Sebastian Bach - Give em hell

Captain Howdy

and as for women, the more you around someone the more they CAN become attractive. someone you first started working with you didn't find very attractive but as you work with them more and more you start to find that they become more attractive

And of course if you're drinking she looks hot by the end of the night!

Haha. Way true!! Or has big tatas. That helps!

Heh. You guys are ridiculous. ;}

That's metal!! \m/ \m/

Haha!!

And oh so true...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like this song. Cd is a grower, like all his stuff of late.

I don't believe in the whole "grower" bullshit. You listen to it and it's instantly a like or dislike. It doesn't all-of-the-sudden become awesome because you listened to it more often.

Wow mate that's just not true.

Loads upon loads of albums I can list where initially i didnt like the style / songs / whatever which have grown to be some of my most played albums!!

Let me give you some examples -

Winger - Pull

initially I hated this disc. Now i love it. why I cant really put my finger on - perhaps it was the slightly progressive nature, or not really appreciating the lyrics at first

Vain - No Respect

Hated it when released back in the day - mainly cos it just wasnt what I was into at the time. Now I love it with a passion.

Mastodon - III

Dismissed at first because it wasnt 'Its A Jungle Out There'.....true. In fact its a whole lot more - brilliant songwriting, great musicianship.

Mecca - Undeniable

Disimissed as being too soft....just didnt gel with me. Now i love the hooks on that album which really shone through with time

........the list is endless.

back on topic and as for the Bach album...I agree to a certain extent that it is a grower. First listens the songs all feel too samey, but with repeated listens you discern the different riffs and melodies in each song. They become more individual....if that makes sense.

My let down with this album is his vocals are just too weak across the whole piece.

Cheers

Back to this album's discussion, I'm not sure whether this going to be a grower or not, but I gave it a generous 64% and don't really intend to spin it again in the near future :(

this is more heavy metal than hard rock but the problem is it's kinda modern metal, probably the nu metal touch someone mentioned previously is true. I guess Skid Row's last EP is more enjoyable and probably the next EP is also still gonna be better than this one

I dont hear the nu metal references at all on this. Its just metal/hard rock, with the odd modern touch here and there.

I will admit the songs seem to lack instant hooks for the most part, but I certainly think it has potential to grow on me.

Hadnt realised beforehand that Steve Stevens is on this, and while I love the guitar, its a very different style for Steve, and I would be hard pressed to say I would have recognised his style on it had I not read the liner notes.

I don't believe in the whole "grower" bullshit. You listen to it and it's instantly a like or dislike. It doesn't all-of-the-sudden become awesome because you listened to it more often.

That's like dating a woman. You either like her personality and looks immediately or you don't. You don't suddenly love everything about her after a few dates.

I beg to differ. I have many albums in my collection that never appealed to me initially, but years later I tried them again and loved them. Peoples opinions change, as do tastes.

And its the same with women as well. People change, and quite often, the more you get to know someone the more you see in them that you like. Hell, I have known girls who I have disliked upon initially meeting them, only to either have them as great friends years later or even ask them out.

Everything in life, whether its music, movies or people can grow on you over time.

Am I likely to turn round one day and say I love The Darkness, no, but thats because I despise them. But an album/band that sounds ok can certainly get better with age or repeat listening.

I do believe in 'grower' type of album, and yes taste can change a lot during the years. We find many music that we used to like in our teenage years, suddenly we don't really dig today and vice versa, and that's normal I guess.

For me the perfect example is Trouble Walking by Ace Frehley. I bought that sometime around the time it came out, give or take a couple of years. Played it, thought it was ok but nothing special. Then decided to spin it a year or two later after reading an article about how Skid Row appeared on it, and I absolutely loved it. Maybe I wasnt listening properly the first time. Maybe my music taste had changed a bit in that time. Maybe it just needed repeat plays to dig into my brain. And this is why I never give up on an album after one spin unless its total dog shit.

I used to believe in growers, but through the years I have refined my tastes and definitely know asap whether I'll like a disc or not. The two most prolific discs that I did not like instantly were Vain's 'No Respect' and Roxx Gang's 'TYNDB.' Both are two of my all time favourites today. But that was back when I was just establishing what I liked out of the different hard rock genres.

Over the years that has become well refined and I know what I like and don't like now. And simply put, there's far too much music out there to waste time on growers anyway, because there are at least 100 more instantly good albums released that same week, if you have the time to find them.

I do disagree about the woman thing, though. Them things grow on you like no one's business. There's always got to be the instant attraction, of course, but if that's there initially, even if not too heavily, that shit can grow like wildfire the more you are around that lady, and agreed, ESPECIALLY if she has big cans. ;)

Anyway, in a nutshell, this album suck balls. Haha, I kid. That's harsh, but it's not very good. I found for the most part there was little or no distinction between verses and choruses. No moments. Very few backing vocals, and just no hooks. A couple of the ballads were kind of okay, but overall, it's just a solid hard rock disc with no real return spin value. I'd give it around the 70% mark. But not a good 70%... the average, I guess it's okay for what it is, not that I really want to ever play it again kind of 70%.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this a lot lately and while I prefer Angel Down and Kicking and Screaming overall there are at least 6-7 songs here I do like a lot and it is a grower type album and I love Bas' voice so I usually will buy about everything he puts out. I would have preferred he keep the Angel Down lineup but I know it's hard these days to keep bands much less solo lineups together. I often to wonder if he'd go to some of these newer bands(I doubt he's even aware of many of them) like Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx and co-write some songs with them. Now that would be interesting what they could come up with.