Brother Firetribe

Y&TForever

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really good, but after one spin, I don't think it's as good as the first two releases. Those are two of my top 10 releases of the past 10 years. I'm sure it will grow on me like crazy.

Why does the track Tired Of Dreaming sound so damn familiar, is it a cover or have they done this one before? I knew all the lyrics.

Figured it out....it's a track from The Magnificent. No crap it sounded familiar, my fav release of 2011...by a mile.

Sounds really good, but after one spin, I don't think it's as good as the first two releases. Those are two of my top 10 releases of the past 10 years. I'm sure it will grow on me like crazy.

Why does the track Tired Of Dreaming sound so damn familiar, is it a cover or have they done this one before? I knew all the lyrics.

Figured it out....it's a track from The Magnificent. No crap it sounded familiar, my fav release of 2011...by a mile.

Agreed its not as immediate as their previous releases but its still pretty lush AOR.

Dare I say 'a grower' lol.

Shame about Tired Of Dreamin - who wrote that??

Man, I do NOT want to wait another month to get high-rez audio of this. It doesn't look like Spinefarm has started any U.S. promotions of this yet. :(

(The streaming link above is enough to get the flavor, but is obviously demo material or it was being recorded in a live setting... the audio on the Youtube video is considerably better quality.)

• My Little Pony

It's full length, but there is a definite difference in SQ between that and the video on Youtube. The streaming version sounds like it is overly compressed.

Perfect example of why I generally don't listen to music on my phone. I couldn't tell if it was my speakers or not.

Here is my track by track rating

01. Intro (it's short and has keys, all good)

02. Love's Not Enough (solid first track, a good chorus and a great tempo) 9/10

03. Far Away from Love (the chorus is simply glorious) 10/10

04. For Better or for Worse (I pick 'For Better'....awesome song) 9.5/10

05. Desperately (softer track that is simply stunning) 9.5/10

06. Edge Of Forever (more up tempo/keyboard glory, pure BF) 9.5/10

07. Hanging by a Thread (mid tempo track that is solid, but not that memorable. Reminds me of songs like 'Lights' from Journey) 8/10

08. Trail of Tears (another up tempo gem, great chorus with cool guitar in it) 9.5/10

09. Winner Takes It All (OK cover, doesn't really fit, but still solid) 8/10

10. Tired of Dreaming (cover of the Magnificent track from 2011, I slightly prefer the original version because the sound was beefier, but the song is awesome and BF do it justice. I would have loved to hear BT do a cover of The Magnificent track Memories, it would have been spectacular) 9/10

11. Reality Bites (surprise! another awesome up tempo track... should have been the closer) 9.5/10

12. Close To the Bone (A groovy mid tempo track that is solid but not a highlight) 7.5/10

Around 90% for a final rating.

This is possibly my favorite of my personal big three releases so far this year (including the H.E.A.T. and Steel Panther)

I'll most likely spin this one the most often. The H.E.A.T. will also get lots of playback. As for the Steel Panther, I won't play it as often, got to be in a certain mood and I need my headphones to play it...my wife would kill me if I didn't wear them.

Sammy Hagar cover

Two spins in and I rated it around 90% like Dave, came in second in my top 10, slightly better than CONFESS and still can't beat H.E.A.T on top.

I guess the new album is a bit safer, less adventurous in terms of arrangement, well almost all songs work fine but don't understand why with the two covers instead of originals, kinda weird indeed

Lookin forward to see how WORK OF ART do this year

I forgot about WOA....yeah! That one could find its way to the top, I think there is still some room.

I totally agree, the new BF is kind of playing it safe, the H.E.A.T. on the other hand certainly takes more chances.

Two cover tunes is weird after not releasing a new album in 6 years. But only us hardcore Melodic Rock fans would have known or figured it out with the track Tired Of Dreaming. That one fits perfectly, however the Hagar cover is just OK and would have been better as a bonus track.

Well well, what a surprise this one is. Did not see this one coming at all. Really interesting album.

It's funny, if I'd ever have made any predictions about this band and what they'd do next, I'd have guess they'd go the other way - more hard rock and less AOR, rather than what they've done here. To these ears, what it sounds like to me is that the guys have tried to record a CD full of 'One single breath' and 'Wildest dream's. Which is not a bad thing.

Almost completely, they have ditched the harder rocking sound of the tracks that for the most part dominated their first two discs, where the real pure AOR was only reserved for a handful of songs.

Off the bat, my first "issue" with the new direction is that the band seem to have gone for a "thinner" sound to match their lighter AOR approach. Don't get me wrong, the CD is still very well produced, but they seem to have taken the "oomph" out of the drums and rhythm section in general, to cater for the new softer sound. It still sounds good, but I prefer their previous "beefier" sound.

Also, in doing what they've done here - filling the album with pure AOR from the first to last note - they've kind of taken the edge off the quality of the songs a little, imo. On the previous discs, 'One single breath' and 'Wildest dreams' were like naked women in a room full of fat nude dudes. On this disc, it's full of nude ladies and they're all nice and all as sexy as each other. But nothing really stands out this time, because it's all similar and nice. Which is not a bad thing, not at all. But it's a very different vibe. And for the record, I don't think any of the new songs are as good as 'One single breath' or 'Wildest dreams,' just imo.

Anyway, in saying all this, this will definitely be my favourite Brother Firetribe disc. It's extremely consistent and the only track that doesn't really work for me is 'Winner takes it all' - should have stuck with an original. Aside from that, it's all pretty great AOR. Early faves (though it's hard to pick 'em') are 'For better or for worse,' 'Hanging by a thread,' 'Trail of tears' and 'Reality bites.' This'll rate in the high 80's for me, I think.

oh so you think this one is better than the first two mate ?

i think i rated the debut around 92% and the second one around 90% so it's pretty equal with this third one, but let's see after 4-5 spins

oh so you think this one is better than the first two mate ?

i think i rated the debut around 92% and the second one around 90% so it's pretty equal with this third one, but let's see after 4-5 spins

Yeah, I do. Maybe I'll make this band my next rating project and pen a rating for all 3 discs, but for my tastes personally, neither of the first two were this consistently melodic/commercial/AOR-ish. It won't be for everyone, but like I was saying hard to pick stand out songs because they're all that same style of catchy AOR, which can never be a bad thing.

The first two were ballsier albums, probably technically better due to variety as well, but purely on a personal level, this album appeals to my senses most of all.