1989 - best albums

Glen

There is a lot of stuff on there i've never heard of, like Evenrude.

I'd put Vain above Motley Crue and Steve Stevens up with Pretty Boy Floyd.

I'm pleased to see Danger Danger near the top. Great album

Nowadays it's easy to check on albums on Youtube, some people have uploaded the whole album or song by song, and also you can check mp3li.org

VAIN and MOTLEY CRUE are both in the upper rank so the sequence of which one's higher is entirely personal

STEVE STEVENS has some patchy tracks, I think PBF is definitely much more consistent bro

DANGER DANGER is a true classic, no doubt about that :)

I forgot to say that's a great list Nightrain by the way ;)

It makes an outsider like me, being new to somewhere like this with people so focused on a particular era of great music, realise how much they missed back in the day and through the years!

DIVING FOR PEARLS we rated almost the same :)

Score-wise, yes. But position-wise, I think it'll be very different. Probably most of the albums you have above it I would not. Maybe only about 50% of them? I dunno, I'd have to really get my list organised.

@ Glen - if you wanted to critique a glam album like that you may as well just hate the entire genre! ;) Whilst I don't agree with you regarding the production (I personally LOVE the sound of that CD!), is there actually a glam CD out there with "great" lyrics or vocals? That's kind of the point of glam - that style of vocal combined with basic (but to me, good fun) lyrics.

DIVING FOR PEARLS we rated almost the same :)

Score-wise, yes. But position-wise, I think it'll be very different. Probably most of the albums you have above it I would not. Maybe only about 50% of them? I dunno, I'd have to really get my list organised.

@ Glen - if you wanted to critique a glam album like that you may as well just hate the entire genre! ;) Whilst I don't agree with you regarding the production (I personally LOVE the sound of that CD!), is there actually a glam CD out there with "great" lyrics or vocals? That's kind of the point of glam - that style of vocal combined with basic (but to me, good fun) lyrics.

Yes. Vain - same year....great lyrics and vocals ;-)

but really the general answer is probably no, but better.....hell yeah there is.

Songs like Leather boys, rock n roll, 48 hours, rock n roll outlaw (really??!) and Your mama are just weak. Only the Young just makes me laugh....you know, me listening to it aged 45 ;-)

There a few on there worth my ear time like Toast of the Town, The Last Kiss (is pretty good) and I Wanna Be With You is clearly 100% the best track by a country mile.

Just my 2 cents.

Is Vain classified as glam? I'd never thought of them that way. Very different to PBF, Tuff, Poison etc.

You like 'I wanna be with you' (with lyrics about showing a new girl around his high school) but you don't like 'Only the young' for lyrics you can't relate to? ;) lol. Mate, I won't argue with you that the lyrics are silly, stupid, whatever you want to call them. But they are what they are and what they've always been and if they sung about apocalyptic reincarnation on the realms of never giving up on your dreams, it wouldn't be Pretty Boy Floyd. Sure I love well written lyrics as much, if not more than the next guy, but there is no harm at all in having a handful of dumb, good fun titles like this in the collection. The songs are so crazy catchy.

And isn't 'The last kiss' basically the boppiest, bounciest little number of the CD? And I love every single second of it...

Well i didnt think it was possible to find a worse ballad than that Dalton monstrosity but i did this morning.

Congratulations Bad Habit for the worst ballad of 1989.

'More Than I'

Seriously what is this piece of shit? Sounds like they took every cheesy sound of Chicago and made it 10 times worse.

Thankfully it is followed by a much better ballad in Rowena.

Here's my take on 1989...I don't do the % thing so broke albums up into Classics and Awesome. My preference of music is hard rock first and metal second. AOR is OK but I really like the harder or metal tinged hard rock style the best.

CLASSICS

Blue Murder – Blue Murder: John Sykes is probably my favourite guitarist. I think this would have been huge if it wasn’t as heavy and the songs as long, or even if the tracklist was reversed. Some great bass and drums on here also. Big album in every way but I wonder if they would have struck it rich with Ray Gillen?

Bonfire – Point Blank: This is like a fully stuffed xmas stocking. So many songs but no real fillers. Perhaps should have held 5 songs back and released another album in 1990 and taken over the world? Anyway, avoid the yesterrock reissue and grab the original – the bonus live tracks were recorded by some kid on his cassette Walkman and it was the only time in over 20 years that I went to the CD player to turn this disc off!

The Cult – Sonic Temple: Ever changing band that released an AC/DC clone previous and then pulls this one out. This for me blows everything they ever did away. Huge guitar sound, original vocalist and not a single filler. Has a great ballad in Edie Ciao Baby but leads off with probably the weakest track in Sun King. Fabulous album and a real grower and deserves more praise.

Kingdom Come – In Your Face: After a heap of bad Led Zep clone press following their debut they return with what is easily their best album. Lead single Do You Like It is simple yet fast and melodic as is Overrated. There’s Led Zep touches throughout but it’s mainly in the delivery of the vocals by Lenny and not at all in the celtic artsy fartsy stuff that Led Zep did. This is 80s hard rock through and through. Ends with the great Stargazer.

Leatherwolf – Street Ready: Personally for me the perfect blend of metal and hard rock. Lots of guitars that could still have been higher in the mix (production is a bit lame) and an awesome vocalist. The singles Street Ready and Hideaway sum this one up but there are better songs on the album. Even the instrumental kicks ass. The Japan release had the bonus track Alone In The Night which is up to par with the other tracks and worth hunting down if you love this album. I think it appeared as a bonus on one of reissues of their earlier CDs. Oh, and their hair was always longer than most of the other bands which can only be a good thing!

Lillian Axe – Love & War: I remember thinking how edgy and dangerous this felt. Sure they were singing about the same stuff every other band was singing about at the time (getting laid) but they seem genuine. Maybe it was the mood and production of the album as it has a darker tinge to the rest of the pack. Some awesome riffs throughout, catchy and well produced.

Little Angels – Don’t Prey For Me: Not sure why people don’t rate this band. The releases after this one were very safe and slick but this one is diverse, long and chock full of quality. Some of it is quite poppy, some of it is very heavy and there’s a fair share of ballads that never get tiresome. Check out Radical Your Lover, Don’t Prey For Me…hell the whole album is great!

Savatage – Gutter Ballet: This is the mix between the band’s original sound (heavy metal) and the new (rock opera/broadway). I’m one of those that dig both styles and this ranks as one of their 3 best albums along with Hall of the Mountain King and Edge of Thorns. The great thing about this CD is that this is when they tested the waters with piano and more catchy songwriting but at the same time still have that dark and twisted truly metal sound and delivery. Check out Gutter Ballet for a twisted metal take on Queen, When The Crowds Are Gone for their first broadway ballad (and the most honest version of the song that they butchered over and over along with TSO for the next 25 years), the massive riffage of She’s In Love and the dark moody Hounds that builds and builds and finishes with more chops than you’d see at an Australia Day BBQ!

Shotgun Messiah – Shotgun Messiah: Wow what a guitarist and what a waste to only have 3 albums! Like Vito Bratta from White Lion, Harry Cody had his own style that was technical but oh so melodic. This is quite a sleazy album and whilst short with 9 tracks, and one an instrumental (and a good one) it’s original and fun and filled with quality. Fav track is probably Don’t Care About Nothin’. All 3 of their albums are very good, even the 3rd…the only industrial CD I won and like (umm besides WASPs K.F.D). Pity they swayed with the trends and ultimately packed it in after so few releases.

Tesla – The Great Radio Controversy: You always have a soft spot for the albums that get you into an artist. I missed their debut but this one blew me away even though I still skip Heaven’s Trail, Be A Man, Did It For the Money & The Way That It Is. Those tracks are forgotten when you have the sublime bass melody of Hang Tough, the energy of Yesterday’s Gone, the lead guitar in Makin’ Magic, the crunch of Flight To Nowhere, the greatness of Love Song and the build of Paradise.

Treat – Organized Crime: A truly great band (release another fkn CD!) that embodies everything great about hard rock music and Sweden then and now. The band know how to write melody with ease and were lucky enough to have a great band and singer as well. Lots of great songs on here like Get You On The Run and Party All Over.

Vain – No Respect: From the front cover, the image, the production, the stylised vocals…you just know if Davy got a hold of your daughter, girlfriend, wife or mum they would never be the same. Classics like ummm…like…hmmm the first 10 tracks. If you had to pull out a few to convince someone of the greatness of this album it would have to be No Respect, Secrets, Beat The Bullet. Without You is the only song that’s aged for me….perhaps put it on too many girlfriend ballad compilations.

WASP – The Headless Children: When this was released I was mainly a hard rocker. I didn’t mind some WASP, thought it was all a bit silly tho but this changed my mind. This is a dark and thoughtful album with highlights throughout. The cover of the Who’s The Real Me fits nicely on here, the ballad Forever Free is OK I guess but standouts are the heavy songs like The Heretic, Rebel in the FDG and Maneater. However it’s the brilliance of tracks 3-5 (The Headless Children, Thunderhead & Mean Man) that send this one into the stratosphere. Huge props have to go to Frankie Banali who’s drums on this and the next few WASPs releases are amazing.

White Lion – Big Game: As I’ve mentioned before I thought this was a huge disappointment after Pride. However time, age, repeated listens has lifted this into Classic status and White Lion’s second best album behind Pride. I love all the songs on this one from Dirty Woman, Little Fighter, If My Mind is Evil to the stuff I hated when it was initially released – Goin’ Home Tonight & Broken Home. Vito shines throughout even though the production is lacking (sucked on Pride as well but I guess a good song is a good song). Ends with probably the best song on the album, that ultimately probably sums the album up – Cry For Freedom. The front cover blows!

XYZ – XYZ: Amazing debut, amazing singer and guitarist (that blew the roof off on the next album). It’s all very Dokkeny given the man produced it and gave it a similar vibe and feel to some of the older Dokken albums. That said every track on this is a winner and not many bands would be able to pull off the one-two of Nice Day To Die & After The Rain. Is Souvenirs the best ballad of 1989?

Lizzy Borden – Master of Disguise: Like WASP I thought this band was a bit silly. However this is much more hard rock than metal and I was sort of lured in by the fact it’s a rock opera. Fans of Lizzy tend to not like this as it’s quite varied, slick and produced well. The sort of things the metal guys hate but the hard rock ones like. Love is a Crime is a cool track but this is better heard from beginning to end.

X Japan – Blue Blood: The originators of “Visual Kei”, a style that is still popular in Japan today. These guys were massive in Japan – check out concert footage of them at Tokyo Dome. The style of music ranges from sappy piano orchestral styled ballads to straight ahead hard rock but best of all ball tearin’ speed metal. Amazing drummer which is why Yoshiki bought One on One Studios (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extasy_Records). Highlights are Week End, Endless Rain & Kurenai.

AWESOME

Aerosmith – Pump: Would have loved to hear this stripped back a bit. You can barely hear the guitars on The Other Side which sounded great on the making of doco. Young Lust and My Girl are pretty lame and What It Takes is a precursor to most of the ballads they would do after this. The track Aint Enough from the Japanese release is pretty good!

Badlands – Badlands: Not sure why this is not a classic, which it is. I guess it’s just I moved away from the bluesy side of things. Loooove this album, great sound and production that makes you feel it was recorded in a smoky bar. How good is Streets Cry Freedom?!?

Alice Cooper Trash: This is a fun album by Alice but ultimately is letdown by a few stinkers, namely Only My Heart Talkin’ and the title track. Great opening 4 tracks and Bed of Nails is a ripper!

D.A.D – No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims: Fun and very stylized album. Maybe a Euro version of Extreme’s debut? Anyway it’s a silly album with the singles being the best tracks (Sleeping My Day Away & Girl Nation) but everything is pretty good on here…. if you dig the style and silliness of it all.

Dan Reed Network – Slam: Don’t listen to this much these days. Everything is safe, good and nice and a heap of ballads. The sort of thing you can play with your missus, or can play when you play with your missus.... you get the point!

Danger Danger – Danger Danger: Maybe it’s the mid paced repeated singles that brought this down for me (Naughty Naughty & Bang Bang). This one shines when the guys rock out like on Under The Gun etc. Prefer Screw It but for me (as I never had Cockroach until it was officially released) Four the Hard Way is their best! Go Laine Go! ;)

Dangerous Toys – Dangerous Toys: Love the cover and also played this a lot back in the day. There was depth here, if only they had a label to bring it out more and tap into the material like Scared, Queen of the Nile and Outlaw on future albums. Always loved Ten Boots (Stompin’) also.

De Mont – Body Language: I listened to this a few weeks back and it’s much better than I remember and not reliant on the single I Want Your Body which is how I originally remembered it. Will be giving this some more listens as it’s been gathering dust.

Extreme – Extreme: I dig the fun and childishness going on here purely because the songs are so good and has energy and delivery to match. Sure it’s weird listening to this in your 40s, perhaps even in your 20s but all the tracks on here with the exception of Watching, Waiting and Rock a Bye Bye deliver.

Faster Pussycat – Wake Me When It’s Over: A band I really tried to like however I never could get into the debut, liked this one and Whipped as well and then lost complete interest. Where There’s a Whip is a rockin’ track but this one ends badly imo.

The Front – The Front: This is one of those CDs I never should have liked. I grabbed it for a buck back in the day. It’s like a cross between The Doors and The Cult I guess but it works somehow. Ends well with Violent World and Sin.

Gun – Taking On The World: Maybe I wanted to like U2…hmmm maybe not. Sure I like some of their songs and I guess this has some similarities. Better Days is the standout track.

Icon – Right Between The Eyes: Always had a soft spot for this band.

Kiss – Hot In The Shade: I played this one a lot in the day even though there was lots of skipping. Funny they should release an album of 15 tracks when previous you got 10 and no more (and usually half were fillers). This one would be better if it ended at track 10 but I liked Rise To It, Hide Your Heart, Read My Body, Forever. The album really takes off with Silver Spoon, Cadillac Dreams and King of Hearts. However from track 11 onwards zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe if they added Let’s Put The X Into Sex and You Make Me Rock Hard (instead of releasing them on Smashes, Thrashes…) and dropped the crap half of the album this could have been a ripper?

Motley Crue – Dr. Feelgood: I’m a massive fan of Shout At The Devil as it’s their most complete album by far. This is their second best as all of their other albums have just a couple of cool tracks IMO – Too Fast For Love: Live Wire & Piece of your Action, Theatre of Pain (Smokin’ In The Boys Room – what a stinker of an album), Girls Girls Girls (title track and Wild Side) etc. Dr. Feelgood had more than just a few good tracks – Dr. Feelgood, Kickstart My Heart (farkn oarsome), Same Ol’ Situation and Don’t Go Away Mad. There are some stinkers on here but worst of all is the ballad Without You. Shame they never released a follow up in the vibe of Primal Scream and Angela from Decade of Decadence.

Pink Cream 69 – Pink Cream 69: One of my favourite bands even though I’m not much of a fan of Andi Deris. Lots of songs on this but 10 of the 13 are excellent. The band also have their own style of riffage that they still use to this day. Standouts are Take Those Tears, Sugar For Love, One Step Into Paradise (updated version with Readman is a real treat also), Welcome The Night, Hit The Bottom Row, Shadows Are Falling. Great band that only dropped off on the first 2 'modern' albums with Readman, but even they have a few good songs on them.

Skid Row – Skid Row: A couple of massive singles in Youth Gone Wild and I Remember You. Seb Bach was as cool as fuck, as were the rest of the band. Onto a real winner here right? Unfortunately a few fillers like Rattlesnake Shake, Makin’ A Mess and Midnight/Tornado stop it from being a classic. How good is Big Guns!!! Lucky for them they would top this with the next album before selling out ;)

Billy Squier – Hear & Now: I knew The Stroke from my younger days but never really knew much else. I happened to pick this up cheap when the stores where throwing out LPs for a buck. There’s a couple of Desmond Child co-writes on here and whilst it all feels like every song is trying to be a single it’s all very good. Check out Rock Out/Punch Somebody, Stronger, Don’t Say You Love Me, Tied Up, G.O.D. Solid if you can get into his voice.

Whitesnake – Slip Of The Tongue: Ultimately a huge letdown after 1987 and try as Coverdale did to make this happen i.e. Steve Vai, similar cover, re-recording an older track, a Led Zep type track etc. it just doesn’t have the quality. Dave himself also never sounded as good after 1987 and you can start to hear it here. Slip of the Tongue is a bad start but then you think there’s hope with Cheap An’ Nasty and Fool For Your Loving but it goes downhill. Wings of the Storm and Sailing Ships are pretty good. The whole album feels manufactured to be 1987 again in 1989 but it’s way off the mark.

Viper – Theatre of Fate: With Andre Matos on lead vocals this is essentially the precursor to Angra. It has the same style and the songs are all very good. If you liked Angra’s Angels Cry and Holy Land you will like this.

Some other awesome releases:

Winter Rose – Winter Rose

Pretty Boy Floyd – Leather Boyz with Electric Toyz

Shok Paris – Concrete Killers

Stormwitch – Eye Of The Storm

Swedish Erotica – Swedish Erotica

Fifth Angel – Time Will Tell

There are heaps of others that could be thrown into the awesome section but the ones listed above are the ones I keep going back to after pretty much owning them from release. One thing can be said for 1989, the majors were all over it and to some degree probably hurt some releases a little like Pump which is way over produced, Dr. Feelgood – trying to write too many singles and what a shocker of a ballad! All the Desmond Child co-writes etc. That said those albums and the forced power ballads on most CDs did really well so what do I know! ;) I wouldn’t have had it any other way! Amazing year!!!!

Hmmm, will check out a couple from Nightrain’s list then I’m onto another year.

Nice post mate - havent had time to go through it in too much detail, but this stuck out -

XYZ – XYZ: Amazing debut, amazing singer and guitarist (that blew the roof off on the next album). It’s all very Dokkeny given the man produced it and gave it a similar vibe and feel to some of the older Dokken albums. That said every track on this is a winner and not many bands would be able to pull off the one-two of Nice Day To Die & After The Rain. Is Souvenirs the best ballad of 1989?

I'm afraid I disagree - I have been through this thing about 3 times trying to work out what people hear in this. Yes its decent, yes the solos are in the main part really good. But quite a few of the choruses just dont set me on fire. Souvenirs is an OK ballad....but far from the best in 1989!!!!

My third run through pushed the score up to 76%, but that will leave it way back in the pack.

Also, his vocals sound really like Don Dokken in places - almost uncanny.

Are Vain glam? are you kidding? Davey Vain was more glam looking than any of the other lead singers of the time :)

They probably wore lipstick, but jeez, who did I see the other day... some European... got it - Easy Action, I think it was. The mega lite AOR band with Kee Marcello (who was later with Europe). I think most bands wore make-up back then, to some extent, thought definitely not to the degree that PBF did.

I just never thought Vain's actual music was considered glam. As I said above, I don't think they sound anything like PBF, Poison, Tigertailz, Bang Gang, Big Bang Babies, Roxx Gang etc. etc. For me, Vain was always more "sleaze," if you want to sub-categorize.

@ Glen - nah mate, I would never hate anyone's opinion on PBF. I was about probably 16 when I first heard the album and even then I cringed at how bad the lyrics were. But like I said, it is what it is and it never bothered me much because of how much I just loved the songs. In time, the cheesy lyrics kind of became a part of what I loved about the CD. Odd, but true. But I know this CDs not for everyone. I definitely know and understand that. I love the shit out of it, but fully appreciate many others would despise it.

Well i didnt think it was possible to find a worse ballad than that Dalton monstrosity but i did this morning.

'More Than I'

Seriously what is this piece of shit? Sounds like they took every cheesy sound of Chicago and made it 10 times worse.

But let's be honest. As much as we all love European/Scandi melodic rock / AOR bands, I don't think ballads were really any of their strong points. Even the mighty Treat - the ballads (before Leven entered) were always a weak point. But you'll find it with the majority of those Euro AOR/melodic rock bands, that the ballads are generally the weak points of the album. I don't hate either of those two songs, but yeah, they're pretty tacky and right at the bottom of the list on their respective CDs.
And 'Rowena' a ballad? Surely not?! Mid-tempo melodic rock at it's absolute finest.
@ DaHun, cool post and a good read. I agree with a lot of your thoughts on many of the releases, but then you mix it up with some bands I dislike (The Front - HATE this CD, Little Angels, White Lion etc.) but the point that stood out for me most of all was your comment on Danger Danger, where you mentioned 'Four The Hard Way' being their best CD. If anyone looks at this comment and says, 'This dude's a stoner!' I dare said person to revisit Danger Danger's collection and throw some kind of rating on all their CDs. Shocked the f*ck out of me, but when I rated D2's collection, that also came out on top for me too. When I listen to D2 I reach for the first 3 first of all, and I prefer Poley-era... but in terms of their most consistent CD from start to end, without the fillers, 'Four the hard way' is easily their best album. Shock as it was to me!

Viper - Theatre of Fate 98% (Seeing them live in Germany and Angra in Greece were some of my live experiences- I left the 100's for Viper's first and Angra's 1 st and 2nd releases)

Winter Rose - S/t 70%

Are Vain glam? are you kidding? Davey Vain was more glam looking than any of the other lead singers of the time :)

They probably wore lipstick, but jeez, who did I see the other day... some European... got it - Easy Action, I think it was. The mega lite AOR band with Kee Marcello (who was later with Europe). I think most bands wore make-up back then, to some extent, thought definitely not to the degree that PBF did.

I just never thought Vain's actual music was considered glam. As I said above, I don't think they sound anything like PBF, Poison, Tigertailz, Bang Gang, Big Bang Babies, Roxx Gang etc. etc. For me, Vain was always more "sleaze," if you want to sub-categorize.

I'm not going to argue with the amount of make up PBF wore, that was the bench mark that no one else reached :)

I remember the reaction the Vain tracks got when they were played in the clubs i frequented in my teens and they slotted nicely in to the rest of the glam tracks. In fact i seem to remember them getting a better reaction to the likes of Tigertailz and Poison etc. That's why i've always considered them glam. Every girl i knew back then seemed to have a No Respect poster above their bed! Good times!

@ Geoff, agreed I'm no stoner. D2 is a great band but I love FTHW for a few reasons:

- There was nowhere near as much competition when it was released so I really had time to love the crap out of it.

- I prefer Laine to Poley. Poley is definitely not bad just that Laine has a more manly delivery which I prefer.

- FTHW has aged better than the earlier Poley stuff, maybe it's coz I'm in my 40s and the lyrics etc.

- I like heavier and the production job is awesome also.

Can u post ur D2 ratings?

Stormwitch - Eye of the Storm 60%

( It was time for the band, who once used to encapsulate Kautsky's 3rd road of German Metal, to reach the trough of the sine wave. Boring, uninspired stuff, yet with 3 great tracks, worth alone the 60%. )

Running Wild - Death or Glory 85%

(Boeing huge fan of their satanic period, their piccaresque adventures, left me occasionally on the verge of nausea.Death or Glory isn't the case, on the contrary, with its predecessor- only a couple of steps below, Port Royal, is like milk for the infant metalhead, destined to nurture generations and generations of metal newcomers. Best served with Havana gran reserva rum and a couple volumes of Dr. Maturin's adventures or Darwin's Voyage of Beagle etc)

Nice lengthy post by John but left me scratching head with The Cult and Little Angels rated so high up there. Just didn't see the big value on The Cult and I forgot to rate Little Angels but I believe it'll be around 75% for me :) Never heard of DE MONT, will try to check out later. I still have around 10 or 15 albums I like to hear and add to the list, so probably when I have time but right now I'm starting to spin the 1990.

The usual consensus is Danger Danger's first two albums are the highest rating but then the later era is also very good although I still think when Poley's back again with Revolver, it's IMHO better than all Laine-fronted album. Technically, I'll agree Laine is a better singer and he did a fine job singing the Poley era songs but then somehow I just think Danger Danger is fit with Poley and not Laine :D

I'll revisit all the albums but in my mind the sequence will be s/t - Screw It - Revolve - Four The Hard Way - Return of The Great Gildersleeves - Dawn

I didn't count Cockroach but if it counts then maybe Cockroach is after Screw It

Stormwitch - Eye of the Storm 60%
( It was time for the band, who once used to encapsulate Kautsky's 3rd road of German Metal, to reach the trough of the sine wave. Boring, uninspired stuff, yet with 3 great tracks, worth alone the 60%. )
Running Wild - Death or Glory 85%
(Boeing huge fan of their satanic period, their piccaresque adventures, left me occasionally on the verge of nausea.Death or Glory isn't the case, on the contrary, with its predecessor- only a couple of steps below, Port Royal, is like milk for the infant metalhead, destined to nurture generations and generations of metal newcomers. Best served with Havana gran reserva rum and a couple volumes of Dr. Maturin's adventures or Darwin's Voyage of Beagle etc)

Didn't expect you to rate STORMWITCH that low as I see you're a fan of obscure heavy metal but you might have lots of metal reference for not liking that disc. A bit amateurish I guess but lots of enjoyable songs hence my 81.3% score.

My RUNNING WILD score is around 82.3% so almost the same :)

'More Than I'

Don't damn me I think 'More Than I' is excellent :D

'More Than I'

Don't damn me I think 'More Than I' is excellent :D

Its cringeworthy.

But i do agree re D2. Defo prefer Poley - as you say he just fits D2 imo.

@ Geoff, agreed I'm no stoner. D2 is a great band but I love FTHW for a few reasons:

- There was nowhere near as much competition when it was released so I really had time to love the crap out of it.

- I prefer Laine to Poley. Poley is definitely not bad just that Laine has a more manly delivery which I prefer.

- FTHW has aged better than the earlier Poley stuff, maybe it's coz I'm in my 40s and the lyrics etc.

- I like heavier and the production job is awesome also.

Can u post ur D2 ratings?

Sure mate. I have to say, this was the first time I kind of questioned this rating technique. Well, it's not that I question it at all; it just highlights the fact that even though an album is rated higher, and is technically a better album, it doesn't always mean for me that it's my personal favourite. Like I said above, when I spin D2 at a glance I always reach for the first 3 (s/t, 'Screw It' and 'Cockroach' (Poley version).

But anyway, on hard ratings alone with no preferential treatment or bias, here is how I rated their discography purely on the songs in front of me:

1. Four The Hard Way - 1997 - 89
2. Danger Danger - 1989 - 86
3. Cockroach - 1993 - 85
4. Revolve - 2009 - 85
5. Screw It! - 1991 - 84
6. The Return Of The Great Gildersleeves - 2000 - 83
7. Rare Cuts - 1988 - 79
8. Dawn - 1995 - 60

For the record, I heavily doubt that I will rate another band (aside from Harem Scarem) that has 6 albums over 80% in their discography. Super high quality band.

@ Geoff, agreed D2 are an awesome band. Can see the fillers got in the way of Screw It rating higher. I've put my ratings next to yours just out of interests sake...and a few notes.

1. - 1. Four The Hard Way - 1997 - 89 - So solid, awesome disc.
2. - 4. Danger Danger - 1989 - 86 - For me got a little lost in the shuffle of classics released in 89.
3. - 3. Cockroach - 1993 - 85 - Love it but prefer to put on FTHW.
4. - 7. Revolve - 2009 - 85 - Got it, never played it much, should revisit.
5. - 2. Screw It! - 1991 - 84 - Great CD even though a few tracks have to be skipped.
6. - 5. The Return Of The Great Gildersleeves - 2000 - 83 - Very good but letdown by some filler.
7. - 6. Rare Cuts - 1988 - 79 - Good one for the collection.
8. - 8. Dawn - 1995 - 60 - Shit!

Haha. Yeah, 'Dawn' is shit. I always paid it the compliment that it was one of the "better" sell-out CDs from the era, and at 60% maybe it is, but it is shit. Amazingly shit in places.