Sweet & Lynch - Only To Rise

Stefan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Well, I've heard the disc and it's about what I expected. Maybe in the 75% to 80% range.

There is one song where Lynch really sounds like Lynch. Lemme see if it's on Youtube.

edit: It's not. It's track 2 "Dying Rose". A really great track.

You mean that song Stefan posted right above you, six hours ago?

'Dying Rose' sounds almost like recent Dokken to me.

I'm about the same on this album - basically exactly what I expected. It'll rate somewhere around the 70% mark and it'll sadly be forgotten in about two months. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, and probably the best disc featuring Lynch for a hell of a long time, but it's just not that great either.

My early faves were probably 'Love stays' and 'Me without you,' and 'September' was pretty good too.

Can you actually understand what he's singing. I heard one track on You Tube and had the exact same issue as with the last Stryper album..........great music but couldnt understand the lyrics without a lyric sheet in front of me.

Can you actually understand what he's singing. I heard one track on You Tube and had the exact same issue as with the last Stryper album..........great music but couldnt understand the lyrics without a lyric sheet in front of me.

Phibbleglarb the Yabloobloo! Yarpmif skans ptood!

(or something like that)

P.S. The video above posted yesterday has already been blocked for copyright.

Ha, yeah, there is a lot I don't catch in his vocal delivery, but usually that suits me alright because he's mindlessly drivelling on about some jesus garbage. Thankfully, though, not this time. It's not all hard to decipher, but I do know what you mean.

Well, I've heard the disc and it's about what I expected. Maybe in the 75% to 80% range.

There is one song where Lynch really sounds like Lynch. Lemme see if it's on Youtube.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit strange... :lol:

P.S. The video above posted yesterday has already been blocked for copyright.

Yeah, but my posted video works quite well... :)

Wow... how did I miss that?? LOL :lol:

Yeah, I only sensed Lynch on this one once or twice too, and only in the solos. There is zero trace of him in the rhythm guitar which, for me, was what really made me such a massive fan of him in the early days.

Yeah, I only sensed Lynch on this one once or twice too, and only in the solos. There is zero trace of him in the rhythm guitar which, for me, was what really made me such a massive fan of him in the early days.

Yep agreed. But lets face it, this is the best thing that could have happened to him. He has basically sucked major ass after 1992....basically everything.

Yep agreed. But lets face it, this is the best thing that could have happened to him. He has basically sucked major ass after 1992....basically everything.

I guess you're right about Lynch lol but I think I can pick some good songs on LYNCH MOB's 'Smoke and Mirrors' though

I guess you're right about Lynch lol but I think I can pick some good songs on LYNCH MOB's 'Smoke and Mirrors' though

lol, all of them.

lol, all of them.

Ugg...that album was bad too. Outside of a few songs on Sacred Groove that was the end of the line for me.

• My Little Pony

Finally got it.Went to the closest FYE and they didn't have it,then Best Buy was sold out and finally a different FYE had it.

Tell us what you think.

I must preface that I do NOT own this album, so I'm only replying to those songs and or snippets which I have actually I've heard...

Don't like it. Lynch is just too bluesy here for me, and Sweet seems as though he's trying to be someone he's not. Just one guy's opinion.

What I'd like to see (hear) is a Sweet solo album in the vain of the Blue Tears debut. Mike plays a damn fine guitar in case any of y'all didn't know (joke, I'm sure you all know how good he is), and his voice and writing themes are just better suited for what some would consider "sappy love songs." I dig that stuff a lot from him.

Funny some can't hear Lynch in the riffs since he wrote all the music. Michael only wrote lyrics & vocal melodies and arranged/produced...adding a little bit of extra guitar.

My 2 cents: Michael's vocals are fantastic...Lynch's solos are great...and they're both working very hard to elevate music that is mostly "OK" but could have been better, IMO.

Funny some can't hear Lynch in the riffs since he wrote all the music. Michael only wrote lyrics & vocal melodies and arranged/produced...adding a little bit of extra guitar.

My 2 cents: Michael's vocals are fantastic...Lynch's solos are great...and they're both working very hard to elevate music that is mostly "OK" but could have been better, IMO.

This!!! -------->>>>^^^^^^^

• 3 months later...
Guest theczar

I've had the album for a few weeks now & consider two tracks to be outstanding; Dying Rose has been on my gym playlist without fail, and sees the great man (Lynch) on top form - especially the opening section, while Me Without You is genuinely moving and makes every hard rock ballad from the past decade sound clichéd - Lynch's shimmering strings combined with Sweet's, well, sweet voice (never previously been a fan) combine superbly.

Elsewhere, I can hardly understand a word that Sweet's singing on the very average opener The Wish, Divine has no recognizable riff - just Lynch shredding and the rest is just... obligatory filler.