Best of 2013 thus far?

Okay kids, here it is. The most complete and annoying list you'll see for 2013. I figured I could post a top 20 and be nice and popular, but a few kids commented last year that my long annoying list was a cool reference for stuff they may have missed, so here it is, unedited and unattractive. 2013 as I saw it:

Best albums of 2013

11 . Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin - 84
21 . Summers - 364 - 82
22 . Degreed - We Don't Belong - 82

Just a couple of points -

1. I'd love to see your song by song rating of Eden's Curse - that is one album I love, but thought you might struggle with...what with longer songs etc.

2. There's no way on planet earth that Summers and Degreed can have the same score - I like that Summers album, but imo the end of the album is weak and the Degreed pretty much destroys it in every area. Hooks, choruses, melodies....the lot. I reckon Degreed is about a 90% and Summers is a 75% ish.

Cheers

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What release did this Vega album get. Outside of a very expensive import I can't find it in Germany so I'm guessing it never got a release here?

Seems I'm the only person on the planet to really dig the Dregen album?

PM Swazi - he must have it.

Okay kids, here it is. The most complete and annoying list you'll see for 2013. I figured I could post a top 20 and be nice and popular, but a few kids commented last year that my long annoying list was a cool reference for stuff they may have missed, so here it is, unedited and unattractive. 2013 as I saw it:

Best albums of 2013

11 . Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin - 84
21 . Summers - 364 - 82
22 . Degreed - We Don't Belong - 82

Just a couple of points -

1. I'd love to see your song by song rating of Eden's Curse - that is one album I love, but thought you might struggle with...what with longer songs etc.

2. There's no way on planet earth that Summers and Degreed can have the same score - I like that Summers album, but imo the end of the album is weak and the Degreed pretty much destroys it in every area. Hooks, choruses, melodies....the lot. I reckon Degreed is about a 90% and Summers is a 75% ish.

Cheers

Sure mate, here it is for all three discs:

Eden's Curse;

1. Symphony of Sin - very strong opener - 7.75
2. Break the Silence - solid hard rocker - 7.25
3. Evil and Divine - more good hard rock - 7.75
4. Unbreakable - really killer track - 9.50
5. Fallen From Grace - great ballad - 9.25
6. Losing My Faith - good catchy tune - 7.50
7. Rock Bottom - just fantastic again - 9.50
8. Great Unknown - solid hard rocker - 7.25
9. Turn the Page - killer melodic rocker - 9.50
10. Sign of the Cross - good solid hard rocker - 7.50
11. Wings to Fly - another very good melodic rock tune - 9.00
12. Devil in Disguise - killer melodic hard rocker again - 9.00
13. Where Is the Love ? - really great closer also - 9.00
- Total - 84.42
Summers;
01. Shot In The Dark - nice and safe, but good melodic rock opener - 7.50
02. Superhero - nice catchy melodic rock - 8.50
03. Girls - more very catchy melodic rock with a huge chorus - 8.50
04. Too Late - beautiful melodic rock with some great rhythm guitar - 9.50
05. Sometimes - good strong melodic rock - 8.00
06. Steal Away - very nice, again catchy melodic rock - 8.75
07. Let’s Make Love - killer melodic rock ballad, like DL - 9.50
08. Billy - solid rocker, not amazing - 7.00
09. Let’s Go Round - not great, kind of a filler - 6.50
10. Told You So - stunning chorus - killer tune - 9.75
11. Terminator - good verses, not much of a chorus - 7.00
12. Rock Machine (A Song for Phil) - another pretty weak tune - 6.50
- Total - 80.83

Degreed;

01. Intro - intro -
02. Black Cat - good melodic hard rocker with a pretty awesome chorus - 8.25
03. What If - killer melodic rocker - great chorus - 9.25
04. In For The Ride - another killer melodic rock chorus - good tune because of it - 8.00
05. Inside Of Me - another good melodic rocker with a good chorus - 7.75
06. Follow Her - solid balladic melodic rock - 7.50
07. Blind Hearted - as good as the best song on the disc to date - very cool hard rocker with a big chorus - 9.00
08. Here I Am - nice solid hard rock - 7.50
09. Access Denied - very good melodic rocker with a nice big chorus - 8.50
10. Coming Home - good uptempo melodic rocker - nice - 7.75
11. We Don't Belong - great melodic rocker - I really like this one - 9.00
12. Just Another Heartache (bonus track for Japan) - nice big melodic rocker - 7.50
13. We Don't Belong feat. Godbrother (bonus track for Japan) - -
- Total - 81.82
To be honest I didn't even really notice the song lengths on the Eden's Curse disc until a little later. A good sign they were keeping my mind well occupied, I guess? ;)
Summers and Degreed I like both a lot, both very similar. The best tracks are amazing, but there's gaps inbetween on both, imo. Summers has more clunkers, but also a couple more winners too, imo of course. No clunkers on the Degreed disc, but also not as consistent as the first half of the Summers disc. I dunno mate, coin toss over the two to be honest. If I had to pick one from the collection to play, with a machete pointed at my earlobe, I'd probably pick the Summers one 51 out of a 100 times, so I gave that one the nod.
As for Stryper, I agree with your sentiments. Good album no doubt, but maybe a little over-excitement about it, imo.
I'm curious, would you still put the Lima disc ahead of all your list? I dropped an initial 74% rating on it today, which would put it well outside my top 50 for 2013, personally. Curious to see if it's holding tight for you?
Haha, I just noticed the Degreed score is actually higher than the Summers one. ;) I do do that sometimes, though... add a "preference" point here and there if I see two closely rated albums and I prefer one over the other. I'm sneaky that way...
Oh, and PeterS, sorry mate, I heard that Dregen album and that was one of the few I just couldn't even be bothered rating. Hated it and discarded it immediately. :(

Nice cheers mate.

Degreed - tracks 8, 9, 10 are way too low - those 3 are stunning imo.

Summers - 'lets make love' I end up skipping every time lol. Drags on and on and on.....

Re Johnny Lima only time will tell. I may have been a tad hasty placing it above WET & Find Me. Its better than 73% for sure. The first 5 are all killers for a start. I have listened to it about 20 times tho - those hooks really sink in. The ballads are great too

• 4 weeks later...

OK, its time to make some minor adjustments (& well deserved) to my 2013 best of list

The main shifter is Degreed taking its well earned spot in the top 10. Ive been listening to this a lot over the last weeks and its a pretty special album chock full of quality tunes.

Find Me I had to move up one spot - excellent album which Im coming back to more than the WET album.

Stryper Im afraid is on the decline.........I do really like this album, but the diction is killing me (I just cant hear half the lyrics!) and the production is tinny I find...........compared to say Find Me which is sonically awesome imo.

well, here you go -

1. Pretty Maids - Motherland

2. De La Cruz - Street Level

3. Find Me - Wings Of Love

4. WET - Rise Up

5. Degreed - We Don't Belong

6. Adriangale - Suckerpunch!

7. Edens Curse - Symphony of Sin

8. Heavens Basement - Filthy Empire

9. Vega - What The Hell

10. Hardcore Superstar - C'Mon Take On Me

11. Reckless Love - Spirit

12. Stryper - No More Hell To Pay

13. Lavalle - Dear Sanity

14. Rage of Angels - s/t

15. James Labrie - Impermanent Resonance

16. Tainted Nation - FEAR

17. Santa Cruz - Screamin For Adrenaline

18. The Theander Expression - Strange Nostalgia

19. Faith Circus - Turn Up The Band

20. Place Vendome - Thunder In The Distance.

I'd be tempted to slip Seventh Key in at number 10 - great AOR record with some prog touches. Late to the party, but really enjoying this one and my initial quick spin on Spotify was a way from the truth - a lot here going on and some fantastic musicianship (as if you'd expect anything less?).

OK, its time to make some minor adjustments (& well deserved) to my 2013 best of list

The main shifter is Degreed taking its well earned spot in the top 10. Ive been listening to this a lot over the last weeks and its a pretty special album chock full of quality tunes.

Find Me I had to move up one spot - excellent album which Im coming back to more than the WET album.

Stryper Im afraid is on the decline.........I do really like this album, but the diction is killing me (I just cant hear half the lyrics!) and the production is tinny I find...........compared to say Find Me which is sonically awesome imo.

well, here you go -

3. Find Me - Wings Of Love

4. WET - Rise Up

5. Degreed - We Don't Belong

6. Adriangale - Suckerpunch!

9. Vega - What The Hell

12. Stryper - No More Hell To Pay

13. Lavalle - Dear Sanity

14. Rage of Angels - s/t

16. Tainted Nation - FEAR

17. Santa Cruz - Screamin For Adrenaline

18. The Theander Expression - Strange Nostalgia

19. Faith Circus - Turn Up The Band

20. Place Vendome - Thunder In The Distance.

I'd be tempted to slip Seventh Key in at number 10 - great AOR record with some prog touches. Late to the party, but really enjoying this one and my initial quick spin on Spotify was a way from the truth - a lot here going on and some fantastic musicianship (as if you'd expect anything less?).

I'm suprised it didn't make your Top 10 earlier. Now that you heard it, it sure has a place there.

Definitely on my Top 10 list ....

Sadly, that Seventh Key disc really didn't do much for me at all as a whole package. A couple of really great moments, but too much that did not really tickle my nuts.

Inevitably, there are always a few discs I miss each year, and 2013 was no different. Recently I have spun the latest discs from Lovex, Forever The Sickest Kids (how'd I miss that!!!) and also not that I really cared enough to notice, but the latest Panic! At The Disco one is actually pretty cool. Very dancey at times, but some big hooks. Will see in time how many others pop up, but just a brief mention to those I missed first time around.

The Lovex one is very strong. Not as good as the previous disc, but good. The FTSK disc is also their weakest yet, by far, but still a good strong disc.

Michael Paynter is also a very good modern disc which I missed.

Oh, was that 2013? That'll definitely need to be added to the mix then, also.

• 2 years later...

OK guys if you are going to be soooooo anal that I can't include Johnny Lima, even though I've paid my money and have the MP3s.........how is this any different to a digital release??..............well here you go a full top 15

[all i will say is that Johnny will be included in the 2014 list based on the full 15 songs NOT the 11 being released.....cos my CD will have 15!]

3. WET - Rise Up

4. Find Me - Wings Of Love

5. Adriangale - Suckerpunch!

6. Stryper - No More Hell To Pay

9. Vega - What The Hell

12. Lavalle - Dear Sanity

13. Rage of Angels - s/t

14. Degreed - We Don't Belong

I do still want to hear the Reece and Maxx Explosion discs though as I think both could make this list.

Wow, 2013 is an odd year - I have to confess to not having listened to these much at all.

The 3 which are a mile ahead would be -

1. Degreed - We Don't Belong

2. Vega - What The Hell

3. De La Cruz - street Level

Defo need to pull some Maids out - the last 2

Never play WET (I do the debut - a lot!) or Find Me - both have those have fallen off the radar for me....bit too generic.

1. Hardcore Superstar - C'mon Take Me On

2. Bobaflex - Charlatan's Web

3. Bai Bang - All Around The World

4. Buckcherry - Confessions

5. Love Cream - First Taste

6. Pop Evil - Onyx

7. Tom Keifer - The Way Life Goes

8. Mike Tramp - Cobblestone Street

9. The Fuzz Drivers - ST

10. The Answer - New Horizon

6. Pop Evil - Onyx

9. The Fuzz Drivers - ST

I like that HS album but they had started to slide imho......not quite the perfection of the previous few albums and of course we all know the disaster which followed ;)

Hope they see the error of their ways and get back on track with a killer new album in 2017 (hopefully!)

OK guys if you are going to be soooooo anal that I can't include Johnny Lima, even though I've paid my money and have the MP3s.........how is this any different to a digital release??..............well here you go a full top 15

[all i will say is that Johnny will be included in the 2014 list based on the full 15 songs NOT the 11 being released.....cos my CD will have 15!]

3. WET - Rise Up

9. Vega - What The Hell

13. Rage of Angels - s/t

I do still want to hear the Reece and Maxx Explosion discs though as I think both could make this list.

Wow, 2013 is an odd year - I have to confess to not having listened to these much at all.

2. Vega - What The Hell

Never play WET (I do the debut - a lot!) or Find Me - both have those have fallen off the radar for me....bit too generic.

You just SHOT one the best breakdowns/choruses ever!

6. Pop Evil - Onyx

9. The Fuzz Drivers - ST

I like that HS album but they had started to slide imho......not quite the perfection of the previous few albums and of course we all know the disaster which followed ;)

Hope they see the error of their ways and get back on track with a killer new album in 2017 (hopefully!)

Yeah, for me this album was their peak.

Expected WAAAAAY too much from the most recent one and was just let down.

Sad, don't know what they were thinking.

Maybe the market in Europe is after that kind of stuff?

3. WET - Rise Up

9. Vega - What The Hell

13. Rage of Angels - s/t

2. Vega - What The Hell

Not for me, absolutely love the W.E.T., and the Find Me is great!

3. WET - Rise Up

9. Vega - What The Hell

13. Rage of Angels - s/t

2. Vega - What The Hell

The generic comment was aimed at Find Me. I should love it but for some reason both just miss the mark for me and not much longevity

Defo stuff i prefer over those albums.

I fear we will never hear another WET album :(

3. WET - Rise Up

9. Vega - What The Hell

13. Rage of Angels - s/t

2. Vega - What The Hell

The generic comment was aimed at Find Me. I should love it but for some reason both just miss the mark for me and not much longevity

Defo stuff i prefer over those albums.

I fear we will never hear another WET album :(

W.E.T., I know! Damn JSS and his heavy modern crap! lol We can all still hope I guess.