The Poodles - Tour De Force

Stefan

• 4 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Why isn't anyone talking about this release? It's kicking my ass, that's for sure. Hard and heavy. Much better than Performacracy.

Why isn't anyone talking about this release? It's kicking my ass, that's for sure. Hard and heavy. Much better than Performacracy.

No full length tracks anywhere! I'm waiting for mine to arrive. From the samples alone, I know it will be better than the last one.

On the contrary, after one full spin, I'm disappointed with the new album. Heavier in some places, but looks like most of the melodies are gone, surely there are few songs that still has the hooks such as 'Misery Loves Company', 'Shut Up', '40 Days and 40 Nights', 'Miracle', and 'Now Is The Time' but even those songs half of them has average verses. And the rest are forgettable songs with probably in the range of 6 - 7.5. Hate to say it as I'm a fan, but I guess the band reaches a new low with this one, and I do think 'Performocracy' is way better.

73%

On the contrary, after one full spin, I'm disappointed with the new album. Heavier in some places, but looks like most of the melodies are gone, surely there are few songs that still has the hooks such as 'Misery Loves Company', 'Shut Up', '40 Days and 40 Nights', 'Miracle', and 'Now Is The Time' but even those songs half of them has average verses. And the rest are forgettable songs with probably in the range of 6 - 7.5. Hate to say it as I'm a fan, but I guess the band reaches a new low with this one, and I do think 'Performocracy' is way better.

73%

Holy shit, mate, that's really strange to me. I heard this one yesterday, and I gotta say (admittedly only one spin so far) I thought this was by far their best album to date. I wouldn't rate their previous albums as high as you I don't think (mid 80's and so on) but as I heard this yesterday I thought it was definitely their most consistent and the song-writing seemed to be a lot stronger than normal. Better chorus hooks especially. Yeah, I'd only consider myself a partial fan of this band, but I definitely like this new disc.

My only slight issue early on is the end of a few of their choruses. Weird point, but a few times I noticed a really killer hooky chorus, but a really plain/poor ending line to finish the chorus. I'll listen more and cite examples, but 'Shut up' stood out on first spin. Killer catchy chorus, but the actual delivery of the song title line was weak. Anyway, small, silly thing.

This is a good disc. Listen to it. I think it's the first Poodles disc where the ratio of killer to filler is very favourable.

I said now.

'Tour De Force' is a very good disc for what it is with some really nice tracks. 'Metal Will Stand Tall' is still my fave album, but this one is high up in their discography..good effort.

73%

Holy shit, mate, that's really strange to me. I heard this one yesterday, and I gotta say (admittedly only one spin so far) I thought this was by far their best album to date. I wouldn't rate their previous albums as high as you I don't think (mid 80's and so on) but as I heard this yesterday I thought it was definitely their most consistent and the song-writing seemed to be a lot stronger than normal. Better chorus hooks especially. Yeah, I'd only consider myself a partial fan of this band, but I definitely like this new disc.

My only slight issue early on is the end of a few of their choruses. Weird point, but a few times I noticed a really killer hooky chorus, but a really plain/poor ending line to finish the chorus. I'll listen more and cite examples, but 'Shut up' stood out on first spin. Killer catchy chorus, but the actual delivery of the song title line was weak. Anyway, small, silly thing.

This is a good disc. Listen to it. I think it's the first Poodles disc where the ratio of killer to filler is very favourable.

I said now.

I do like this one, but still prefer Clash Of The Elements.

73%

I said now.

73% still has the chance to climb maybe to 80% by the end of the day, but then it's on par with 'Sweet Trade' and still below the other three.

I think the problem here I hear is many average verses and like you say, some choruses need a good finisher. I just see many killer songs in the three albums are far better than this new one, but I admit they need a little variation to avoid being trapped in the same formula. I believe this is a risk they take and sadly didn't really work out for me, although I'm eager to invest more time for this one because I like them as a band :)

anyway, how's the baby ? losin much sleep already ? looks like your time was absorbed by him

73%

I said now.

73% still has the chance to climb maybe to 80% by the end of the day, but then it's on par with 'Sweet Trade' and still below the other three.

I think the problem here I hear is many average verses and like you say, some choruses need a good finisher. I just see many killer songs in the three albums are far better than this new one, but I admit they need a little variation to avoid being trapped in the same formula. I believe this is a risk they take and sadly didn't really work out for me, although I'm eager to invest more time for this one because I like them as a band :)

anyway, how's the baby ? losin much sleep already ? looks like your time was absorbed by him

Yeah mate, he's going well. He does demand a lot of time but we're still trying to get on with business as usual. Still getting my time to surf as much as before, so I'm content enough. It's a busy time in all our lives at the moment, but yeah, he's a very handsome little devil and those cheeky little smiles sure as hell makes it all worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the new Poodles for a few days now. It's pretty good, might get even better with more spins, but solid and more consistant than Performocracy. The biggest change from other releases is the guitar work as it is a little more shredding, but Henrik could still let loose a bit more.

Misery Loves Company - 7.5/10 (heavy blast, the chorus is OK)

Shut Up! - 9/10 (great groove and guitars on this one, and I really like the chorus)

Happily Ever After - 8/10 (Heavy again, good tune)

Viva Democracy - 7.5/10 (typical Poodles, not ground breaking but solid, nice bridge)

Going Down - 9/10 (Love the chorus, a favourite of mine so far)

Leaving The Past To Pass - 9/10 (Another great ballad, they have at least one good on each release)

40 Days And 40 Nights - 9.5/10 (There is a good reason this the first single, it's probably the best and most melodic track)

Kings & Fools - 8.5/10 (Nice groove and an awesome chorus)

Miracle - 8/10 (another typical Poodles track)

Godspeed - 8/10 (a little more mid tempo, with a good chorus and some nice guitar work)

Now Is The Time - 9/10 (This one is typical Poodles that I like, great chorus and pace)

Only Just Begun - 8/10 (Another good track with some crunchy guitars)

En För Alla För En - 9/10 (Awesome, for a bonus track in a language I don't understand)

overall - 85%

The second half is a bit stronger and for the most part this is typical Poodles, nothing really new, but if you liked them before you should like this one. I normally never say this but this release could use another ballad or two.

• 1 year later...