2015 Ratings (so far)

AlphaMale

Where are you guys getting 4 sappy ballads from? Dont Walk Away fits that bill I guess. But In The Name is hardly sappy.

Youre Not Alone is more of a power ballad.

Thats it, isnt it??

And they are all very good imo

Agreed.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put pen to paper with my early thoughts of this disc today, and here it is:

01. Back On My Trail - good hard rocking opener - sounds to me like Journey with balls. It's a nice song, but I do question it's longevity as a good one - 8
02. Turn Back Time - faultless - melodic hard rock perfection with a monster chorus, good vocals and a great drum track - 10
03. You're Not Alone (feat. Arnel Pineda) - safe, kind of generic mid-tempo balladic number - 7.5
04. Locked Out Of Paradise - another good hard rocker. Kind of like the opener, I'm not sure how well this will hold up to repeated listens, but it's a very nice tune - 8.25
05. Way To The Sun (feat. Neal Schon) - not my type of ballad - a bit stagnant, but solid enough for what it is - 7
06. Dream On - it's a shame the album's second best song is subject to stupid inspiro lyrics, but it's a very good melodic hard rocker. The "Never give up until you know love is going to save it all" is the worst lyrical passage I've heard this year - and last, and ever (outside of christian albums). - 9.25
07. Don't Walk Away - ballad time again, and again, to me, if just sounds like an average Journey ballad. And for the most part, I don't particularly favour Journey ballads. This song's fine, but very run-of-the-mill also. - 7.25
08. Here Forever - ballad time… again. Not a fan of the current trend of backing up ballads with ballads, but this is probably the best balladic number on the album - good tune - 7.75
09. Strangers To This Life - another good Journey-esque rocker. Good solid tune - 8.25
10. Better World - good solid inspiro rocker - nice; and a cool solo - 8
11. How To Mend A Broken Heart - no surprise this is better than the original really, and it is, and it's very nice - 9
12. In The Name Of The Father (Fernando's Song) - sappiest ballad is saved for last; I guess it's still okay, but only just - 7
Total - 81%

deary me, I think your opinion on this one will be pretty lonely.

Monster album for me.

Are you confusing tracks 1 & 2 - cos the lead track is amazing imo and a guaranteed 10/10 from me.

I would also put 'Locked Out of Paradise' and 'Strangers to this Life' as close to 10 - excellent tracks.

'Dream On' is probably my least fav on the album and only track I would even consider skipping.....but that would be unlikely and only due to the lyrics if anything as the music is great.

deary me, I think your opinion on this one will be pretty lonely.

Monster album for me.

Are you confusing tracks 1 & 2 - cos the lead track is amazing imo and a guaranteed 10/10 from me.

I would also put 'Locked Out of Paradise' and 'Strangers to this Life' as close to 10 - excellent tracks.

'Dream On' is probably my least fav on the album and only track I would even consider skipping.....but that would be unlikely and only due to the lyrics if anything as the music is great.

Honestly mate, I don't think my opinion on this will be that lonely. And don't confuse honesty with dislike for the album. Same thing seemed to happen with HEAT last year. I laid down some home truths and people seemed to mistake it for a dislike for an album which ended up in my top 10. I just get a bit irritated by the rose coloured glasses some people look at good releases with, and I feel the need to put things into perspective.

I'm with everyone else - it's a good CD. No doubt about it. But I've got to be realistic about it too. A lot of people who like to harp on about how much they hate ballads suddenly love one ballad every three songs. :lol:

Anyway, defo not confusing the first two songs. The first song is sooooo Journey it's painful. Not a bad thing necessarily, but like I say, I am not sure it'll hold up to a heap of listens. Yeah, you obviously dig the Journey-styled tracks, and Journey fans will undoubtedly love this one, but as you may know, I am not their hugest fan.

As for 'Dream On,' it is a lyrical abomination, but it's a damn good tune. ;)

Im no fan of ballad heavy albums either but imo they are all good songs - granted not as strong as the rockers but only because the rockers in the main part are killer tracks.

The hooks and performances on this album (and production to a certain degree) are better than anything so far this year and probably most albums last year as well.

1. Back On My Trail - 8.25
2. Turn Back Time - 8.75
3. You're Not Alone - 8
4. Locked Out of Paradise - 8.25
5. Way To The Sun - 7
6. Dream On - 10
7. Don't Walk Away - 7.5
8. Here Forever - 7.75
9. Strangers To This Life - 9.5
10. Better World - 9
11. How To Mend A Broken Heart - 8.5
12. In The Name of The Father (Fernando's Song) - 8

prod = 9
musicianship = 10
replay = 8

total 85%

let's check your rating Glen

• 3 weeks later...

All right Russ, I can't leave you hanging. I've been pretty busy this year with my music rating, and thus have got to a point where I have initial ratings at least on all the 2015 stuff. So here it is, how I see 2015 as at 25th of March:

1 - Care Of Night - Connected - 90
2 - Issa - Crossfire - 89
3 - Eclipse - Armageddonize - 84
4 - Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz - 82
5 - Revolution Saints - Revolution Saints - 81
6 - Papa Roach - F.E.A.R. - 79
7 - Hit The Lights - Summer Bones - 79
8 - Falling In Reverse - Just Like You - 78
9 - Snake Eye - Snake Eye III - 77
10 - Light You Up - All We've Ever Known - 76
11 - Reach - Reach Out To Rock - 76
12 - Like A Storm - Awaken The Fire - 75
13 - Sleeping With Sirens - Madness - 75
14 - Courage My Love - Becoming - 74
15 - Wake The Nations - Sign Of Heart - 74
16 - Talon - Fourplay - 74
17 - The Dreaming - Rise Again - 73
18 - Terra Nova - Reinvent Yourself - 72
19 - Ghosts Of Eden - What Makes You Happy? - 72
20 - Universe - Mission Rock - 72
21 - The Taking - The Taking - 72
22 - Broadway - Contexture - 71
23 - Level 10 - Chapter One - 71
24 - Available At The Counter - Hello Reality - 71
25 - Sweet & Lynch - Only To Rise - 71
26 - Scorpions - Return To Forever - 70
27 - Devil's Train - II - 70
28 - Kissing Miss Lizzy - Kissing Miss Lizzy - 70
29 - Dracula - Swing Of Death - 69
30 - Vital Silence - What's Left For Mystery - 69
31 - Fourth Line - Everything Is Fine - 68
32 - Millyseck - Millyseck - 67
33 - Cholane - Caution - 67
34 - Red - Of Beauty & Rage - 66
35 - Another Perfect Storm - Another Perfect Storm - 66
36 - Knock Out Kaine - Rise Of The Electric Jester - 66
37 - Fall Out Boy - American Beauty - American Psycho - 66
38 - Jeff Scott Soto - Inside The Vertigo - 65
39 - Ice Blue - Back To The Light - 65
40 - China Sky - China Sky II - 65
41 - Cyanide - Lethal Dose - 65
42 - Chalice - Overyears Sensation - 65
43 - Empire Saint - R.N.S - 63
44 - Fool's Errand - Beyond The Pale - 63
45 - Funeral For A Friend - Chapter And Verse - 61
46 - Toto - XIV - 60
47 - Wolfpakk - Rise Of The Animal - 60
48 - Furyon - Lost Salvation - 59
49 - Home For Fall - Everything I Never Said - 56
50 - Richard Page - Goin' South - 56
51 - Heartless Breakers - The Great Give Back - 55
52 - Saints Trade - Robbed In Paradise - 55
53 - Thunder - Wonder Days - 55
54 - Tony Mills - Over My Dead Body - 55
55 - Bonafide - Denim Devils - 50
56 - Legion - Animal Within - 50
57 - Diesel'23 - Last Chance - 49
58 - Europe - War Of Kings - 27

59 - Kid Rock - First Kiss - 24

All right Russ, I can't leave you hanging. I've been pretty busy this year with my music rating, and thus have got to a point where I have initial ratings at least on all the 2015 stuff. So here it is, how I see 2015 as at 25th of March:

1 - Care Of Night - Connected - 90

2 - Issa - Crossfire - 89

3 - Eclipse - Armageddonize - 84

4 - Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz - 82

5 - Revolution Saints - Revolution Saints - 81

6 - Papa Roach - F.E.A.R. - 79

7 - Hit The Lights - Summer Bones - 79

8 - Falling In Reverse - Just Like You - 78

9 - Snake Eye - Snake Eye III - 77

10 - Light You Up - All We've Ever Known - 76

11 - Reach - Reach Out To Rock - 76

12 - Like A Storm - Awaken The Fire - 75

13 - Sleeping With Sirens - Madness - 75

14 - Courage My Love - Becoming - 74

15 - Wake The Nations - Sign Of Heart - 74

16 - Talon - Fourplay - 74

17 - The Dreaming - Rise Again - 73

18 - Terra Nova - Reinvent Yourself - 72

19 - Ghosts Of Eden - What Makes You Happy? - 72

20 - Universe - Mission Rock - 72

21 - The Taking - The Taking - 72

22 - Broadway - Contexture - 71

23 - Level 10 - Chapter One - 71

24 - Available At The Counter - Hello Reality - 71

25 - Sweet & Lynch - Only To Rise - 71

26 - Scorpions - Return To Forever - 70

27 - Devil's Train - II - 70

28 - Kissing Miss Lizzy - Kissing Miss Lizzy - 70

29 - Dracula - Swing Of Death - 69

30 - Vital Silence - What's Left For Mystery - 69

31 - Fourth Line - Everything Is Fine - 68

32 - Millyseck - Millyseck - 67

33 - Cholane - Caution - 67

34 - Red - Of Beauty & Rage - 66

35 - Another Perfect Storm - Another Perfect Storm - 66

36 - Knock Out Kaine - Rise Of The Electric Jester - 66

37 - Fall Out Boy - American Beauty - American Psycho - 66

38 - Jeff Scott Soto - Inside The Vertigo - 65

39 - Ice Blue - Back To The Light - 65

40 - China Sky - China Sky II - 65

41 - Cyanide - Lethal Dose - 65

42 - Chalice - Overyears Sensation - 65

43 - Empire Saint - R.N.S - 63

44 - Fool's Errand - Beyond The Pale - 63

45 - Funeral For A Friend - Chapter And Verse - 61

46 - Toto - XIV - 60

47 - Wolfpakk - Rise Of The Animal - 60

48 - Furyon - Lost Salvation - 59

49 - Home For Fall - Everything I Never Said - 56

50 - Richard Page - Goin' South - 56

51 - Heartless Breakers - The Great Give Back - 55

52 - Saints Trade - Robbed In Paradise - 55

53 - Thunder - Wonder Days - 55

54 - Tony Mills - Over My Dead Body - 55

55 - Bonafide - Denim Devils - 50

56 - Legion - Animal Within - 50

57 - Diesel'23 - Last Chance - 49

58 - Europe - War Of Kings - 27

59 - Kid Rock - First Kiss - 24

Cool list mate. Haven't heard Hit the Lights yet but suspect that will be high on my list. I thought Like a Storm was pretty good, probably will rate a bit higher for me. As for Europe I wasn't going to bother listening and now I'm sure I won't.

Hit The Lights will definitely move up my list, that I am 100% sure of. It is definitely far more appealing to me than Papa Roach in terms or return spins, and even probably Revolution Saints. So that one score is definitely a work in progress. Be prepared for it, though, mate, I don't think it'll be what you're expecting (and hoping for) at all.

I had to hear Europe with my own ears to make sure there were no good songs on it, and there weren't. Funnily enough, there is a large handful of albums I haven't and won't rate this year, rather than just rating everything. I blame Stefan and that 'First kiss' song for wasting my time with that full Kid Rock album, which was an abomination.

Like A Storm is good, but the previous songs are all the best ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Here ya go guys:

Eclipse 88

Care Of Night 87

Maxx Exlosion 86

Santa Cruz 85

Revolution Saints 85

Dirty Passion 81

Reckless 80

Impelliteri 79

Snake Eye 78

U.D.O. 78

Tonk 77

Reach 77

Talon 76

Damnation Angels 76

Magic Kingdom 76

Level 10 75

Sweet & Lynch 75

Devils Train 75

Black Star Riders 74

Strikeforce 74

Knock Out Kaine 73

Onesko's Guitar Army 73

The Devil In Calif. 72

Lola Stonecracker 72

Arena 71

Last Autumn's Dream 71

Airstream 71

Scorpions 70

Jeff Scoo Soto 70

Cyanide 70

Martin J. Andersen 70

AOR 70

Grindhouse 70

Temple Of Rock 70

China Sky 69

The Poodles 68

Issa 68

Radioactive 67

Wolfpakk 67

High Road Easy 66

Sleazy Way Out 65

Gun 65

Furyon 64

Backwater 63

Thunder 62

Tony Mills 62

The Darker My Horizon62

Jettblack 61

Saints Trade 60

Windsor Drive 60

Glass Hammer 59

Strangelet 59

Legion 58

Europe 56

Toto 55

Wildabouts 54

The Toi 52

Eldorado 51

O'Regan 45

okay i'll focus on Maxx Explosion, Reckless, and Dirty Passion first

3 great discs man! Reckless is a recording from 1990. Need I say more?

A description:

The songs here are more LA Glam, sleazy and garnering a more raunchy Hair Metal swagger than Reckless previous album, according to the style ruling these years. Think a mix of Motley Crue, WASP, Lizzy Borden, Poison, LA Guns and GNR.

If you are into late '80s Hair Metal you will get your mouth full listening to this album, especially fans of Motley Crue, early Skid Row, Warrant, Trixter, Poison, etc.

Very Recommended.

• My Little Pony

I have RECKLESS - No Frills from 1987, a reissued from Retrospect, is it the same band ? Because I remember I like that album :)

Yes! Same band!

Is this Disorderly Conduct we're talking about?

I have RECKLESS - No Frills from 1987, a reissued from Retrospect, is it the same band ? Because I remember I like that album :)

Yes! Same band!

Is this Disorderly Conduct we're talking about?

Yes

okay i'll focus on Maxx Explosion, Reckless, and Dirty Passion first

Heard Reckless and Dirty Passion today and I regret to say, wasn't impressed with either. :(

Reckless started out solid but quickly went downhill after the 2nd song. It was okay, but just average 80's hard rock. I won't play it much this year.

Dirty Passion is a good solid release. Reminds me of Knock Out Kaine, but I prefer KOK (mmmmmm!). Just standard hard rock for me; didn't do much at all.

• 1 month later...

1. Back On My Trail - 8.25

2. Turn Back Time - 8.75

3. You're Not Alone - 8

4. Locked Out of Paradise - 8.25

5. Way To The Sun - 7

6. Dream On - 10

7. Don't Walk Away - 7.5

8. Here Forever - 7.75

9. Strangers To This Life - 9.5

10. Better World - 9

11. How To Mend A Broken Heart - 8.5

12. In The Name of The Father (Fernando's Song) - 8

prod = 9

musicianship = 10

replay = 8

total 85%

let's check your rating Glen

Not rated this yet, but will do by mid year. It's holding up to repeated plays and overall I love the album.

However the middle is the problem for me. 'Dream On' I have to skip every time.....the lyrics are ridiculous. And 'Dont Walk Away' is just not strong enough as a ballad.

So for me the album would work better without those 2 tracks.

Most of the rest I love though and my 2 favs are 'Locked Out Of Paradise' and 'Strangers to this Life'.....KILLER tracks.

You know it's a slow year when we are still talking about Revolution Saints which came out like 4 months ago.

This pains me a little but this Nelson album has got under my skin. I've written them off in the past as too soft for my tastes Lordy those songs are strong .

The Romeos daughter was a disapponent up to the point I realised I'd listened to it 20 plus times and every song had bedded in. It's possible it's even better than their last .

Then there's care of night . Classic .

Think those are my top three so far.