I like rap

Geoff

Psych.

But I gotta admit it, I love the new Falling In Reverse song. The debut was only so-so to me, but based on the new single I am looking forward to the new disc, 'Fashionably late,' which is due to drop on the 18th of June.

I don't know if this is the style they will incorporate for the full disc, but even though it shouldn't, this really works for me - haven't been able to get the chorus out of my head since literally the first time I heard it:

The rap-metal/rock hybrid is a conundrum. On the one hand, I despise rap with every fibre of my being, but some of the hybrid groups (Linkin Park, Hollywood Undead, etc.) frequently incorporate riffs and choruses that are pretty damned good. A lot of Kid Rock's earlier material also mixed styles in that same vein.

Here are two from Hollywood Undead that have both elements I love and elements I abhor (the second one especially I cannot stop playing, as I love the chorus):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocXjr9nPnvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYNDO9xKfUc

One that's all over the TV used in commercials, reality TV shows, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk48xRzuNvA

Don't hate "Alone" but not overly crazy about it either. Despise "Girls". The song, not the opposite sex.

Guess you can say I'm a fan of rap, at least old school 80s rap. As a wanna be writer, part of the appeal for me lies in the creativity found within a lot of their rhyming patterns. Eminem is a lyrical genius in my opinion but he is about as contemporary as it gets for me within this genre.

I do love this song. LMAO everytime I listen to it. Hope the link works:

You know Geoff, there is some rap I really do like out there, with 2 Live Crew and DJ Quik being my favorites, I believe as with any form of music, for me to truly catch on, and find something salvagable in it, I have to be stoned, no just kidding, it has to present something worth liking, with 2 Live Crew, they were so far ahead of their time, it's almost trivial how they did what they did, when they did it, when it was probably 10 years before anybody even started catching up to them, and I don't just mean being filthy, though as a kid, that was the draw, and they were good at it, I think that's probably the 1st push towards rap I had, but it couldnt just be filthy to be filthy, if I laughed, I looked at it like a comedian, how many comedians are out there? now how many actually make me laugh? probably a handful, DJ Quik is a true wit, he is talented, his beats were always quirky, and his lyrics always ironic, and somewhat clever, but always filthy, and when he was truly angry, and he released 95's Safe + Sound, he fucking hated it up boy, he wasnt just rapping about shooting people and killing, no he released perhaps the most thought provoking, and truly angry rap album ive ever heard, and to this day I listen to it in awh, thinking fuck, he was fucking mad. great shit, and even if you dont like rap, I challenge you to give that one a listen, and while your at it, check out Way 2 Fonky, the one prior to that, if your into hysterically filthy and clever subject matter.

The rap-metal/rock hybrid is a conundrum. On the one hand, I despise rap with every fibre of my being, but some of the hybrid groups (Linkin Park, Hollywood Undead, etc.) frequently incorporate riffs and choruses that are pretty damned good. A lot of Kid Rock's earlier material also mixed styles in that same vein.

Here are two from Hollywood Undead that have both elements I love and elements I abhor (the second one especially I cannot stop playing, as I love the chorus):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocXjr9nPnvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYNDO9xKfUc

One that's all over the TV used in commercials, reality TV shows, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk48xRzuNvA

I see what you mean about 'Levitate'. I tried to listen to that band once but gave up about 2 songs in... never got to that one - what a chorus!

These guys are the ultimate, real life gang bangers, from south central los angeles, for some reason learned to play instruments, they were some of the original crossovers, hip hop\hardcore, they were so pissed off, and released an album full of searing angry and brutal metal, they are great guys, and have done so much to help get kids out of gangs, and on this song he pays special heed to Zack Delarocha lead singer of Rage Against The Machine, who he made no bones about it, Zack is a lame, and a fraud, but if you hear the song, im sure you'll hear what im speaking of, this is Downset, and Anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IQxhkVIEw

I absolutely hate everything about it. The music, culture,ext...yuck!

Finally... something we can 110% agree on!! :rofl2:

We agree more often than you think, I just choose not to let you know ;)

:drink2:

Me too. I used to love hip hop and there are a few tunes I still like (example of a fantastic tune below) but the culture, 99% of the tunes (usually recycled) and 99% of the lyrics (usually about how great the rapper is, how sexually adept he is and/or how he is going to f*** up someone) just annoy me. :rant:

For me I would never say I hate rap/hip hop, as there are so many artists from the genre I like.

But like rock/metal, even the rap genre has sub genres, and I think thats where I can say I hate certain things, and not others.

For instance with rap rock, there are quite a few bands I like such as Kid Rock, Body Count and 24/7 Spyz who all incorporate rap of some sort into their songs. But like any sub genre, theres are rap rock bands I hate (Linkin Park springs to mind).

Then you have the pop rap/hip hop stuff like Will Smith, which is generally just good time, happy music.

Even the classics such as Public Enemy are fine for me.

But then you get gangsta rap, and most of these newer breed acts that just want to rap about how big their dicks are, that they want to shoot people or what car they drive etc. In the words of Sweet Brown, Aint nobody got time for that.

Me too. I used to love hip hop and there are a few tunes I still like (example of a fantastic tune below) but the culture, 99% of the tunes (usually recycled) and 99% of the lyrics (usually about how great the rapper is, how sexually adept he is and/or how he is going to f*** up someone) just annoy me. :rant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU_iLKJQAI

Thats to bad bro, cause rap about sex is the best kind there be, don't believe me, just check out Quik and 2 Live Crew, the masters of it, only they incorporate actual beats, and funny quirky fun shit into their stuff, not just the played out drum machine, and no brain or thought background effects, give these a listen and tell me if you can point out what im talking about, do these sound different to you then most of the rap you hear? they do me. PARENTAL DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!

DJ Quik - Mo Pussy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO8Yc8I3ZE

2 Live Crew - S&M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzSxGDSfeNU

Cody - I'll check those out later (they won't load on my work PC).

This is my favourite hip hop track. Really great tune imo, very original and I still love it to this day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeUQxi7960

Hope the linked worked, I can't check it from here.

I hate this thread lol!

Well one would begin to wonder why you are a main contributor to it? I know I was just begining to axe myself dis, I be like yo check diz out, why dat nigga J-Rod b all up in diz shit, no what i sayin, cuz he be poppin off at da gumz and slidin off at da rim fo a honky who aint be down wit shit lik dis, so waz up wit da shit, no waht i sayin a mutha fucka be hatin people dat be black and brown an shit so why he be up in da fo rum splitin it off at da seemz and showin it up in da house no what i sayin

I hate this thread lol!

Well one would begin to wonder why you are a main contributor to it? I know I was just begining to axe myself dis, I be like yo check diz out, why dat nigga J-Rod b all up in diz shit, no what i sayin, cuz he be poppin off at da gumz and slidin off at da rim fo a honky who aint be down wit shit lik dis, so waz up wit da shit, no waht i sayin a mutha fucka be hatin people dat be black and brown an shit so why he be up in da fo rum splitin it off at da seemz and showin it up in da house no what i sayin

I might feel insulted but I can't read the post so I will never know. Anyone here translate Ebonics? ;)

I would rather sew my head to the carpet then listen to rap & hippidy hop

:lol:

Well put; 99% of the time I agree!

Thats-very-mature-and-open-minded-of-you-gentlemen-I'm-sure-people-don't-care-much-for-worldly-people-who-draw-musical-inspiration-from-each-and-every-type-of-musical-genre-available-I-personally-have-found-I-openly-besought-and-admit-my-hatred-towards-the-genres-in-which-im-the-most-ignorant-and-in-which-I-dont-choose-or-desire-to-give-a-try-but-in-all-reality-I-really-can-find-something-I-like-in-about-every-genre-I-can-think-of-I-do-have-a-problem-with-opera-but-it''s-more-of-the-lack-of-catchy-choruses-then-anything,whats-your-excuse?

Thats-very-mature-and-open-minded-of-you-gentlemen-I'm-sure-people-don't-care-much-for-worldly-people-who-draw-musical-inspiration-from-each-and-every-type-of-musical-genre-available-I-personally-have-found-I-openly-besought-and-admit-my-hatred-towards-the-genres-in-which-im-the-most-ignorant-and-in-which-I-dont-choose-or-desire-to-give-a-try-but-in-all-reality-I-really-can-find-something-I-like-in-about-every-genre-I-can-think-of-I-do-have-a-problem-with-opera-but-it''s-more-of-the-lack-of-catchy-choruses-then-anything,whats-your-excuse?

Love it!

Most rap music seems to me to be sampled heavily, borrow tunes, etc and have very little originality. Hence I referred to 99% - there are a few rap tunes I really like, such as 'Raze It Up' by Onyx, 'Stan' and a few others by Eminem, 2 or 3 tracks by Wu-Tang Clan and this awesome tune:

However, these are the exceptions to me and as a rule it's a genre I avoid.

I bought Public Enemy's 'Fear Of A Black Planet' when I was an impressionable youth, and I can listen to Eminem without vomiting blood, but most rap leaves me cold ... it's just not my thing ...

OUR musical tastes are viewed in much the same way ... ;)