Tesla - Simplicity

Stefan

Now THIS is the kinda Tesla I like!!!!!

There's been some comment that the opening riff sounds like Winger's Madalaine but meh, only takes a few seconds to kick in and So Divine is already one of my fave Tesla tunes since they reformed.

Great song :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on a site I go to from Japan that their release will include 2 bonus tracks, one being Taste My Pain + a demo track. Score! I was afraid Taste My Pain wouldn't be released on cd. Glad they are doing it!

• 2 weeks later...

So onto my third of fourth listen. The songs are bedding in. This is very very good.

Edit:

Been listening to it all day. Well except for my 2 hour catnap (Rock and Roll!). Really enjoying it a lot. Ricochet and absolute fantastic track, up there with anything they've done. Many other fantastic tracks as well.

Looking forward to seeing what others think but this will be in my top 10 of the year for sure.

I also like this new album. Style wise, I think it's a border between Into The Now and Forever More with about 20-25% classic flavor thrown in, and looks like TESLA is playing with more laid back tracks, some songs have the TOM KEIFER solo vibe, anyone spotted this ? Interesting stuff and musically, they're always solid. Production is also very good so all in all, I'm happy with this result although I expect more classic touch instead of post-2000 sound.

I rated it around 83% and I guess will bounce around that after more spins

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I didn't like it much first listen. However I owe a band that I love this much their entire career more spins because I had the same issue with Into the Now (which I absolutely love now). Forevermore was catchier for me at first but still some that needed more spins. I have spun this one five times now and love it. It's different but there are going to be some memorable tunes on here. This has been such a great band with not one bad album. Try to pick a favorite....

I have to say I didn't like it much first listen. However I owe a band that I love this much their entire career more spins because I had the same issue with Into the Now (which I absolutely love now). Forevermore was catchier for me at first but still some that needed more spins. I have spun this one five times now and love it. It's different but there are going to be some memorable tunes on here. This has been such a great band with not one bad album. Try to pick a favorite....

We agree again.

To me, it's just too mellow.... too many slow tracks.........

I like this disc, without loving it. I really dig 'Honestly,' 'Break of dawn' (wish there were more like this one on here!) and 'Burnout to fade.'

I'd agree that I think the disc is a little too mellow and I have become accustomed to harder rocking material from Tesla in the past, and I guess I expected it again here. These guys don't really know how to write bad songs, as such, so it's not a disaster, but I doubt that anyone would argue that this is the weakest disc in the Tesla discography, quite easily. And I love Jeff Keith's voice, but wow it sounds, uh, "unique" on some of these songs. I put myself in the position of someone listening to this band for the first time ever, and what they'd make of some of the vocals. It'd be a trip, I dare say. We know and like the guy, but I think he's definitely aging.

Yeah maybe you cut a ballad or two but at the end of the day there is only one song I don't like and love all of the rest and with each spin it gets better so I'm happy with this album and will continue to play it.

ok,

1. its looooong

2. bit too soft

3. he sounds like an aging frog in places

4. cant deny that ive fallen asleep once of twice in the middle of the album............

but having said that I like the album.....needs many more spins to fully digest.

It's Tesla. It's never going to be bad but it is a bit softer than some of their stuff. I still like it.

However , please, let that be the single ever friendly dog bark on a hard rock album.

Psychotic Supper had a dog bark :)

I understand why people are saying "soft" but it's not really the case. The Japanese press has 16 tracks including Take My Pain. It's pretty balanced out and honestly, a softer track from Tesla is still a good track. I'm telling you, spin it 4-5 times and it will start to set in for you. The flow of the album is pretty nice actually.

• 4 years later...

Interesting read almost 5 years later. First 2 singles had very exiting reviews ant hten as the people got the whole album some complaints started coming, but also not that critical.   

But readsing the Shock thread there is nothin but bad words about Simplicity. I dont get It why , there are songs on it that I would put into Tesal best of like Honestly, Burnout ot fade, Time Bomb, Rise and Fall, Break of Dawn.  And many solid songs like mp3,  Other than me, So divine, Life is a river...