Obscure AOR Usage Alert!

heavyharmonies

Was watching "Billy and Mandy Save Christmas" with the kids the other evening on Cartoon Network, and during the end credits, "Round and round" by Ratt plays!  :banger:

:lol: I heard that the other day. Way cool!

That being said....................I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THAT SHOW!!!!! :lol:

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very young Steve Winwood did the vocals on that one....from the Ripley's believe it or not file. ;):tumbsup:

That is correct, and the way he sung at that time might of been the 'female' sounding voice she heard.

No way!!! :o Really? I thought it sounded more like Jewel...

Nope.....it was Alison Krauss. Found the soundtrack on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Jordan-Vari...s/dp/B00008PX87

>> Kinda reminds me of an episode of Buffy when I could hear a song playing in the Bronze but it wasnt by the artist I'd usually associate it with so I was having trouble placing the song.

In the end it dawned on me that it was a Pretty Boy Floyd song from the A Tale of Sex, Designer Drugs, and the Death of Rock n roll EP!

I seem to remember it was the song Junkie Girl!

Ok,I know it wasnt PBF,but it was cool to hear that someone out there liked the song enuff to cover it & put it in the show! <<

It was probably Rubber ... the PBF version is actually a "cover." Actually all of the songs on the Ep were Rubber songs if I remember correctly. Rubber was Keri Kelli's band after BBB.

And Marc Ferrari actually places a lot of these songs in movies, tv shows and commercials, by the way.

Alot of TV shows have been doing this because then they don't have to pay big money to the real artist. It's cheaper to basically "rent" the song, and have a lesser known artist perform it for the show.

I remember on an episode of Miami Vice years ago they played Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Miami Vice was always a top show for great music, especially in the AOR/MR Genre. I loved all the Jan Hammer music as well. I remember these in certain episodes!! My all time fave show bar non!!

Tommy Shaw - Girls With Guns/ Dangerous Game

Autograph - Turn Up The Radio

Bryan Adams - Heat Of The Night

Aerosmith - Rag Doll

Russ Ballard - In The Night/ Voices/ You're Time Is Gonna Come

Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Big League

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is/ Women

Guns 'n Roses - Paradise City

Corey Hart - Blind Faith

Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now/ Feel It Again/ Bad Attitude

The Hooters - Satellite

Iron Maiden - Only The Good Die Young

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell

Meatloaf - Standing On The Outside

Kim Mitchell - Go For Soda

Mr. Mister - Kyrie/ Stand And Deliver

Ted Nugent - Little Miss Dangerous/ Angry Young Man

John Parr - Naughty Naughty

Robert Plant - Little By Little/ Ship Of Fools/ Walking Towards Paradise

Ratt - Dance

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe/ Can't Turn Back

The Tubes - She's A Beauty

John Waite - Missing You

ZZ Top - Tush/ Legs/ Sharp Dressed Man

I remember on an episode of Miami Vice years ago they played Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Miami Vice was always a top show for great music, especially in the AOR/MR Genre. I loved all the Jan Hammer music as well. I remember these in certain episodes!! My all time fave show bar non!!

Tommy Shaw - Girls With Guns/ Dangerous Game

Autograph - Turn Up The Radio

Bryan Adams - Heat Of The Night

Aerosmith - Rag Doll

Russ Ballard - In The Night/ Voices/ You're Time Is Gonna Come

Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Big League

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is/ Women

Guns 'n Roses - Paradise City

Corey Hart - Blind Faith

Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now/ Feel It Again/ Bad Attitude

The Hooters - Satellite

Iron Maiden - Only The Good Die Young

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell

Meatloaf - Standing On The Outside

Kim Mitchell - Go For Soda

Mr. Mister - Kyrie/ Stand And Deliver

Ted Nugent - Little Miss Dangerous/ Angry Young Man

John Parr - Naughty Naughty

Robert Plant - Little By Little/ Ship Of Fools/ Walking Towards Paradise

Ratt - Dance

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe/ Can't Turn Back

The Tubes - She's A Beauty

John Waite - Missing You

ZZ Top - Tush/ Legs/ Sharp Dressed Man

I was in high school when they were filming the show all over town. I remember they were shooting a scene right behind my apt. building for the episode where Sonny has to kill his Vietnam buddy. The "nightclub" that the character owned was really an assisted living home! Some of the residents had no where to go during the filming so they were stuck outside in wheelchairs on the street. At least it was warm and wasn't raining... :blink:

Aaaah Miami Vice ! THAT was great !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT3-DqrF1UY

The sountrack was really great, and Crockett was soooo cool :lol: Top 80's ! :bowdown:

Don Johnson made a brief carrier in the AOR music...

• 1 month later...
>> Kinda reminds me of an episode of Buffy when I could hear a song playing in the Bronze but it wasnt by the artist I'd usually associate it with so I was having trouble placing the song.

In the end it dawned on me that it was a Pretty Boy Floyd song from the A Tale of Sex, Designer Drugs, and the Death of Rock n roll EP!

I seem to remember it was the song Junkie Girl!

Ok,I know it wasnt PBF,but it was cool to hear that someone out there liked the song enuff to cover it & put it in the show! <<

It was probably Rubber ... the PBF version is actually a "cover." Actually all of the songs on the Ep were Rubber songs if I remember correctly. Rubber was Keri Kelli's band after BBB.

It was Rubber. When I first heard it I thought it was PBF too but my wife has Buffy The Vampire Slayer Watchers Guide book and it lists all the songs from the different seasons.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone catch this past Wednesday's episode of Bones? The song "Keep on Trying" by Poco was VERY prominently featured in the episode, and the band's name was even mentioned...VERY cool! :)

Did anyone catch this past Wednesday's episode of Bones? The song "Keep on Trying" by Poco was VERY prominently featured in the episode, and the band's name was even mentioned...VERY cool! :)

Yeah I saw it(I never miss an episode) and I remember the song and the mention of the name but I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know the song or the band. :anon:

• 2 months later...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_en_...pIcQ6tWWQ8E1vAI

Big moment for Journey at 'Sopranos' end

The songwriters of Journey's power ballad "Don't Stop Believin'" were "jumping up and down" when they learned a few weeks ago it had been licensed for use in the final episode of "The Sopranos."

But even they couldn't believe how it would prove so integral to one of the most memorable final scenes in television history.

"It was better than anything I would have ever hoped for," said Jonathan Cain, Journey keyboard player, who watched at home with his wife and family.

Tony Soprano chose the song after flipping through a jukebox at a New Jersey restaurant where he dined with his family. The song played in the background as ominous characters flitted about and, right as

Steve Perry was singing "don't stop," the HBO series did exactly that, for good. The ending infuriated some fans, amused others and intrigued all.

Cain, who wrote the song with Perry and Neal Schon, didn't know how it would be used when they agreed to the licensing. Cain kept the fact that it was going to be in at all a secret, then watched the episode with his family.

"I didn't want to blow it," he told The Associated Press on Monday. "Even my wife didn't know. She looked at me and said, `You knew that and you didn't tell me?'"

Journey released the song in 1981, and it reached No. 9 on the singles chart. It has taken a life of its own since then, often reflecting the attitude people had toward Journey itself. "Don't Stop Believin'" brings back fond memories for many, is unbearably cheesy for others.

It's easy to imagine Tony Soprano, back in the day, taking a young Carmella to a Journey concert.

David Chase, creator of "The Sopranos," has an eclectic musical taste. He's curated two songtrack albums for his series, and made music a key part of the stories, particularly as the ending credits rolled. It's possible "Don't Stop Believin'" was part of the elaborate inside joke he made of the final episode.

It's also possible he found the end of the last verse too hard to resist: "Some will win, some will lose," Perry sings. "Some were born to sing the blues. Oh, the movie never ends. It goes on and on and on and on ... "

"Don't Stop Believin'" has been featured in a several television and movie scenes. It crept onto an iTunes top-10 list when, during the same week, it was on Fox's "Family Guy" and in a romantic scene on MTV's "Laguna Beach."

Sports teams have adopted it, too. After the Chicago White Sox used it in 2005, Perry sang it at the parade to celebrate the team's

World Series victory.

Cain, who has a 13-year-old and twins aged 11, said the songwriters are careful about how they license the song, and have resisted several advertising campaigns. They debated its use in the film "Monster" with

Charlize Theron but, in the end, "she's too cute to say no to," he said.

He was a little nervous Sunday when, as he watched with his children, the mob boss Phil was shot and viewers heard his head crunched as it was run over by an SUV. But he loved the final scene.

"It was very smart writing," he said. "I always love movies where you don't see the guy whacked. You wonder whether he's going to get whacked."

It could help Journey's visibility, too, as it did for singer

Nick Lowe when his song "The Beast in Me" was used over the closing credits for "The Sopranos" very first episode. There had been some speculation that Chase would return to it for the finale.

"A lot more people knew Johnny Cash's version (of `The Beast in Me') and this put Nick's version on the map," said Jake Guralnick, Lowe's American manager. "Nick's version is a lot more vulnerable."

Cain said it indicated that a wish he and Perry had — that their songs would have a long life — was coming true.

"It puts our feet in the cement," he said. "We're a staple in the American music culture. Like us or not, we're here to stay."

Castle Blak was used in the 80's teen tittie flick, Beach Balls, so was Hans Naughty!