Robby Valentine - Bizarro World

Stefan

I was going to post this news up when there was more info. Looks like it will defo be released later in the year. Robby is doing a couple of gigs in May I think, including some of the new material in the set. His last couple of releases have been really strong, as is most of his back catalogue, so really looking forward to this one.

Anybody who is interested, he is currently in a band called Aniday who have just released their debut album. If you like Robby's stuff, then I advise you to check it out, as it has some great songs on it, Excellent stuff indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He's incredibly talented but sure the songs are for acquired taste, very Queen and symphonic, and maybe a bit like MUSE this new album

Muse are bit like him you mean ;-)

Agreed he is an acquired taste.....not sure i could sit through a whole album of this....too OTT.

Had the same problem with the Incura album.

• 2 months later...

10635775_295927613946861_597215384874656

From FB:

So... Most of the people who sponsored the release of Bizarro World should receive their cd today (at least, when you live in The Netherlands). Please share your thoughts, first impressions and feedback on Robby's first album of all-new material since 2007 in the comments below! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

The official release date for Robby's first album of new material in over 7 years is October 25, 2014. People who pre-ordered sponsor-packages did receive it a week early.

Various packages were available, with some packages including a bonus-disc filled with 16 demo's from 1989 and 1990 and an additional new track "Rock The World", recently recorded by Robby which may or may not end up on an album in the future.

"Bizarro World" was mainly recorded in 2010 and 2011, with various small modifications having been done since then. For example, the "Interlude Bizarre" introduction on the album was only recorded a few weeks ago.

1. Interlude Bizarre
2. Bizarro World
3. Rockstar
4. You're Tearing Me Down
5. Deadbeat Boy
6. Schizophonicated
7. Trip To The Moon
8. Close The Door
9. From Dusk Till Dawn
10. Save Our Souls
11. Black Rain
12. The Mistake

Die-hard Valentine followers will know that The Mistake originally appeared as a bonus-track on 2007's "Falling Down In Misanthropolis". This version is the same recording, but with a surprise at the end...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this for a good few days now and been spinning it on a daily basis.. 'Bizarro World' has got loads going on, the super slick Queen like harmonies and guitar parts, bombastic rock tunes ala The title track and 'Rockstar', the modern pop of 'You're Tearing Me Down' , which if pushed enough, could be a major hit single, power ballads ,'Close The Door' and 'My Mistake' , 2 excellent slower tracks that Robby always seems to master. 'Schizophonicated' is heavier again whilst 'From Dusk Till Dawn' takes us back to ultra commercial territory again, typically Valentine in sound with some major Queen touches in there, both excellent it has to be said, and there is still 'Trip To The Moon' and the mega catchy 'Black Rain' which are 2 of the strongest songs on the album.There ya go. one of the best albums of the year has arrived, although non Robby V fans will probably be left bemused as usual.

I pre-ordered direct from Robby via Simone from his email address/ web site. He sent out signed copies a week or so before the official release date and album launch gig last weekend

Ah! I see...I didn't ask for the signed version from the website so mine may well come later. Cheerz bud!

Simone just replied - missed my orig. email with receipt, sending it out today (hooray!)

• 2 weeks later...

Gave this a few proper listens, as I always do to his work. He's a frustrating guy, ol' Robby. The album gets off to a pretty decent start, with 'Rockstar' and 'You're tearing me down' both being pretty good after an average opener. But then, as always, there's a 'Deadbeat boy,' which I can't even listen to, it's that bad. Just shocking. And from there, the whole midsection of the album completely crumbles and it's only 'Close the door' somewhere in there that saves it from being a complete write off.

Thankfully, after what is basically a train wreck of an album at this point in time, he does actually try to reel it back in, saving the best for last. 'Save our souls' is solid, but it's the pretty delicious 'Black rain' which is an album highlight at the time, until the closing track trumps it. 'The mistake' is a killer ballad, and by far the best song on the album.

In the end I see the album as a shame. Like everything else he puts his name to, there is gold on here. But like all the others, the shit always outweighs the good, which is his major problem. So yeah, it's not a complete write off. It is exactly what you expect from Valentine, and you just have to decide if you're willing to endure the shit for the good stuff. ;)

Hmmmm.....I think to completely get into Robby's stuff you really need to have to be a bit of a Queen fan , especially the quirky stuff like 'Deadbeat Boy' which could have come off something like Queen's 'A Night At The Opera' opus. If you don't get that whole Queen/ Pomp thing going on, then I can see why (and understand) why a lot of RV's stuff wouldn't hit the mark and 'Bizarro World' is no different to all his other releases in that way. Personally, I think it's the best album I've heard this year and by quite some distance too, I love the variation, the wonderful musicianship and most importantly, I think all the songs and especially the arranging on here is outstanding, even 'Deadbeat Boy' fits into the whole concept of the album. Each to their own and all that, but it certainly ticks all the right boxes for me.

• My Little Pony

Hmmmm.....I think to completely get into Robby's stuff you really need to have to be a bit of a Queen fan , especially the quirky stuff like 'Deadbeat Boy' which could have come off something like Queen's 'A Night At The Opera' opus. If you don't get that whole Queen/ Pomp thing going on, then I can see why (and understand) why a lot of RV's stuff wouldn't hit the mark and 'Bizarro World' is no different to all his other releases in that way. Personally, I think it's the best album I've heard this year and by quite some distance too, I love the variation, the wonderful musicianship and most importantly, I think all the songs and especially the arranging on here is outstanding, even 'Deadbeat Boy' fits into the whole concept of the album. Each to their own and all that, but it certainly ticks all the right boxes for me.

I've never listened to this guy before, and, based off both Jezzer and Geoffrey's reviews, I probably should. How many albums does he have?

I've never listened to this guy before, and, based off both Jezzer and Geoffrey's reviews, I probably should. How many albums does he have?

He's got 10 studio discs including a brilliant 'Tribute To Queen' album, which if you're a Queen fan you must hear, plus a few compilation albums and some cool EP's as well. 'Androgenius' is a perfect introduction for you if you want a quick fix with an excellent compilation, but If you do search out his studio albums, I would tackle them in this order

Magic Infinity

S/T

Believing Is Seeing

Falling Down In Misanthropolis

Bizarro World

The Queen Album

4 United

Valentine

Most Beautiful Pain

No Sugar Added

I've recently updated his main page on HH with all the EP's and recent albums, so it is completely up to date

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=1197

Very happy listening ;)

• My Little Pony

He's got 10 studio discs including a brilliant 'Tribute To Queen' album, which if you're a Queen fan you must hear, plus a few compilation albums and some cool EP's as well. 'Androgenius' is a perfect introduction for you if you want a quick fix with an excellent compilation, but If you do search out his studio albums, I would tackle them in this order

Magic Infinity

S/T

Believing Is Seeing

Falling Down In Misanthropolis

Bizarro World

The Queen Album

4 United

Valentine

Most Beautiful Pain

No Sugar Added

I've recently updated his main page on HH with all the EP's and recent albums, so it is completely up to date

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=1197

Very happy listening ;)

Shit! I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend so much money.