4. In This Light

5. Redemption

6. Vindication

7. Midnight Lullaby

8. A World Without

9. Don't Look Back

10. Fallout

11. Open Road

I guess no topic for this particular album so I think I need to create one. Well, this band didn't really excite me at all even since the Empire days but the Geoff Tate conflict in the last few years bring me to my attention and I'm interested to check this one out as many positive reviews all over the net and based on only single spin, I say this is better than what I'm expected, which is above mediocre, and in fact, is a good prog/heavy metal album which reminds me of their Empire-Promised Land era, guess it even fits in between

La Torre himself sounds very similar to Geoff Tate, and this what makes this album even more appealing to the old fans maybe. The first two tracks after the X2 intro are my faves. 'Where Dreams Go To Die' started slow before pacing up at the chorus and also very melodic. 'Spore' is heavier, the chorus is delicate and lovable. 'In This Light' is still a good track, need to spend more time to enjoy this. The next two are still doubting, 'Redemption' and 'Vindication' are almost average, and 'A World Without' is maybe the weakest track.

'Don't Look Back' bounced back perfectly, a solid 8/10 heavy metal tune, and followed by 'Fall Out' which is also a traditional heavy metal track and closed with the slow track, 'Open Road'. My complaint is the album is way too short for such a prog/heavy album, they need to maybe throw 2 or 3 more tracks maybe. Production is around 7, musicianship is 8.5, and replay value I guess should fall around 7 or 7.5. Overall, a surprisingly good result from the Ryche camp, although it maybe not as great as many had written.

75%

I don't have the CD yet but I've listened to it a bunch of times on Spotify. I'm diggin' it. Not a mind blowing genre-redefining piece or anything, but a solid return to form by a band that had a lot to prove.

Its first-week sales beat the pants off of Geoff TateRyche's Frequency Unknown too... there's some vindication for'em.

It's an excellent album, short yes, but I don't get bored like I did wile trying to get through Empire. (ie:Della Brown or most of Anybody Listening?) At first the length of the album and songs bothered me, but not anymore.

i listened to one track from the S/T and then one track from FU and the S/T is so much better to my ears. I think i would have preferred the S/T to have some faster songs and be a little longer in length but this is a great first step after moving on from Tate.

• My Little Pony

It's an excellent album, short yes, but I don't get bored like I did wile trying to get through Empire. (ie:Della Brown or most of Anybody Listening?) At first the length of the album and songs bothered me, but not anymore.

I like both of those songs, but I get what you mean. They're definitely a change of pace.

Where Dreams Go To Die - 9.5/10
Spore - 8/10
In This Light - 8.5/10
Redemption - 8/10
Vindication - 9/10
A World Without - 7/10
Don't Look Back - 8/10
Fallout - 9.5/10
Open Road - 7.5/10

A very good album and one that pisses from a great height from the Tate's 'Frequency Unknown' release. Fave tracks 'In This Light' and 'Open Road', although there are a good few others that pass muster too.

• 1 month later...

Finally got this disc last week... me likee... much better than Tate's P.O.S. :banger:

• My Little Pony

Finally got this disc last week... me likee... much better than Tate's P.O.S. :banger:

You ain't never lie. I haven't even given Geoff's attempt a listen, but I know it won't hold a candle to this.

• 1 month later...