Overall : 76%

I guess I could consider that a fair rating. ;) I personally would rate 'Maggy' a lot higher, 'Inside Out' lower, 'Come on n' love me' quite a bit higher and 'After the rain' much higher too. For me, the only weak song on it is 'Follow the night' (and 'Inside Out'). But yeah, maybe my rating won't even be that far off. I know I'll crack 80% at least, but we'll see how we go with this one. ;)

Well, I finally got around to this one... finally. As predicted, my score did crack the 80% mark, but also isn't too far from yours;

1 - Maggy - killer opener with some nice guitar… a few Dokken-isms in this one too - 9

2 - Inside Out - Can't believe for a second that this was "the" single from this album. Such a plodding track with a bland chorus… but the catchy riff has some mild appeal - 7

3 - What Keeps Me Loving You - perfect, sultry mid-tempo melodic rock… and the solo is absolutely divine - 10

4 - Take What You Can - great riffage… very cool hard rocker - 8.25

5 - Follow the Night - really disappointing song on a great album - just a big clunker - 6

6 - Come On N' Love Me - another really cool hard rocker with great riffage - 8

7 - Souvenirs - the chorus is a little cheesy, but everything else is brilliant. The vocal melodies throughout the whole song are just delicious - 9

8 - Tied Up - easily the best of the harder rocking songs on the CD. The chorus is huge - massive hook - 9.5

9 - Nice Day to Die - a bit "gallopy," but I've always loved this song - great hard rocker - 8.25

10 - After the Rain - always loved this one too - awesome vocals and a I love the lyrics and honest delivery of the tune. Hooks from the opening line too… beautiful tune - 9

Total - 84%

the peaks and troughs are the same apart from 'After The Rain'.......that was not very memorable for me and to be honest if I played this album Again (which probably won't be for a long time ;)) I would just end at track 9. Now if it had been Nelson's 'After The Rain' :bowdown:

Sooooo, did Tango Down rip off track 3 ??

@ Geoff. Just realised that I didn't update my rating for XYZ after the third listen so this is what it really was and would elevate the disc to 43rd spot.

XYZ rating -

1. Maggy - 7.5 - good riff. average chorus and pretty basic vox ala Dokken. Solid

2. Inside Out - 7.5 - nice guitars in verse but again just an OK chorus. Good solid rocker but no more

3. What Keeps Me Lovin You - 9 - smooth. good vocal here. Cool atmospheric tune. nice solo. (did Tango Down rip this off?)

4. Take What You Can - 8 - another solid hard rocker with nice riff, good verse...chorus again quite basic

6. Come on 'n Love me - 6.75 - pretty average rocker - nice solo but trying too hard to sound like Whitesnake

7. Souvenirs - 8 - not overly keen on the chorus or the lyrics to be honest, but its a good ballad

9. Nice Day To Die - 8 - decent rocker with a little hook in the chorus which saves it from another Dokken clone

I guess I could consider that a fair rating. ;) I personally would rate 'Maggy' a lot higher, 'Inside Out' lower, 'Come on n' love me' quite a bit higher and 'After the rain' much higher too. For me, the only weak song on it is 'Follow the night' (and 'Inside Out'). But yeah, maybe my rating won't even be that far off. I know I'll crack 80% at least, but we'll see how we go with this one. ;)

Well, I finally got around to this one... finally. As predicted, my score did crack the 80% mark, but also isn't too far from yours;

1 - Maggy - killer opener with some nice guitar… a few Dokken-isms in this one too - 9

2 - Inside Out - Can't believe for a second that this was "the" single from this album. Such a plodding track with a bland chorus… but the catchy riff has some mild appeal - 7

3 - What Keeps Me Loving You - perfect, sultry mid-tempo melodic rock… and the solo is absolutely divine - 10

5 - Follow the Night - really disappointing song on a great album - just a big clunker - 6

7 - Souvenirs - the chorus is a little cheesy, but everything else is brilliant. The vocal melodies throughout the whole song are just delicious - 9

8 - Tied Up - easily the best of the harder rocking songs on the CD. The chorus is huge - massive hook - 9.5

9 - Nice Day to Die - a bit "gallopy," but I've always loved this song - great hard rocker - 8.25

10 - After the Rain - always loved this one too - awesome vocals and a I love the lyrics and honest delivery of the tune. Hooks from the opening line too… beautiful tune - 9

Total - 84%

the peaks and troughs are the same apart from 'After The Rain'.......that was not very memorable for me and to be honest if I played this album Again (which probably won't be for a long time ;)) I would just end at track 9. Now if it had been Nelson's 'After The Rain' :bowdown:

I was curious about that comment. Which Tango Down song? I can't think of one that sounds like it off the top of my head.

XYZ rating -

Total - 84%

I was curious about that comment. Which Tango Down song? I can't think of one that sounds like it off the top of my head.

Im Done Lovin You.

Obviously not the same song, but similar style and theme.

Hmmm, not sure about that one, mate. I don't personally hear any similarity, but I am just me.

How I wished I knew an endocrinologist to recommend you buddy. Some hormones are missing :tumbsup:

Most probably After the rain is a tenner. Easily a sword of damocles for every ambitious singer out there, but not for Terry.

XYZ-S/t

1. Maggy 83

2. Inside Out 80

3. What Keeps Me Loving You 95

4. Take What You Can 85

5. Follow the Night 60

6. Come On N' Love Me 80

7. Souvenirs 90

8. Tied Up 90

9. Nice Day to Die 85

10. After the Rain 95

• 6 months later...

new addition :

PARADOX Heresy Thrash Metal RC Records 85.6%
HEIST High Heel Heaven Sleaze / Hard Rock IRS Records 79.9%
TIME GALLERY s/t AOR AOR Heaven 79.6%
LAAZ ROCKIT Annihilation Principle Thrash Metal Old Metal Records 79.1%
MAZERAN s/t Hard Rock J.A.P 78.2%
FIONA Heart Like A Gun Melodic Rock Atlantic 77.9%
PRINCESS PANG s/t Hard Rock Metal Blade 76.5%
BARREN CROSS State of Control Heavy Metal Enigma 70.6%
GINGER ROXX Caught In The Act Sleaze / Hard Rock Retrospect 68.7%
DRIFTER Nowhere To Hide Thrash Metal Frontrow 65.5%

Compilation
KEEL Larger Than Live Hard Rock DeRock 77.9%
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK Shocker Hard Rock Shocker 74.2%

172 albums rated so far

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is my first post after registering. I wanted to share my favorite albums from what was, in my opinion, one of the best years in hard rock music

1. Lillian Axe – Love and War
  2. King’s X – Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
  3. Badlands – S/T
  4. Vain – No Respect
  5. Faith No More – The Real Thing
  6. Crimson Glory - Transcendence
  7. Bonfire – Point Blank
  8. TNT – Intuition
  9. Icon – Right Between the Eyes
  10. L.A. Guns – Cocked & Loaded
  11. Victory - Culture Killed the Native
  12. Blue Murder – S/T
  13. Loudness – Soldier of Fortune
  14. Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There
  15. Kingdom Come – In Your Face
  16. Tesla – The Great Radio Controversy
  17. It Bites – Eat Me in St. Louis
  18. The Dan Reed Network – Slam
  19. XYZ – S/T
  20. China – Sign In The Sky
  21. W.A.S.P. – The Headless Children
  22. Swedish Erotica – S/T
  23. FM – Tough It Out
  24. Savatage – Gutter Ballet
  25. Signal – Loud and Clear
  26. Skid Row – S/T
  27. Leatherwolf – Street Ready
  28. Junkyard – S/T
  29. Silent Rage – Don’t Touch Me There
  30. Babylon A.D. – S/T
  31. D.A.D. – No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims
  32. Dalton – Injection
  33. Transit – Dirty Pleasures
  34. EZO – Fire Fire
  35. Diving for Pearls – S/T
  36. The Big F – S/T
  37. Shark Island – Law of the Order
  38. Lion – Trouble In Angel City
  39. Treat – Organized Crime
  40. Banshee – Race Against Time
  41. Damien – Stop This War
  42. Marchello – Destiny
  43. Bang Tango – Psycho Café
  44. Extreme – S/T
  45. Giant – Last of the Runaways
  46. White Lion – Big Game
  47. Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich
  48. Stranger – No Rules
  49. Motley Crue – Dr. Feelgood
  50. Danger Danger – S/T

This is my first post after registering. I wanted to share my favorite albums from what was, in my opinion, one of the best years in hard rock music

• Lillian Axe Love and War
  • Kings X Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
  • Badlands S/T
  • Vain No Respect
  • Faith No More The Real Thing
  • Crimson Glory - Transcendence
  • Bonfire Point Blank
  • TNT Intuition
  • Icon Right Between the Eyes
  • L.A. Guns Cocked & Loaded
  • Victory - Culture Killed the Native
  • Blue Murder S/T
  • Loudness Soldier of Fortune
  • Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There
  • Kingdom Come In Your Face
  • Tesla The Great Radio Controversy
  • It Bites Eat Me in St. Louis
  • The Dan Reed Network Slam
  • XYZ S/T
  • China Sign In The Sky
  • W.A.S.P. The Headless Children
  • Swedish Erotica S/T
  • FM Tough It Out
  • Savatage Gutter Ballet
  • Signal Loud and Clear
  • Skid Row S/T
  • Leatherwolf Street Ready
  • Junkyard S/T
  • Silent Rage Dont Touch Me There
  • Babylon A.D. S/T
  • D.A.D. No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims
  • Dalton Injection
  • Transit Dirty Pleasures
  • EZO Fire Fire
  • Diving for Pearls S/T
  • The Big F S/T
  • Shark Island Law of the Order
  • Lion Trouble In Angel City
  • Treat Organized Crime
  • Banshee Race Against Time
  • Damien Stop This War
  • Marchello Destiny
  • Bang Tango Psycho Café
  • Extreme S/T
  • Giant Last of the Runaways
  • White Lion Big Game
  • Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich
  • Stranger No Rules
  • Motley Crue Dr. Feelgood
  • Danger Danger S/T

Great list, great year....Although I never got into King's X.

Yeah, it's a cool list... an interesting one. For me it's kind of like every second album is excellent, and I really dislike every second one too, lol.

Eg. Your top 8 - I love Lillian Axe, Vain, Bonfire and TNT. All four would feature high in my list. But then I hate Kings X, Badlands, Faith No More and Crimson Glory. So much so I wouldn't even rate any of them except maybe the Badlands album, which would be around 300 in 1989. ;) The others wouldn't even rate. lol.

So you, interesting, diverse list. ;)

3. Badlands – S/T
  4. Vain – No Respect
  7. Bonfire – Point Blank
  8. TNT – Intuition
  12. Blue Murder – S/T
  19. XYZ – S/T
  23. FM – Tough It Out
  26. Skid Row – S/T
  28. Junkyard – S/T
  30. Babylon A.D. – S/T
  32. Dalton – Injection
  34. EZO – Fire Fire
  36. The Big F – S/T
  42. Marchello – Destiny
  44. Extreme – S/T
  48. Stranger – No Rules
  50. Danger Danger – S/T

Interesting choice, i think need to find out about 36, 41, and 48, haven't heard them before :)

Don't forget to post your top 50 for the other years too

3. Badlands – S/T
  4. Vain – No Respect
  7. Bonfire – Point Blank
  8. TNT – Intuition
  12. Blue Murder – S/T
  19. XYZ – S/T
  23. FM – Tough It Out
  26. Skid Row – S/T
  28. Junkyard – S/T
  30. Babylon A.D. – S/T
  32. Dalton – Injection
  34. EZO – Fire Fire
  36. The Big F – S/T
  42. Marchello – Destiny
  44. Extreme – S/T
  48. Stranger – No Rules
  50. Danger Danger – S/T

Interesting choice, i think need to find out about 36, 41, and 48, haven't heard them before :)

Not heard Stranger before? They have some great stuff - be sure to check them out. Not heard the other two either...

3. Badlands – S/T
  4. Vain – No Respect
  7. Bonfire – Point Blank
  8. TNT – Intuition
  12. Blue Murder – S/T
  19. XYZ – S/T
  23. FM – Tough It Out
  26. Skid Row – S/T
  28. Junkyard – S/T
  30. Babylon A.D. – S/T
  32. Dalton – Injection
  34. EZO – Fire Fire
  36. The Big F – S/T
  42. Marchello – Destiny
  44. Extreme – S/T
  48. Stranger – No Rules
  50. Danger Danger – S/T

Not heard Stranger before? They have some great stuff - be sure to check them out. Not heard the other two either...

Thanks for the comments guys. Stranger is straight ahead melodic, hard rock with a couple really good albums, No Rules being my fave. Damien is a melodic metal band, similar to mid-80's Judas Priest. The Big F might not appeal to everyone. They were an alternative rock band with the drummer and bassist from the new wave band Berlin. Kind of like Warrior Soul without the political overtones.

• My Little Pony

• Lillian Axe Love and War
  • Kings X Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
  • Badlands S/T
  • Vain No Respect
  • Faith No More The Real Thing
  • Crimson Glory - Transcendence
  • Bonfire Point Blank
  • TNT Intuition
  • Icon Right Between the Eyes
  • L.A. Guns Cocked & Loaded
  • Victory - Culture Killed the Native
  • Blue Murder S/T
  • Loudness Soldier of Fortune
  • Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There
  • Kingdom Come In Your Face
  • Tesla The Great Radio Controversy
  • It Bites Eat Me in St. Louis
  • The Dan Reed Network Slam
  • XYZ S/T
  • China Sign In The Sky
  • W.A.S.P. The Headless Children
  • Swedish Erotica S/T
  • FM Tough It Out
  • Savatage Gutter Ballet
  • Signal Loud and Clear
  • Skid Row S/T
  • Leatherwolf Street Ready
  • Junkyard S/T
  • Silent Rage Dont Touch Me There
  • Babylon A.D. S/T
  • D.A.D. No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims
  • Dalton Injection
  • Transit Dirty Pleasures
  • EZO Fire Fire
  • Diving for Pearls S/T
  • The Big F S/T
  • Shark Island Law of the Order
  • Lion Trouble In Angel City
  • Treat Organized Crime
  • Banshee Race Against Time
  • Damien Stop This War
  • Marchello Destiny
  • Bang Tango Psycho Café
  • Extreme S/T
  • Giant Last of the Runaways
  • White Lion Big Game
  • Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich
  • Stranger No Rules
  • Motley Crue Dr. Feelgood
  • Danger Danger S/T

Thanks for the comments guys. Stranger is straight ahead melodic, hard rock with a couple really good albums, No Rules being my fave. Damien is a melodic metal band, similar to mid-80's Judas Priest. The Big F might not appeal to everyone. They were an alternative rock band with the drummer and bassist from the new wave band Berlin. Kind of like Warrior Soul without the political overtones.

They actually played Stranger on the radio earlier this week. I was like, "Um, what??"

• 5 years later...
1. Skid Row - Skid Row

2. Faster Pussycat - Wake Me When It's Over

3.  Aerosmith - Pump

4.  Tesla – The Great Radio Controversy
5.  Motley Crue – Dr. Feelgood
6.  Alice Cooper – Trash
7.  Kiss – Hot In The Shade
8.  Whitesnake – Slip Of The Tongue
9.  Great White – ...Twice Shy
10.L.A. Guns – Cocked And Loaded
Edited by tobi is an animal