Wigelius - Tabula Rasa

Stefan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wigelius is up there with the H.E.A.T and W.O.A of the Swedish AOR world. This will start off brilliantly my 2016 just like Find Me and Khymera will end my 2015.

• 1 month later...
  • My Little Pony

So far, I can see myself placing an order for this (+ Nordic Union) from my favorite Taiwanese mailorder!

Is there a cheap supplier in Taiwan?

I read a comment online this morning, someone saying that aside from 'Time Well Wasted' the album was a bit of a disappointment.

Odd comment really when 'Please, Please, Please', 'Tears That I Cry', 'Run To Me' all sound very similar and as good (perhaps not quite as heavy hitting).

Finally.....

After my first spin I'm not exactly blown away....maybe because I'm very familiar with half the songs on the release, with even some that I've known for nearly two years.

Having waited so long for everything to come together kinda diminished my excitement. With that being said, I know this will end up being a quality release that I'll be spinning for months to come.

The weakest thing this band does are ballads. Again like on the debut the ballads are the weakest tracks. However neither of the ballads (9 Out Of 10 and Ma Chérie) on Tabula Rasa are nearly as bad as the track 'There Is No More Me Without You' from the debut. That song was so fucking bad that it nearly put me off the entire release...lucky me I was mature enough to simply use the skip button.

I skipped through it once. What i heard sounded good (ballads aside...cringe) but none of the songs i hadnt heard didnt sound as good as the ones i already had heard....if that makes sense.

Which always leave me kinda deflated.

Looking forward to spinning it again though.

I think it's a great disc. I 100% agree with what Dave's saying. Having heard so many of the songs and having heard them for so many years too, it's hardly like hearing a new album, so that element of surprise is stolen for the most part.

But, I was loving what I was hearing. I definitely didn't hear any weak songs at all, and I feel like once this gets a bunch of spins and it's enjoyed as a full album of equal songs, it'll no doubt be hard to beat this year.

• My Little Pony

I think it's a great disc. I 100% agree with what Dave's saying. Having heard so many of the songs and having heard them for so many years too, it's hardly like hearing a new album, so that element of surprise is stolen for the most part.

Very true; however, Care of Night did not suffer from this. I played the shit outta the EP. All four of those tracks were on the LP, but the new material was just as strong, in some cases stronger.

I skipped through it once. What i heard sounded good (ballads aside...cringe) but none of the songs i hadnt heard didnt sound as good as the ones i already had heard....if that makes sense.

Which always leave me kinda deflated.

Looking forward to spinning it again though.

No it doesnt make any sense at all ;)

Set me Free is great.

The only one i dont like is the closing ballad. Great album apart from that.

I only love 4 tracks from it. I won't buy it. And no way is better than COP.

Btw, what did they want yesterday news? They didn't think that fans subconsciously would compare it with Europe's homonym magnum opus (which imo made gnroses, winery dogs completely obsolete) and laugh at it? Justified only if it's a joke on fox news. :tumbsup:

I burned a cd for the car with my favourite 8 tracks from each of the two releases. Both Old and New stuff sound good, but I think I prefer the debut more.

The debut has a harder melodic rock sound, while the new one is more Westcoast/pop on some of the tracks.

Unless 2016 is a dud, something tells me Tabula Rasa will unlikely be in my top ten.

I listened to the debut over the weekend

There are probably about 4-5 really great tracks on that album.....3 or 4 more average tunes and a couple of cringe worthy ballads.

I think I prefer the newie if I'm honest.

I listened to the debut over the weekend

There are probably about 4-5 really great tracks on that album.....3 or 4 more average tunes and a couple of cringe worthy ballads.

I think I prefer the newie if I'm honest.

My initial impression was that I preferred the new one too. Production on the debut was excellent, but the production on the new one is major label quality. Add to that a good handful or really stunning tunes, I think I'd favour the new one. I look forward to playing them back to back though.

My favorite tracks are on the newest. Although I wished they were just a little bit heavier with more channels for the guitars. Still solos, licks, hidden melodies + choruses-hooks rule majorly.

These instantly are all 90-99/100 songs for me. The others need more excavation.

Déjà Vu

These Tears I Cry

Set Me Free

Run With Me

9/10

Please Please Please

Also, doing some mental accounting provided me the best self excuse to buy this; I won't get Nordic Union.

• 3 weeks later...

Just listened to this and Google Play was on shuffle and threw up a random play list - made me realise that the track order is not the best - anyone else feel this.

I liked the fact that it threw up the harder hitting 'Time Well Wasted' as track 2 - it seemed to fit and gave the start more life. Bizarrely it still stuck 'Ma Cherie' at the end??? Weird eh.

Anyhow here's the order it came -

1. Same

2. Time Well Wasted

3. Set Me Free

4. Yesterdays News

5. Tears I Cry

6. Long Way

7. Deja Vu

9. Please Please Plaese

9. Love is The Key

10. 9 out of 10

11. Run With Me

12. Ma Cherie

Still not perfect maybe, but seemed to flow a bit better for me.

Any thoughts ??

Great album by the way.

It's growing on me more and more.

Still would have loved a few more punchier tracks like Time Well Wasted instead Ma Cherie or 9 out of 10.