JULIAN ANGEL'S BEAUTIFUL BEAST - Kick Down The Barricades (2014)

AlphaMale

Man I hate to be harsh because I appreciate what the point of this project is, but he was at a crossroads for this album, imo. The first album was a winner, a sweet breath of fresh air. The follow-up was basically, a big dud. So this was always going to show what the kid was made of, and if he'd go the route of the good debut, or spiral downwards with another album like the second one.

And sadly, the downward spiral is where this one is at. Meek, meek song writing, fillers everywhere - even the commercial / melodic songs just sound bored and contrived. Yeah, sorry guys, did not get into this one at all. Very weak album.

Man I hate to be harsh because I appreciate what the point of this project is, but he was at a crossroads for this album, imo. The first album was a winner, a sweet breath of fresh air. The follow-up was basically, a big dud. So this was always going to show what the kid was made of, and if he'd go the route of the good debut, or spiral downwards with another album like the second one.

And sadly, the downward spiral is where this one is at. Meek, meek song writing, fillers everywhere - even the commercial / melodic songs just sound bored and contrived. Yeah, sorry guys, did not get into this one at all. Very weak album.

I have to agree with you Geoff. That isn't my review. I got that from the interwebs from somebody who obviously loved this pile of doodoo.

The song writing here is the main fault. Just seems thrown together and definitely contrived. Pretty disappointing and thrown into the "never listen to again" column.

• My Little Pony

You guys are lame.

Julian is throwing down some quality rock n roll in an age where Pherrell and Maclamore rise like cream to the top you discourage and nit pick keepers of the flame.

Poo poo on you.

I get what you're saying, Terry, but Pharrell and Mackelmore are two of the few talented artists on the radio. I agree, though; we need to be more supportive of these young "keepers of the flame."

You guys are lame.

Julian is throwing down some quality rock n roll in an age where Pherrell and Maclamore rise like cream to the top you discourage and nit pick keepers of the flame.

Poo poo on you.

I get what you're saying, Terry, but Pharrell and Mackelmore are two of the few talented artists on the radio. I agree, though; we need to be more supportive of these young "keepers of the flame."

Those 2 were just in my mind as they were on the Grammys. :)

Mac is a local representing the 206 and name dropping Mix A Lot so he can't be all that bad...

The flame is being well and truly kept alit (by good bands), and there will be at least 2-300 better CDs than this in 2014 alone. :( Sorry mate.

I totally respect Julian and all the effort he puts into his stuff, but I've got to agree, that 'Break Down The Barricades' (like the last abum to a certain degree) is lacking in the songs department.

I actually couldn't finish listening to the first album, so never parted with the cash for the next one (with so many great releases available around that time). I found the first disc way too simple,ie in a way that gave hair metal a bad name. Are the follow up discs the same?

I actually couldn't finish listening to the first album, so never parted with the cash for the next one (with so many great releases available around that time). I found the first disc way too simple,ie in a way that gave hair metal a bad name. Are the follow up discs the same?

2nd disc was absolutely dreadful and this one isn't much better.

Yep, the first is definitely the pick of the bunch, so if you didn't dig that, avoid the hell out the other two. Alpha, you like the new one better than 'California Suntan?' I basically hate the new one, if I'm being honest, but I thought there were one or two good songs still on the last one. Now that I think of it, wasn't the best song on there a bonus track outtake from the debut?

Yep, the first is definitely the pick of the bunch, so if you didn't dig that, avoid the hell out the other two. Alpha, you like the new one better than 'California Suntan?' I basically hate the new one, if I'm being honest, but I thought there were one or two good songs still on the last one. Now that I think of it, wasn't the best song on there a bonus track outtake from the debut?

Yup... exactly right. That disc might have had 2 okay songs but I didn't dig the rest at all. And yes, the bonus track was from the first disc, which is probably why we liked it. :D

Well it ain't that bad for me though, but too many POISON riffs style here and there, and maybe couple of MOTLEY rips. I like 'Bad Boys Never Dance' and the title track, and the ballad 'The Night Cries For You' is also nice. I guess around 70-75 will be okay

• 3 years later...

Not sure how or when I ended up with this album, but I gave it a spin.
I think I may have lumped this in with Johnny Lima or Jamie Allen because they all start with J

Anyway, it certainly isn't close to those releases.
Musically it's ok/good, but the vocals kill it.
What a terrible voice for a singer.
People probably said the same about Stephen Pearcy, Lemmy and Axl etc but for me this is a bridge too far. :(