Güru - White

Stefan

The-Band.jpg

The band Güru from Spain releases their new album 'White' in April. If you like bands like Mr. Big, Toto, Bon Jovi and Journey you may like this.

Interesting stuff!

Portada_digipack.jpg

Tracks:

White
Straight To Your Heart
It's All Different Now
If You Go
In My Life
Break The Spell
Won't B 2gether
Angry Song
My Rocker Ass
Ray Of Light
The Voice Inside
I Don'T Give A Damn

Samples: https://soundcloud.com/gururockband

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKBKQ7x1vHI

If it's like their previous releases it'll have 9 fillers to every one great tune. I continue to check these guys out because they have potential to release great music. But fair play to them, they want to be a little unique and in the process I believe they record scores of rubbish. But there's usually one good song amongst the rubble...

• 2 months later...

Sneaky f*ckers. Nice job releasing (by far) the album's best song, and only real pure AOR tune. I like this song, and 'Ray of light' is good too. But don't be fooled into thinking the whole album is this good.

Sneaky f*ckers. Nice job releasing (by far) the album's best song, and only real pure AOR tune. I like this song, and 'Ray of light' is good too. But don't be fooled into thinking the whole album is this good.

I lasted about 1 min of that song

Zzzzzzz

It is not the album's only AOR tune by a long shot. That's just plainly false. Soundbytes on offer clearly demonstrate that for anyone willing to give it a chance.

Isn't this one of McNeice's projects? He constantly talks them up as the Best Thing Ever. To me they're kind of meh. Formulaic modern AOR with a couple good songs here and there, but nothing really distinguishable than so many other of the same genre.

Dear Rev,

Please show examples of just where I have done as you state.

Hey Andrew:

I'll freely admit to some exaggeration in my post -- but the Internet is the repository of overstatement for purposes of conveying thoughts/emotions/opinions. For example, from your own site's full-page advert text for this new GURU release:

- "Their remarkable ability is evident in the virtuosity deployed."

"Virtuosity"? These guys are virtuosos? By definition a virtuoso can play anything, and whatever their talents I doubt these guys are all that. Let's stick some Mozart or Miles Davis charts in front of them and see how they do.

- "Guru is like breathing fresh air into an oversaturated market of artists made with Protools and Photoshop."

Yeah, because the same cannot be said of any other modern AOR band, right?

I find it reasonable to presume that since your company is responsible for this new GURU release, then those above quotes are the product of your own marketing efforts. Or are you disassociating yourself from them?

And this from your review of their debut release: "These fabulous Spanish guys have recorded a million dollar sounding album here, no idea how!" Really? You've no idea how they recorded an indie disc that came out sounding great? (Maybe there was some Protools involved.)

So yeah, there's some exaggeration to be found online.

I simply don't have the same high opinion of this band that you apparently do, and I don't think that's worth getting one's sensitivities riled up.

Otherwise, I quite enjoy your site and use it as a frequent information resource, so keep up the good work there.

Thanks for the post. That's their press bio. Not my words. I like to let the music do the talking for the most part. I do think these guys are extremely good musicians though. No problem if you don't dig the album....hopefully something else I come up with will be more to your liking. Cheers...

• 1 month later...

This one is definitely not as bad as I thought and in fact, I'm pretty surprised with some splendid guitar playing and the vocal is pretty good too, not heavily accented as many Spanish singer. Songs are cleverly varied, with some hints of TOTO and JOURNEY here and there, good mix of tempo, and the arrangement isn't very ordinary, although I admit there are a few of weaker tracks like 'Break The Spell', 'Angry Song', or 'I Don't Give A Damn', the rest are quite enjoyable, especially 'Straight To Your Heart', the slow ballad 'If You Go', the heavy - probably the heaviest track, 'Won't B 2Gether', and also 'Ray of Light' is just beautiful.

Production is also very good, the sound is crisp, and musicianship is also very good. All in all, better than I expected, but still can't break the 80% mark, so good to have but perhaps not essential.

78%