Winger - Better Days Comin'

Stefan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Pull is awesome though I still think Karma is their best and yes IV is their worst but still a solid album

+1

But Pull is sonically better

Yeah agree, but something good about Karma's production, looks like they tweak the upper-range or high area (not really understand about it) so when you push the volume higher, you don't hear the guitar and vocal shrill too much, so it's still very comfortable when played in a very high volume, and Karma shines when played very loud, really awesome !! But maybe when you played it with a low or mid volume, it sounds a little bit drowned maybe ? like there's a layer on top of it, it's hard to describe

I'll definitely check out this new Winger...they have a great track record.

To me, IV sounds like it was intended as a Kip solo album, as the writing seems more in line w/ his previous solo efforts. It sounds as if Rod & Reb were added to "beef it up" into a Winger album after the songs were already written. I could be wrong, obviously, but that's how it strikes me.

That said, I like it...but I also really liked Kip's solo stuff.

So what happened? Am I now the only person left who truly and deeply hates 'IV?' I'd rather drink my own urine than hear it again. Love the rest of their albums, with 'Pull' being my fave too, but I love the other 3.

As for the new tunes, 'Rat Race' sounds really really average but the rest sound killer. That 2nd tune is an old Winger tune, isn't it? The 4th one sounds familiar too. Maybe I'm just trippin'. I can't wait for the new disc anyway. Love 'Karma!'

So what happened? Am I now the only person left who truly and deeply hates 'IV?' I'd rather drink my own urine than hear it again. Love the rest of their albums, with 'Pull' being my fave too, but I love the other 3.

As for the new tunes, 'Rat Race' sounds really really average but the rest sound killer. That 2nd tune is an old Winger tune, isn't it? The 4th one sounds familiar too. Maybe I'm just trippin'. I can't wait for the new disc anyway. Love 'Karma!'

are you talking about the soundcloud clip? If you are, all the other songs from Karma. Rat Race is the only new song.

are you talking about the soundcloud clip? If you are, all the other songs from Karma. Rat Race is the only new song.

Exactly what I was about to say...

Press release from Frontiers Records http://www.frontiers.it/news/10706/

One of the most misunderstood Hard Rock bands to come out of the 80’s is returning with their first new album in 5 years. Winger is releasing Better Days Comin’ on April 18th in Europe and April 22nd in North America via Frontiers Records. The notorious band comprised of members Kip Winger on vocals/bass, Reb Beach on guitar, John Roth on guitar and Rod Morgenstein on drums, are back with their latest album. The album is available for pre-order on Amazon.com in a standard (http://smarturl.it/WNGR_AmzCD) and deluxe configuration (http://smarturl.it/WNGR_AmzDLX). The deluxe edition comes in a glossy digipak and includes the bonus track “Another Beautiful Day” and a DVD including a Making of the Album documentary as well as videos for the first single “Rat Race” and title track “Better Days Comin'.” An iTunes pre-order will be available soon. The band has always been known for their incredible musicianship and the trend continues on Better Days Comin’.

"On Better Days Comin’ we drew from our past to elaborate on our future. The band is stronger than ever and very excited about the music on this record,” explains front man Kip Winger. “We feel this album exemplifies the true sound of the band in every way."

From the opening riff of album opener “Midnight Driver of a Love Machine” to the final outro lick of “Out Of This World,” it is clear Winger is back and better than ever. Hard rocking songs like “Queen Babylon,” progressive rock movements like “Tin Soldier,” and touching ballads like “Ever Wonder” show the band’s diversity while always centering on great songs. The debut single from Better Days Comin’ is the adrenaline fueled rocker “Rat Race” that showcases some of the band’s best work of their 25 year career.

The track listing for Better Days Comin’ is:

1) Midnight Driver of a Love Machine
2) Queen Babylon
3) Rat Race
4) Better Days Comin’
5) Tin Soldier
6) Ever Wonder
7) So Long China
8) Storm In Me
9) Be Who You Are, Now
10) Another Beautiful Day (Deluxe Edition Bonus Track)
11) Out Of This World

Winger formed in the late 1980’s and soared to immediate success with their 1988 self-titled release. The album spawned the hit singles “Seventeen” and “Headed For A Heartbreak” and achieved platinum sales status. Winger also stayed on the Billboard Top 200 chart for over 60 weeks where it peaked at #21. Their next album, In The Heart Of The Young, also achieved platinum status behind the singles “Can’t Get Enuff” and “Miles Away.” The change in musical climate of the mid-90’s, compounded with unprovoked ridicule on MTV’s popular Beavis and Butthead, led the band to go on hiatus in 1994. In 2001, the band reunited and have not looked back since. Winger has made a name for themselves with relentless touring, while winning back fans and critics alike because of their exceptional musicianship, Kip Winger’s powerful vocals and the band’s incredible songwriting.

Exactly what I was about to say...

And how can anyone say it sounds average from a 20 sec clip of the verse?? Weird comment.

Rat race sounds like a continuation of karma to me - sure the new album will be intelligent and killer.

I'm also surprised that someone would say that Rat race was average, then say they love Karma, yet not recognise any of the songs when they played ... ha ha.

Yeah but despite claiming to love Karma I bet he hasnt listened to it for at least 3 years

I'm also surprised that someone would say that Rat race was average, then say they love Karma, yet not recognise any of the songs when they played ... ha ha.

Yeah but despite claiming to love Karma I bet he hasnt listened to it for at least 3 years

And that is the sad truth of my current music listening situation. Which is why I'm spending 2-3 hours every night at the moment listing CDs on ebay. I just have way too much music and need to cull it down severely to only the ones I need.

I can verify I've not heard 'Karma' since the year it was released. Doesn't mean I don't like it, though. Hell, I'd have classic CDs in my collection that I haven't heard for over 5 years - I bet a lot of us would. It's just because I have too many to listen to.

I do have a very big, long winded plan to get a better grasp on the music I need to be hearing, whilst getting rid of the stuff I don't need... but it'll take a hell of a long time.

As for making a call on 'Rat Race,' Give me a 5 second clip of a song like that and I'll call it a filler without batting an eyelid. That's the type of song 80's hard rock bands used to throw on the end of a CD (or if you're Van Halen, sprawl them out across the whole CD) just as a kind of throwaway jam tune. Always hated those songs, and that's what that one is. I don't think the album will be anything like that and I'll bet it's the weakest song, but it is what it is. Just calling it how I see it. ;)

yeah OK, but you cant say you love Karma and then say you hate the sound of Rat Race because its sounds exactly the same as half the tracks on Karma!!

On the subject of too much music to listen to - here's a recommendation - use that 5 second clip gift of yous and dont bother reveiwing the 200+ complete waste of time releases that you seem hell intend on hearing every year! lol

Just an idea ;-))

yeah OK, but you cant say you love Karma and then say you hate the sound of Rat Race because its sounds exactly the same as half the tracks on Karma!!

On the subject of too much music to listen to - here's a recommendation - use that 5 second clip gift of yous and dont bother reveiwing the 200+ complete waste of time releases that you seem hell intend on hearing every year! lol

Just an idea ;-))

I do use my gifts on the shit CDs and therefore discard them quickly, but sadly there were still a couple of hundred CDs I rated over 70% (my cut-off) last year, which are worth a moment of my time at least.

I'd love to be able to miss out on heaps of shit and not care, but I'm too nosy. I know that no one on this forum even heard the 3 best songs of 2013 ('Follow You,' 'Weight for you,' and 'Knew Your Name' all by Thief Club) and I'd rather sift through 200 horrible albums and have these three songs in my collection, than not bother with all I can and miss out on three tunes I will treasure dearly (plus the rest of the EP). I've played this EP more in the last 3 months than anything released all year in 2013 and if I wasn't such a nosy bastard it would have completely passed me by.

Calculated risks, my good man.

As for the Winger song. No issue with the style or sound or anything. It's just a weak song. It happens. Like I said, I'm sure the rest will be great.

Just an idea ;-))

I do use my gifts on the shit CDs and therefore discard them quickly, but sadly there were still a couple of hundred CDs I rated over 70% (my cut-off) last year, which are worth a moment of my time at least.

I'd love to be able to miss out on heaps of shit and not care, but I'm too nosy. I know that no one on this forum even heard the 3 best songs of 2013 ('Follow You,' 'Weight for you,' and 'Knew Your Name' all by Thief Club) and I'd rather sift through 200 horrible albums and have these three songs in my collection, than not bother with all I can and miss out on three tunes I will treasure dearly (plus the rest of the EP). I've played this EP more in the last 3 months than anything released all year in 2013 and if I wasn't such a nosy bastard it would have completely passed me by.

Calculated risks, my good man.

As for the Winger song. No issue with the style or sound or anything. It's just a weak song. It happens. Like I said, I'm sure the rest will be great.

yeah granted but you also spent 6 months sifting through Crap, when you could have been listening to awesome albums like Karma ;-)

Personally 3 great songs for 6 months of pain sounds like a bad deal to me.....hey ho.

[PS shouldn't it be 'Wait For You'....or is that a play on words suggesting a fat bird?]

But you make out like I spend hours (or months - seriously, 6 months???!!! Where'd you get that from?) on the crap. A terrible album takes up maybe 5-10 minutes of my life in total. It's more a case of keeping record of what's good and bad so I don't make the same mistake and repeat stuff. It's not a detailed science when it comes to any album I rate less than 70%.

To put it in perspective. The amount of time I have spent playing and replaying the Thief Club EP would amount to the time I took to make up my mind about 50-100 rubbish discs. Those 50-100 pieces of rubbish are out of my life for good, whereas I'll have Thief Club songs playing at my funeral (jokes, but they'll be played till the end of time is what I am saying).

And yeah, it is 'Weight for you;' a play on words.

Like I said above I do have a plan so that the 'Karma's of the world will get more plays in my world. Sadly it's not a short term plan.

Gotta be honest, though. If new music was never recorded again after tomorrow I'd be pretty happy. Already enough great stuff out there.