VEGA - Stereo Messiah (2014)

Nightrain

Still not a big fan of Workman's voice, but in my opinion this tune is far better than anything on the last release. I may just eat my own words and give this new release a chance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely up there with the best of them this year and for me, much better than 'What The Hell', which whilst very good (after not exactly winning me over initially), lacked something that the excellent debut had. This is right back on form with an excellent set of songs, great choruses to all the songs, but especially on 'The Fall', 'All Or Nothing', '10 X Bigger Than Love', 'With Both Hands', 'My Anarchy' and superb ballad 'Tears Never Dry'. Absolutely splendid stuff.

Heard this today and absolutely loved it. It'll be hard to call, but it may be their best yet - certainly their most consistent. I think there are a handful of better tunes on 'What the hell,' but that said, this has no sign at all of the weaker moments on that disc. From start to end this is just a masterclass in melodic hard rock. Yep, no typo. Whilst the first two are more AOR/melodic rock, this one definitely has a ballsier edge and I'd not hesitate to call it melodic hard rock this time around. The production is absolutely immaculate and by far the best they've ever sounded. There is much more power in the drums and general rhythm section this time around, and by f*ck it suits them well.

The ballads were kind of a sore point on the last disc, and imo the ballad to close out the album is again the weakest track on this disc, but everything else is excellent. The overly generic 'All or nothing,' aside from having 10/10 verses, does have a pretty basic chorus too. Aside from those two songs, the others are just brilliant. These guys are way, way at the top of the genre at the moment with only a handful of other bands, and if they release one or two more albums like this, they are in real danger of unexpectedly becoming one of my all-time favourite bands. Album of the year so far, by a long way.

• 2 months later...

i must admit, after listening to VEGA albums over and over again, their songs stayed strong but somehow there's something off about Nick's vocal that I can't explain, probably his wail. It's not that I hate his voice but well if somebody replaced him, I won't mind and miss him at all haha

I wonder, just a very hypothetical thing, what if Kenny Leckremo fronted this band ? I like him better and will more people love VEGA since I read that some complaints about Nick's vocal. What do you think man ?

Aargh! I hate criticism of Workman's voice. Hate it! I agree with Glen that it's what makes Vega Vega. It'd be like saying, "Vain would be a lot better if Davy Vain wasn't their lead singer." Horrible, horrible statements.

I'll say it anywhere and everywhere, but the first thing that ever stood out about the band 'Kick' was Nick Workman's voice. I loved it from the moment I heard 'Consider This...' and I've loved it since. It's such a distinct, unique voice. You don't ever catch yourself saying "Oh, that guys sounds like Nick Workman." Because no one else does.

And he is a great song writer too. It's hard to tell with the Martin guys in the band who is responsible for the majority of the song writing brilliance, but I'm sure Workman plays a significant role. Replacing him in the band would undoubtedly be the end of Vega. I'd take Workman of Leckremo (who I do like) easily, 10 out of 10 times.

Funny is while many don't like Davy Vain's vocal, I find him not irritating at all haha unique and enjoyable, maybe that also goes with Dave Mustaine's vocal haha but Nick's wail is definitely not a favourite, he's okay at normal range even though not outstanding.

Personally I think if he's gone and replaced, I think VEGA can move out just fine, at least that's what VAN HALEN, H.E.A.T, AC/DC, and many other bands did. He ain't no Freddy Mercury or Axl Rose, now that's the singer that really defines the band

But haven't checked out the songwriting credits, were all songs written by the brothers ?

If Nick's showmanship is excellent and also can write songs then he's very good at what he's doing then couple more plus points for him :)

• 1 year later...