In Faith - There's A Storm Coming

Stefan

I'm spinning this for the second time, and...

Given all the hype it has garnered and all the "ZOMFG! BesthingEVERZZZZZZ!" comments all over the Interwebz, I'm actually disappointed.

It's solid. Decent. Has its moments. But not a lot of staying/sticking power to these ears. I'd give it 4/5 stars at this point, but won't make my top 5 or anywhere close.

It's weird, because at times the vocals and choruses are great, but at others they are cringeworthy and give me that "nails on a chalkboard" feeling.

It just doesn't pass my "ear candy" test. There's no point during the album that I find myself hitting the "Back" button to immediately re-listen to the song again because it's just so damned good. That's somewhat of a litmus test for me.

I mean hell, it's certainly no Babymetal. :rofl2::poke:

Seriously though, it just falls short and I can't quite put my finger on why.

EDIT: As I listen further, I think part of the reason is that at times I hear Harem Scarem, Def Lep, Winger, et al., but... just not as well executed; a "poor man's version" if you will. It's like they are trying SO hard to be these bands, but it comes up short of magnificence.

I'll give it some relistens along the way as it may be a grower...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm spinning this for the second time, and...

Given all the hype it has garnered and all the "ZOMFG! BesthingEVERZZZZZZ!" comments all over the Interwebz, I'm actually disappointed.

It's solid. Decent. Has its moments. But not a lot of staying/sticking power to these ears. I'd give it 4/5 stars at this point, but won't make my top 5 or anywhere close.

It's weird, because at times the vocals and choruses are great, but at others they are cringeworthy and give me that "nails on a chalkboard" feeling.

It just doesn't pass my "ear candy" test. There's no point during the album that I find myself hitting the "Back" button to immediately re-listen to the song again because it's just so damned good. That's somewhat of a litmus test for me.

I mean hell, it's certainly no Babymetal. :rofl2::poke:

Seriously though, it just falls short and I can't quite put my finger on why.

EDIT: As I listen further, I think part of the reason is that at times I hear Harem Scarem, Def Lep, Winger, et al., but... just not as well executed; a "poor man's version" if you will. It's like they are trying SO hard to be these bands, but it comes up short of magnificence.

I'll give it some relistens along the way as it may be a grower...

Soooo...It's not just me then ;) ..That pretty much sums it up for me too, absolutely no songs I would immediately hit the back button to want to listen to again straightaway which says it ll really. Not bad, but certainly not great and no top placings me for me either.

• My Little Pony

In fact I end up skipping some before they end.

Ha! Only heard it once, and not well enough, but I might be with you lot.

Agree with Alphamale, i found at least 4-5 songs worth around 7 or 7.5, but the rest are quite good. Probably the best track for me is 'Does It Feel Like Love'. Overall I rated it around 81%, worth to buy but definitely out of the top 20

Agree with Alphamale, i found at least 4-5 songs worth around 7 or 7.5, but the rest are quite good. Probably the best track for me is 'Does It Feel Like Love'. Overall I rated it around 81%, worth to buy but definitely out of the top 20

Wow.... we rate things pretty close most of the time. Our tastes must be similar!

• 5 months later...

Nope it's not

It's excellent. But sweet mother of christ, did you doods hear the bonus songs?! How on sweet mother earth did 'Don't hold your breath' not make the disc??? I love the album, but this would have been in my top 3 songs for sure - it's magnificent. And to be honest, 'Learn to fly' is pretty great too. They should have added both songs to the album, imo. Shame the bitrate on these tunes is a little low - would love a fully proper version of 'Don't hold your breath.'

Don't hold your breath is actually a cover of Nicole Scherzinger, although i'm a tad disappointed in myself for knowing that

No, thats hilarious.

• My Little Pony

Don't hold your breath is actually a cover of Nicole Scherzinger, although i'm a tad disappointed in myself for knowing that

No, thats hilarious.

Heh. Truu!

Nope it's not

It's excellent. But sweet mother of christ, did you doods hear the bonus songs?! How on sweet mother earth did 'Don't hold your breath' not make the disc??? I love the album, but this would have been in my top 3 songs for sure - it's magnificent. And to be honest, 'Learn to fly' is pretty great too. They should have added both songs to the album, imo. Shame the bitrate on these tunes is a little low - would love a fully proper version of 'Don't hold your breath.'

'Don't Hold Your Breath' and 'Learn To Fly' are both available as bonus tracks for Japanese pressing bro

Nope it's not

'Don't Hold Your Breath' and 'Learn To Fly' are both available as bonus tracks for Japanese pressing bro

Buy me it.

Who the frick is Nicole Scherzinger??? Youtube?

Answer:

Nice rack.

Wow, In Faith really made their version of this song their own. I guess I can see a cool hook in the original version, but the rock version sounds 100% better to these unbiased ears. ;)

That's a good cover, like it.

As an avid F1 fan i knew who Nicole is because she was bumping uglies with Lewis Hamilton for a fair while :)