Glam City

Back in the 80’s it seemed every city had a scene. Now it appears there isn’t a city with a scene. My thought is why can’t we make our own? There has to be one out there willing to foster it. I would be willing to relocate to such a place if others were willing to help make it a reality. Would it actually be possible to create a place that supported AOR, hard rock, glam and sleaze? I’m not sure if anyone else has ever brought this up before, but it is definitely something worth discussing.

I thought we already have every city and town in Sweden for that ?

I mean, I guess 1 in every 5 people there know how to sing and play music I guess and the rest 4 are the fans :D

I was hoping for something in the continental US. There has to be a place that supports local music and would be open to glam. I think you are right glam_junkie. Most people only care about big bands. That certainly applies to Tulsa. They would rather watch a cover band butcher the latest radio hit than give a local original band a thought. That is the reason music is dying.

• My Little Pony

Americans are to fickle, plastic, fake etc... Never see anything like that unless you start some sort of glam rock commune out in the sticks somewhere... Maybe out at Dave LV KIX place?

Let's just say North Americans, 'cause us Canadians can be little bitches, too.

people have gotta go and check out the local bands for there to be a scene.

there's not point in people just going to check out the big bands and then ignoring the local stuff.

As long as there are some decent local bands around. It's a bit 'chicken and egg' really.

I have no idea whether there's any kind of 'scene' in London...

• 2 weeks later...

Americans are to fickle, plastic, fake etc... Never see anything like that unless you start some sort of glam rock commune out in the sticks somewhere... Maybe out at Dave LV KIX place?

I've devoted a ton of time over the last year or so into booking hard rock, metal, glam, and AOR bands within a 150 mile area from where I live. That includes some pretty big cities... Baltimore, Philly, Dover, Wash DC, and Winchester to name a few. It is nearly impossible to find clubs willing to book these types of bands. Most clubs are not willing to pay bands even enough to make travel possible. A few clubs that will give bands a chance only pay the bands what they collect at the door. The problem with that is that the clubs don't even help promote these shows.. they expect the bands to promote on their own.

Within the last couple of years I have brought bands like Streetlight Circus, Wildstreet, Station, and Diemonds to the Maryland area. I have plans to bring Julliet's Vice (confirmed), Nasty Habits, and The Beautifully Demolished to the area. In some cases I am able to get these bands headline gigs, and in other cases they open for "major" acts. Trust me when I tell you that bands like this make next to nothing when all is said and done.. it isn't easy to play shows outside of your hometown. If any of you do attend shows by any of these younger bands that are traveling to play.. make sure you buy a CD or a shirt from them.. that is where they pay for their everyday needs such as food and hotels.

As far a the "bigger" and somewhat established bands.. the Baltimore area still gets a good number of shows. Bands such as L.A. Guns, Mike Tramp, Doro, Warrior Soul, Crashdiet, and Lillian Axe have been here over the last half a year or so. Coming up in the near future are Steelheart, Leatherwolf, Vain, and Killer Dwarfs. Aslo we have ROCK HARVEST II which features a ton af acts.. Ron Keel, Tango Down, Leatherwolf, London, Mystic Force, Raven, Mitch Malloy, King Kobra, Deathriders, Silent Rage, Modern Superstar, Femme Fatale, Spread Eagle, Hurricane, Liberty N' Justice, Michael Angelo Batio, Love/Hate, Tuff, Benedictum, Heathen, White Wizzard, Twisted Tower Dire, Flotsam and Jetsam, Circle II Circle... and looks like I will finally meet the one and only Pete Fry as FarCry is scheduled to play also. They continue to add more artist to this event all the time.

Of course we have the bigger headline bands come to towm.. Alice Cooper, Fleetwood Mac,Cheap Trick..etc.. And KIX plays the area about 10 times per year. Rumor of a Wrathchild (America) reunion has been spreading like wildfire.. but I happen to know the chance is very small.

So Jacob.. you find the "city" and I'll book the bands...

• 2 weeks later...

My lease is up in November. When that happens I plan to move. I would prefer to end up somewhere that has a decent music scene. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I like where I live. I just need a change of scenery. It's not like I've had a ton of time to check out the local stuff over the last couple years, but even when I did it's not like there was much going on anyway. I've just been trying to grind it out in that hell hole called Walmart. I really miss live music and would like to be involved with it again. I doubt anything will develop even if I stick around here.

What's sad is that I was about to begin a project with a friend from work. He's a local drummer who was in the scene back in the 80's and early 90's. He left Walmart to start a new job and I haven't heard from him since. I can't blame him for not coming back to say hey. If we're not working on the project I have no reason to stay.

• My Little Pony

My lease is up in November. When that happens I plan to move. I would prefer to end up somewhere that has a decent music scene. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I like where I live. I just need a change of scenery. It's not like I've had a ton of time to check out the local stuff over the last couple years, but even when I did it's not like there was much going on anyway. I've just been trying to grind it out in that hell hole called Walmart. I really miss live music and would like to be involved with it again. I doubt anything will develop even if I stick around here.

What's sad is that I was about to begin a project with a friend from work. He's a local drummer who was in the scene back in the 80's and early 90's. He left Walmart to start a new job and I haven't heard from him since. I can't blame him for not coming back to say hey. If we're not working on the project I have no reason to stay.

Where are you at? I would suggest the East is better than the West. I'm in western Canada, and we get shit all compared to the East. It sounds like there is a better scene out there, and any European bands will always play the East before booking shows out here. That said, I'd still never leave. It's too beautiful where I'm at.

I'm in middle America. I live near Tulsa, OK. It's a beautiful city, but there's usually not much going on around here.

I would suggest the East also... When you live in the East you are closer to more big cities which makes going to shows easier. I'll tell you.. I never thought this day would come, but there is too much going on in the Baltimore area. There are nights when I have to pick who I want to see. As I get older I just can't go out every night like I used to.. I have missed shows because of this. If nothing else.. the Baltimore are is home to the M3 festival.. so once a year you would have 25 or so cool bands play right in your back yard. If that's not enough already.. Baltimore is home to the Super Bowl Champs. :whistle:

• My Little Pony

I'm in middle America. I live near Tulsa, OK. It's a beautiful city, but there's usually not much going on around here.

I would suggest the East also... When you live in the East you are closer to more big cities which makes going to shows easier. I'll tell you.. I never thought this day would come, but there is too much going on in the Baltimore area. There are nights when I have to pick who I want to see. As I get older I just can't go out every night like I used to.. I have missed shows because of this. If nothing else.. the Baltimore are is home to the M3 festival.. so once a year you would have 25 or so cool bands play right in your back yard. If that's not enough already.. Baltimore is home to the Super Bowl Champs. :whistle:

Yeah, I was gonna suggest you talk to Dave. The bastard. If nothing else, M3? No. If nothing else, KIX!!

Jacob, you're in Tulsa? Do you remember a local band called Glass House? (They used to be called Peter Parker.) I don't know how old you are, but this would've been about 15 - 20 years ago, the mid-90s. They were led by a guitarist named Brad Mitcho, who went to high school with a college buddy of mine at the time. Jenny Labow was also in that band, really young and super cute. My college buddy took me to Tulsa over Christmas break and I met both Mitcho and Labow at some local club there, during a break between glass House sets. Really good pop/rock band that never went anywhere, though Jenny has something of a solo career. Last I heard Mitcho was playing bass in some band called Molly Yes.

I heard Baltimore is a very dangerous city to live in. Is that so? I really don't know much about the east. Any other suitable cities in the area? Also, what about the south? The thought of living in the south has always intrigued me. The idea began to sound even better after watching Johnny Yuma. To be honest I was contemplating going west. Arizona, Nevada, or New Mexico sounded good. If nothing else I could hang out in Portland, OR for a while. I miss my brother.

Jacob, you're in Tulsa? Do you remember a local band called Glass House? (They used to be called Peter Parker.) I don't know how old you are, but this would've been about 15 - 20 years ago, the mid-90s. They were led by a guitarist named Brad Mitcho, who went to high school with a college buddy of mine at the time. Jenny Labow was also in that band, really young and super cute. My college buddy took me to Tulsa over Christmas break and I met both Mitcho and Labow at some local club there, during a break between glass House sets. Really good pop/rock band that never went anywhere, though Jenny has something of a solo career. Last I heard Mitcho was playing bass in some band called Molly Yes.

I'm not sure if I have heard of Glass House or not. I have heard of Jenny Labow. I don't know much about her though. I do remember Molly's Yes. At one point it appeared they were about to break it big. They appeared on local morning shows frequently and I thought they were about to land a record deal. For whatever reason they split. If I remember right that happened around 2000.

Jacob.. There are parts of Baltimore that could be considered "dangerous".. there are parts of every major city that could be considered "dangerous". There are plenty of decent places right outside of Baltimore City that close to a bunch of live music venues. A few other shows coming up are Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, KIX and Rhino Bucket.

All cities have pros and cons.. you just have to weigh out is what works for you... One thing I can say for sure.. There is a lot more to like about Baltimore than Tulsa.

Jacob.. There are parts of Baltimore that could be considered "dangerous".. there are parts of every major city that could be considered "dangerous". There are plenty of decent places right outside of Baltimore City that close to a bunch of live music venues. A few other shows coming up are Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, KIX and Rhino Bucket.

All cities have pros and cons.. you just have to weigh out is what works for you... One thing I can say for sure.. There is a lot more to like about Baltimore than Tulsa.

I wouldn't move to a city if I thought it was dangerous. Just like I wouldn't move to East Tulsa (little Mexico) or North Tulsa. I wouldn't care what kind of awesome things someone told me were going on. There's not a chance in hell I would move to Detroit. The same goes for Chicago. If you say Baltimore is a safe place I'll definitely consider it. I definitely wouldn't argue Tulsa being a better place to live. It is most definitely quiet though.

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2012/jul/05/how-las-vegas-became-hair-metal-us/

Is this depiction of Vegas accurate? It definitely holds promise. The inability to perform originals appears to be a problem in other cities as well.